• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. Just started the game this week after years of avoiding it due to the hate.

User Info: Nnamz

Nnamz
1 year ago#1
I just don't get it. The game is great. While the story doesn't match up to the original trilogy, it's still pretty decent. The gameplay of Andromeda, though, blows the original trilogy out of the water. Shouldn't that matter more? It's more fun to actually play this game than Mass Effect 2 or 3 (I watched my wife play both of them this month for the first time and even she says Andromeda's gameplay looks better).

There have been games that reviewed poorly that ended up jiving with me in the past, but the disparity between the zeitgeist surrounding this game and my enjoyment of it is so massive it has me confused.

User Info: Redmacabre

Redmacabre
1 year ago#2
I avoided Dragon Age Inquisition due to poor reviews from others. Snapped it up on sale and ended up really enjoying it.

In the end, the only opinion that matters is your own.

User Info: mightbedaGOAT

mightbedaGOAT
1 year ago#3
Nnamz posted...
The gameplay of Andromeda, though, blows the original trilogy out of the water. Shouldn't that matter more? It's more fun to actually play this game than Mass Effect 2 or 3

That's entirely subjective and will vary from person-to-person, depending on who you ask. Personally, the combat in Andromeda was a bit of a letdown for me and a step backwards from 3 in many ways.

As far as the hate-train goes, much of it was frustration carried over from Bioware's last couple of outings at the time (DA2 reception was lukewarm/ME3's infamous ending issues) coming to a head, though the game didn't do itself any favors with its early bugs, visual deficiencies, lackluster narrative, etc.
Queen City's Finest
PSN: illius_willius

User Info: HentaiMan

HentaiMan
1 year ago#4
Redmacabre posted...
I avoided Dragon Age Inquisition due to poor reviews from others. Snapped it up on sale and ended up really enjoying it.

In the end, the only opinion that matters is your own.
This. Gfaqs is a poop pool of eDrama, whining (like 'sJws rhaa!!!'), extreme fanboy tribes, and trolls anyway. It felt great to finally ignore all that and just buy/play/watch/eat what I want. Your money, your time spent. No one elses.
https://youtu.be/tCI396HyhbQ https://youtu.be/tae8F4gkfiw
<(^.^<) <(^.^)> http://imgur.com/Mr374Y0 http://imgur.com/COylKWt
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: gu-gohan

gu-gohan
1 year ago#5
Nnamz posted...
The gameplay of Andromeda, though, blows the original trilogy out of the water. Shouldn't that matter more?
No, of course not. It's the story, characters and dialogues that matters most. At least for me. And to the majority. Even more so, because it's not some gameplay-based game like CoD, but Mass Effect, where the original trilogy inspired and entertained millions of fans.

I'm not saying gameplay isn't important. But on the same time it's also no major factor. Apart from this, it's not fair to the original trilogy to compare it to Andromeda gameplay-wise due to thw fact, that the latter is a much newer game that had to fight with less technical restrictions.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: xsdarknesssx

xsdarknesssx
1 year ago#6
Most of the hate was due to the fact that it was pretty broken early on and because it was not Shepard. While I still like 2 and maybe 3 more I do agree that it gets more hate than it deserves now that is not a dumpster fire.
Nnamz posted...
The gameplay of Andromeda, though, blows the original trilogy out of the water. Shouldn't that matter more?

No, because even if you were right (I disagree with the claim), the chore to get to the gameplay in Andromeda is cancerous. The inventory system is abominable, the crafting system is pathetic and the fact that you can't try out a weapon you create before sinking resources into it is in-excusable. Further, the common glitching, the insane load times, the tying of most significant combat encounters to hours of a drivel story, the s***ty checkpointing in missions, etc. all leads to a situation where, even if the gameplay is better than what is in ME2 and 3, the hassle to get to it is at the very least dampening on how much that matters.
"That thick shaft that causes women to shudder!"

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 year ago#8
DeadBankerDream posted...
you can't try out a weapon you create before sinking resources into it is in-excusable.
What?
Are you saying that you would want to try a weapon before actually making the weapon? How would that make any kind of sense?
Your hair is winter fire January embers My heart burns there too
On the off chance that you're not going to live forever, why not take a shot a being happy now?

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 year ago#9
sano83 posted...
What?
Are you saying that you would want to try a weapon before actually making the weapon? How would that make any kind of sense?
They mean until you made it you may not know how it actually handles as you may never have come across the weapon before. And if you do not like how it operates then tough, those resources are gone. It's not a problem if you mine a lot but if you do not you may just have made a turkey and it's not Christmas yet. Of course if you hard save before making it, it's bit of a moot point. XD
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: sano83

sano83
1 year ago#10
Olld-Onne posted...
They mean until you made it you may not know how it actually handles as you may never have come across the weapon before. And if you do not like how it operates then tough, those resources are gone. It's not a problem if you mine a lot but if you do not you may just have made a turkey and it's not Christmas yet. Of course if you hard save before making it, it's bit of a moot point. XD
Yes, but if I give you a cooking recipe, you will not know exactly how it will taste until you make it. At most you will have a general idea.
Which is what the game gives you when you are about to create an item, a general idea.

Now, while what you are describing might be useful for the player, it still doesn't make sense in game.
Your hair is winter fire January embers My heart burns there too
On the off chance that you're not going to live forever, why not take a shot a being happy now?
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. Just started the game this week after years of avoiding it due to the hate.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A