Bioware has never had good graphics OR animations

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. Bioware has never had good graphics OR animations

User Info: jw91

jw91
5 months ago#1
The only games they've ever made that actually looked and played like a AAA titles were DA:I and Mass Effect 3. Every single other game they have made has been several years behind the curve in the graphics/animations department.

-DA:O looked like absolute ass even for its time and was riddled with TONS of immersion-breaking bugs just like ME:A. Still it was better in other areas, such as giving the player the illusion of choice without making them feel cheated (something they only ever did well again with ME2 and arguably DA2--not counting its disregard of your Origin choices).
-DA2 had decent character graphics, but a very flat, unfinished-looking texture and color palette for environments and buildings.
-Mass Effect 1 played like total garbage on consoles (can't speak for PC), had piss-poor frame rates, looked below average, used only an extremely small handful of character animations, and had an extremely wonky/slow dialogue wheel (poor transitions from one bit of dialogue to another).
-Mass Effect 2 looked better but still wasn't up to par cosmetically with most other franchises at the time. It did play A LOT better though. The characters in dialogue exchanges STILL used a very small pool of animations too.
-Mass Effect 3 is the pinnacle of Bioware's technical achievement (story woes notwithstanding).
-DA:I had all the glossy polish of ME3, but was riddled with immersion-breaking or at times game-breaking bugs.

Someone please tell me how ME:A is somehow supposed to be SO MUCH WORSE than Bioware's other efforts. The story feels more by the numbers for sure, but Bioware has always been about generica in virtually ALL of their original IPs. ME is sci-fi generica and DA is fantasy generica. Their specialty is background lore and branching choices, something Andromeda admittedly fumbled with too, but it isn't THAT MUCH worse than their other games, objectively.

User Info: iKANNIBAL

iKANNIBAL
5 months ago#2
True, I remember Liara and her wonky eyes. But still, NONE were as bad as Andromeda's animations and dead eyes. When it launched people looked like they were either robots or suffering from ptsd. Even the original Mass Effect had better. So the bashing was deserved in that respect.

http://leosigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/mass-effect-andromeda.jpg

On top of that the character models were never this terrible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4WzjTeXAAEaW8u.jpg
Screw creation club

User Info: Carribean_Cool

Carribean_Cool
5 months ago#3
While dated now, the character models from ME1 still hold up. In ME3 some of those models took a turn for the worst, like Joker's eyes being wide open.
HH1 nobody on this board takes you seriously.I bet you think youre "one of the guys" on here and that people respect you. how about NO? -shycheesecake

User Info: NibeIungsnarf

NibeIungsnarf
5 months ago#4
I can't remember any ME game having as consistently awful animations as Andromeda. And yeah, technology evolves. ME1's animation not being as good as [insert something from this year] is perfectly reasonable. None of them ever had me questioning how it was released in the state they were in.

And ME1's animation despite its age is still better than what Andromeda was released with.

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
5 months ago#5
jw91 posted...
used only an extremely small handful of character animations

yeah that's something that bugged the hell out me honestly.

It meant every single character in the game had the EXACT same body language, regardless of race, gender, body structure, personality, etc.
GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

User Info: Vallix

Vallix
5 months ago#6
Uh what? Before Andromeda Mass Effect's animations and graphics were fine. When the first 2 ME games dropped everyone was stunned about the alien design, stating they were some of the best looking character models of the time. And they were, few games especially on consoles had better character models than Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2 was beautiful, and still holds up to this day. Likewise the character models were used as examples as some of the best looking models of the era outside of Crysis all over gaming forums. You must've not been around.

It's Dragon Age that always had meh graphics and animations.
''That time Thor, formerly a B-list hero defeated DC's entire team of A-listers at the box office. History has been made Nov 17, 2017 friends''

jw91
5 months ago#7
Vallix posted...
Uh what? Before Andromeda Mass Effect's animations and graphics were fine. When the first 2 ME games dropped everyone was stunned about the alien design, stating they were some of the best looking character models of the time. And they were, few games especially on consoles had better character models than Mass Effect. Mass Effect 2 was beautiful, and still holds up to this day. Likewise the character models were used as examples as some of the best looking models of the era outside of Crysis all over gaming forums. You must've not been around.

It's Dragon Age that always had meh graphics and animations.

Nah, I was around. I never mentioned the designs in and of themselves, just the quality of their presentation.

The ME2 character models were fine for their time, but they used s*** animation on anything that wasn't their faces or Miranda's ass (and like someone above me said, everyone in the trilogy has the exact same body language). Some character face models were also s***, like Joker's permanently-surprised eyes.

Textures were also piss-poor for virtually everything but characters. Guns, armors, environments, ships, hell even Jack's tattoos did NOT hold up to scrutiny and felt very uneven compared to the character models. Jack's tattoos in particular were jarring because of her hi-res face mixed in with the low-res patterns on her body, particularly on 360.

Don't even get me started on the creepy glycerin tears.

I don't consider that AAA presentation. Not then, not now.
(message deleted)

User Info: Vallix

Vallix
5 months ago#9
The original Mass Effect's were still hailed as having some of the best character models on consoles at the time. That's no small feat, how can they not be good if they were some of the best gaming had to offer. We didn't have THAT much in 2010 hence Uncharted 2 easily claiming the throne.

ME2 was compared with some of the best at the time including Uncharted. It's design and atmosphere was well praised. It still holds up today even compared with Andromeda. One of the reasons for that was not only graphic beauty, but better artistic direction overall. Do Kasumi's loyalty quest, go out there on the balcony and just look in awe at the atmoshere. The city in the distance, the mountains and cars driving by. It was just beautiful, and still looks as beautiful today. Andromeda, despite having updated graphics still fails to have the same impact.
''That time Thor, formerly a B-list hero defeated DC's entire team of A-listers at the box office. History has been made Nov 17, 2017 friends''

jw91
5 months ago#10
Vallix posted...
The original Mass Effect's were still hailed as having some of the best character models on consoles at the time. That's no small feat, how can they not be good if they were some of the best gaming had to offer. We didn't have THAT much in 2010 hence Uncharted 2 easily claiming the throne.

ME2 was compared with some of the best at the time including Uncharted. It's design and atmosphere was well praised. It still holds up today even compared with Andromeda. One of the reasons for that was not only graphic beauty, but better artistic direction overall. Do Kasumi's loyalty quest, go out there on the balcony and just look in awe at the atmoshere. The city in the distance, the mountains and cars driving by. It was just beautiful, and still looks as beautiful today. Andromeda, despite having updated graphics still fails to have the same impact.

I played Mass Effect 1 shortly before Mass Effect 2 came out. Fair enough. But Mass Effect 2 never impressed me in the graphics department, which I consider completely separate from art direction and atmosphere.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. Bioware has never had good graphics OR animations

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived