• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. This is not a bad game, it is just a bad sequel...

User Info: Razer1313

Razer1313
1 year ago#1
Now that I've spent a year away, things have calmed down, patches have come out, and EA has committed other atrocities (and now that the sordid history of this game's development has surfaced), I have to say:

This is not a bad game, it is just not the game we were wanting or expecting. As others have said, this is not a good mass effect sequel. It is not worthy of being "Mass Effect 4." But in truth, it is not supposed to be Mass Effect 4; this is Mass Effect Andromeda. It is a spin off. Entirely new cast of characters, entirely new location, massively overhauled gameplay, and an entirely new plot which has very little connection to the previous games. Therefore, this is a spin off; and all things considered, it is a good one.

Addressing all the "hate" that is circling about, half of that came from the unfinished state of the game at launch (the bugs, the glitches, the animation issues etc.) that, while unacceptable, has since been patched and is in working order for the most part now. The other half came from particularly high expectations (mine included). We were lead to believe (or maybe we just convinced ourselves) that this was going to be a true sequel which would build on everything the past games did right and fix everything it did wrong. Unfortunately, this is not what happened. We got an entirely new game that was a spin off that shared no more than the same universe as the originals, and that would have been fine if we were prepared for it (and if the devs had more time to polish the game). All other hate, is basically bandwagon hate.

TL;DR: Not a bad game because it is a spinoff and not actually a sequel.

Also, if your curious you should look up the dev history of this game. All things considered, it is a miracle this game came out as good as it did. Iirc, the launch version was made in approximately 18 months by a team who had only ever worked on DLC projects before and with a budget only a fraction of ME3. Not to mention how the game was scrapped like half a dozen times because their original ambitions were impossible.
XBL GT: SleazyEagle72, I'll try anything if its fun!
  1. Boards
  2. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  3. This is not a bad game, it is just a bad sequel...
  • Topic Archived