• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Best build for the Ringed City DLC?
KINGR1P 1 month ago#1
Last build I ran thru the game with was STR/FTH which I planned on doing the DLC with that build but I didn't like it. I don't like being gimped for 70% of NG since a lot of the spells worth a damn are pretty much end game other than healing and a lightning buff.

Anyway, got a bigger TV plus a PS5 and I played through Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne and Demons Souls Remastered on it. I plan on doing Dark Souls Remastered a bit later as it's my least favorite Soulsborne gameplay wise, and since I'm itching to play a Soulsborne I haven't played in a little while my choice is Dark Souls 3.

Now, I have several characters already but I do not mind making another character with the same build if it handles the DLC really well. Initially, I was just going to do a heavy armor pure STR character since my first and only STR character in DaS3 is using light armor. However, I heard it doesn't make too much of a difference in PvE which is what I primarily play. Off memory I have made since launch:

STR build (Light Armor)
Pure Mage
Pyro
Battle Mage (mostly magic but also decent with DEX)
Thief build (dagger and caestus with that stealth spell)
DEX build
STR/FTH build

I feel I'm forgetting one but I can't load up the game and look right now.

Any advice from the other vets?

Edit: I just remembered I did make a heavy armor STR build but my PS4 I played it on bricked and the Cloud didn't follow transfer the save. I know I beat the game with that build and the trophy dates prove it, but for some reason it has me at the start of Irrythll Dungeon. The STR Light Armor build I made a bit later.
PSN: Rip_Da_Prince
(edited 1 month ago)
Adam_Ocelot 1 month ago#2
I don’t really think there is a best build for Ringed City. Mobs have various weaknesses, but offhand I’d think that fire/chaos would be your best option (in the most cases, not all), however fire/chaos are not the best options for any of the 3 (~real) bosses. Bleed wrecks demons and Gael, but I’ve not checked Midir and bleed, so…

Best guess right now would be twinblades I suppose, made Sharp to allow for situational buffs/resins.
If only eye
could see
(edited 1 month ago)
KINGR1P 1 month ago#3
Adam_Ocelot posted...
I don’t really think there is a best build for Ringed City. Mobs have various weaknesses, but offhand I’d think that fire/chaos would be your best option (in the most cases, not all), however fire/chaos are not the best options for any of the 3 (~real) bosses. Bleed wrecks demons and Gael, but I’ve not checked Midir and bleed, so…

Best guess right now would be twinblades I suppose, made Sharp to allow for situational buffs/resins.

I never made a bleed build since it seems kind of weak.
Love-Wilcox 1 month ago#4
Pure physical is probably best as most Ringed City enemies are resistant to elemental damage.

FYI heavy armor makes a big difference in PvE as it’s often the difference between getting outright 1-shot or not.
Its OK to be Way of White
PSN: LoveWilcox NNID: dgwhiley
neccis 1 month ago#5
Rosaria's infinite respec glitch is definitely the best build for ringed city.

Useful things also include dark and fire reduction items, pestilent mist, and hidden body.

PSN: SlCCEN
splits open to reveal jam
Adam_Ocelot 1 month ago#6
KINGR1P posted...
I never made a bleed build since it seems kind of weak.

I wouldn’t go that way either, more just a DEX heavy for the DPS of the twinblades, w/ the natural bleed as a occasional bonus.
If only eye
could see
(edited 1 month ago)
Pure physical is probably best as most Ringed City enemies are resistant to elemental damage.

Yes, I remember many people complaining at how mage builds did poorly in the DLC. I'd recommend a Straight Sword with maybe a bow to switch to for ranged antics. Pestilent Mist is a nice option if someone wants to be cheap with the bosses and every build should have the Storyteller's Staff...
KINGR1P 1 month ago#8
Hotel_Security posted...

Yes, I remember many people complaining at how mage builds did poorly in the DLC. I'd recommend a Straight Sword with maybe a bow to switch to for ranged antics. Pestilent Mist is a nice option if someone wants to be cheap with the bosses and every build should have the Storyteller's Staff...

I have never ever used a bow in any of my builds across Soulsborne. I don't even know what class to choose nor how to distribute the stats for them honestly.
KINGR1P 1 month ago#9
Decided to make a bow build. I started off as a Thief but I have the Longbow now. Found a Crossbow but the stats said it was weaker so I'm not using it.

Anything I should look out for to make the build more efficient? I'm going Dex if that matters. Took me like 5 minutes to figure out how to use different arrows lol
Roninzeta 1 month ago#10
Long term, you’ll want two bows for different purposes. Black Bow of Pharis for long range combat. It also has a 3 shot rapid fire WA, if you don’t mind the FP cost, for the occasional close range attack. The other bow to get is the Composite Bow. It’s fast and shorter range, and it can fire off very quick from a roll. Probably necessary for many of the boss fights in the game, for how quick and in your face many of them are.

Not many rings stand out for a bow build. Cloranthy to keep the stamina up. Hawk Ring for more distance. Leo Ring works with arrows, but at long range, counter damage comes up less often.

I’m not familiar with Greatbows, so I have no advice for that.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Best build for the Ringed City DLC?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A