• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. So, locking on to Aldrich is broken
Roninzeta 2 months ago#1
I’ve noticed that the camera, and the lock on, kinda suck in this game. The distance is surprisingly short, so I’m not looking forward to my sorcerer run. It will frequently refuse to work when you press the button, and won’t pick another target after you kill one enemy. And if an enemy is fast enough, the lock on just quits trying (thank god for Sulyvann’s long recovery time after a lunge). Probably a third of my deaths have been to the lock on failing to work properly.

But nowhere have I seen it as bad as Aldrich. He doesn’t even need to move fast, the lock on just gives up as soon as he moves a little. When he rises up to do a slash, Nope, sorry, the camera can’t handle that. You’re looking away from him now. When he pops out of the ground, I can keep mashing the button, and he’s through his second or third attack before the game realizes what I want. When you’re up close, he’s a wiggly SOB, so it’d be nice if I could keep him in view, but the damn lock on will not stay on him!

I don’t want to use summons on my first playthrough, but this is ridiculous. I can’t react to his attacks if I can’t keep him in view!
chaot1c 2 months ago#2
Hmm, that fight doesn’t really need lock on since he moves very slowly and it’s kinda easier to maneuver around him with out lock on anyway.

That said, I’ve never had any problems with the lock on when using ranged things.
Roninzeta 1 month ago#3
I finally beat him by doing the opposite of what guides say. It’s suggested you attack his butt, however, trying to strafe behind him seems to make the lock on disengage a lot. So I tried the strategy I used for Sinh in DS2. Stay in the danger zone, right in front of him. Bait his big stupid swings, roll, and punish. Not as safe, but at least the camera didn’t try to rebel against me.
phrett 1 month ago#4
When you play this game long enough (or any souls game), you almost never use lock-on... exceptions being some spells and bows of course, but never melee. Lock on is far too unreliable, and it absolutely f***S camera angle.
People suck, mostly.
(edited 1 month ago)
Roninzeta 1 month ago#5
It’s just a shame, since locking on worked fine in DS1, and even better in DS2. It genuinely feels like they nerfed the camera in DS3.
JTKirkhammer 1 month ago#6
DS1&2 are older, much slower pace games. Even so, I've had some lock-on issues in those as well as most games of this nature.

For example, I would lock on to a dog in Lost Bastille with my rapier which pokes fast but refuses to track or adjust to the next target accordingly and poke nothing but air 120 degrees from a stationary locked target.
I finally beat him by doing the opposite of what guides say. It’s suggested you attack his butt, however, trying to strafe behind him seems to make the lock on disengage a lot. So I tried the strategy I used for Sinh in DS2. Stay in the danger zone, right in front of him.

I can't think of a worse idea than staying in front since he can't hit you with the majority of his slow melee swings from behind and you have more time to react and dodge when he does. I've been able to beat the crap out of the guy from behind since he's so slow at times.

I still have no idea how people have trouble with this guy when he has basically one actually dangerous attack and it doesn't even show up until the second half. Low HP and low defense, especially for that late in the game.

When you play this game long enough (or any souls game), you almost never use lock-on...

Nonsense. I've played every one and use it all the time. Sure, there's a few encounters when it's best left off but not for a vast majority of it.

It’s just a shame, since locking on worked fine in DS1, and even better in DS2.

I've felt it's the exact same throughout the series. Same benefits and same issues. Go ahead and name me a game with lock-on that doesn't have a few camera issues. They don't exist.
(edited 1 month ago)
Roninzeta 1 month ago#8
And yet, I found it the easiest to stay in front of him. Because if you stay close, he prioritizes those big swings over magic (though you still have to watch out for his arrow rain). And when he’s done with those very easy to dodge lazy melee swings, he lays Gwyndolyn’s head on the ground in front of you. His weak spot.

Another thing to always remember, everyone has a different worst boss. We all play differently, we all have mechanics that don’t click as well as they do for others. Some people breeze through one boss and struggle with another, while the next person has the opposite experience.
Because if you stay close, he prioritizes those big swings over magic

That's a good point. And he's still pretty easy to dodge from the front since those swings are so slow. Whatever works for you.

Another thing to always remember, everyone has a different worst boss

Very true. Depends on your build as well. Every build has a few bosses that expose the weaknesses of whatever style you play.
Boliver77 1 week ago#10
I'm playing a somewhat pure sorcery run now and just beat Aldrich. I basically had to go in melee for his fight. He seems easiest when you get up in his business until he does his 2nd phase arrow drop that goes on forever. Took more tries then I would have liked but I eventually got him. Back when I first played I did a pure melee build and felt like I had a much easier time with bosses.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. So, locking on to Aldrich is broken
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A