• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Which do you think is better: Black Knight Shield, or Ethereal Oak Shield?

User Info: Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857
3 days ago#1
Generally I always swore by Ethereal Oak Shield because it was the only possible shield to boast both 100% physical damage reduction and HP regen. But lately its stability has been an issue for me, as most weapons seem able to break its guard in just two swings, three at the most.

Black Knight Shield, though heavier, doesn't have this issue, and fares much better against Fire and a little better against Dark (weaker against Lightning but that element isn't very common in PvP or PvE), but it loses the HP regen. Now usually I stack Ethereal Oak with the Sun Princess Ring to double up on the regen, 4HP/Sec, which I can boost to 8 with Sacred Chime of Filianore's WA. If I'm not using the Ethereal Oak shield, then I typically see no reason to use Sun Princess as the regen by itself is too slow to be worthwhile in most situations.

So if I go Black Knight Shield, I tend to exchange Sun Princess for Havels Ring, which not only covers the additional weight but also allows heavier armor for better absorption (I go from about 20% all physical and 18% elemental to about 28% Physical/Slash and 25% Thrust, 21% elemental, and from 24 Poise to about 32 Poise). I still use SCoF for cheap healing to conserve Estus, and a Simple Iron Round Shield (along with 3 Ashen Estus) to fuel FP usage (Blessed Weapon buff and frugal use of Weapon Arts), as well as allow the option for parrying.

Chloranthy Ring +3 is a staple of the build regardless of the configuration (I tend to have some stamina management problems without this ring), and I can swap between the two loadouts and experiment as time goes on, but overall, which setup do you think works better on a 120 Quality build, Black Knight Shield and Havels Ring for better armor/stability, or Ethereal Oak and Sun Princess for natural regen?
And you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives...
...until old age take you back to the weeds.
(edited 3 days ago)

User Info: SSaiyaman

SSaiyaman
3 days ago#2
If it's PvP I'd say the BKS just for the extra stability and overall absorption, hands down. I don't think the regen of the Millwood's shield to be helpful in PvP. That's slow af regen.

Even in PvE, any HP you lose you can just stop for a bit to equip the Sun Princess Ring and then mash X button on equipping/de-equipping the Ethereal Oak Shield. Each time you do, it immediately regens your HP, so doing that is faster than just having it equipped.
Life Is Strange has taught me that, inside each of us is a hella nosy teenage girl.
PSN: ShinkuNoYami | YouTube: Shinku no Yami

User Info: DarthInvader

DarthInvader
3 days ago#3
A Blessed or Simple Caestus is my favorite shield.

On a serious note, and to sound 110% cliche, i'd prob go for the one that fits your playstyle the most.

HP regen is cool and all but, if you're getting raped, its prob not gonna do much for ya. If u get time to breathe however, it can do ya some good.

Absorption and Poise are pretty much always good, for obvious reasons.

User Info: Lord_Zenki

Lord_Zenki
3 days ago#4
I like to run around two handing a Spiked Mace with the Grass Crest shield on my back. If I take damage in PVE, I swap Estus Ring for Sun Princess Ring and swap the shield for a Blessed Caestus and just wait for regen to happen.
I go really slow through areas because I like to explore every nook and cranny, so the slow regen is pretty helpful for conserving Estus. Also I started as a warrior and don't have enough Faith to use any Chimes, so there's that.
FC: 0748-7304-9172
Pokemon Ultra Moon IGN: Zenki

User Info: Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857
3 days ago#5
Alright, that's what I was figuring: Go with BKS and more absorption/stability, swap to regen if needed/low on Estus.
And you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives...
...until old age take you back to the weeds.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Which do you think is better: Black Knight Shield, or Ethereal Oak Shield?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A