You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Why is the player base so petty/salty/toxic?

User Info: Juxtapose

Juxtapose
1 month ago#31
Any type of competition leads to people being petty as f*** because normies hate to lose (and almost never learn from their losses) and whenever they win they will vent their frustrations out on you. Add the fact that people online have absolutely no accountability, and the problem just gets exacerbated.

You really just have to numb yourself to it. Frankly, the most effective way to not care is to be so toxic yourself, that you can't even blame people when they are toxic to you back.

I'm respectful in fighting games because the players tend to be more mature since the game requires actual skill, but Dark Souls 3? I'm a toxic piece of s*** because I know 99% of the randoms are absolutely toxic NO MATTER WHAT. They're the type of players who can only make it in a game with tacted on PvP.

Try Soulcalibur 6. It rewards you for actual skill and the playerbase is more mature.
No victim no crime.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Revan194

Revan194
1 month ago#32
Its funny because I dont see it as toxic when they do it to me. I rarely do stuff like that but once in a while enjoy being a nuisance, like chucking poop into a duel between 2 other people. All in good fun until a message comes along, then whatever angry message they leave does the opposite effect and make trolls more trolley, just in spite of hate mail. I still love this aspect of the community lol.
Friend code: SW-4737-9449-4968
PAWN ID: 2DI4-22A7-FE5I
Juxtapose posted...

You really just have to numb yourself to it. Frankly, the most effective way to not care is to be so toxic yourself, that you can't even blame people when they are toxic to you back.

While I don't disagree with the first bit, I would argue that the latter varies from person to person. I don't give a s*** simply because I don't give a s***. It's not worth my time or effort to get myself all worked up because someone decided to make themselves look like an ass. I just roll my eyes, smh...maybe even give out a little chuckle...and move on with my life. You (generally speaking) are not worth me getting pissed off.

Well....that and I'm already pretty self-deprecating and probably talk more smack about myself than most people ever could. So there's that.
Insanity is a dish best served with fried rice and jello.
Youtube: ZanjitaShin. PSN: zanjita
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Moeperry

Moeperry
1 month ago#34
Every online game I've ever played has been toxic and petty. Souls community is actually pretty good in comparison to fgs and cod

Had a guy scream at me for an entire match because I picked baraka (one of two characters I only play) in mk11

Right after that another guy got mad that I was converting my combos optimally. s***ty whiners are everywhere.
Barakabama 2020

User Info: neccis

neccis
1 month ago#35
Moeperry posted...
Every online game I've ever played has been toxic and petty. Souls community is actually pretty good in comparison to fgs and cod

Had a guy scream at me for an entire match because I picked baraka (one of two characters I only play) in mk11

Right after that another guy got mad that I was converting my combos optimally. s***ty whiners are everywhere.

Love me some Baraka. I bet you shoved those tarkatan blades straight up his ass over and over and over.... and over!
PSN: siccen_
splits open to reveal jam

User Info: SolidKnight

SolidKnight
1 month ago#36
Because people think they're being a huge dick even though people on the other side are more likely just rolling their eyes at it all.

User Info: TheOriginalMax

TheOriginalMax
4 weeks ago#37
Juxtapose posted...
Any type of competition leads to people being petty as f*** because normies hate to lose (and almost never learn from their losses) and whenever they win they will vent their frustrations out on you. Add the fact that people online have absolutely no accountability, and the problem just gets exacerbated.

Well put. Come to think of it, competitive scenes are exactly as you said a lot of the time. I really agree that there's an accountability issue as well. Dark Souls gives surprising amount of freedom for expression as well, so I guess what you said plus that makes it so noticeable and would also explain why the Dark Souls community seems to get called out on it so much.

Thanks for the suggestion! I really enjoyed SC back in the day. I've been looking for a chance to get SC6, so maybe I should finally look into it.

ImmortalDragonX posted...
It's not worth my time or effort to get myself all worked up because someone decided to make themselves look like an ass. I just roll my eyes, smh...maybe even give out a little chuckle...and move on with my life. You (generally speaking) are not worth me getting pissed off.

That's some solid advice. It's still a bit odd for me why it's so prevalent here, enough to warrant YT videos of it and polls on GFAQs/articles on gaming sites. But I think you guys are really helping me understand it a bit better, little by little.

Moeperry posted...

That's a really good point. I don't really partake in any of the games you listed, but stuff like MHW has been really good aside from the occasional troll or two (although the forum community is a different thing), so I guess I've been spared from the other, more toxic communities. But I do remember GTA Online being dick-infested. Anyway, it sucks getting yelled at over a game that you're playing correctly nonetheless.

SolidKnight posted...
Because people think they're being a huge dick even though people on the other side are more likely just rolling their eyes at it all.

I used to do that, but I half expected people to grow out of that phase, only to see it still holding strong as I came back. Back in my active days I was rolling my eyes so much I got dizzy. Who wants to feel dizzy after a game, right? But I guess I must have gotten back enough tolerance over time that I could just jump back into it and see how it feels. I have been hankering for some DkS action and trying out new builds, after all.
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.

User Info: GeminiX7

GeminiX7
4 weeks ago#38
Its because GameFAQs is a cesspool.
MSI Z97| Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8GB Cosair Vengence @ 1600 |Radeon R9 390 8GB
Who gave you permission to talk to me, mongrel?

User Info: TorvaMessorem

TorvaMessorem
4 weeks ago#39
The only PvP I liked was in Ds2 and I thought the community was rather cool at that time. Got lots of messages from people saying it was a good fight. But overall the game was fairly balanced in terms of PvP. There weren't a whole lot of cheap ways to win. Which I believe led to better sportsmanship.

Ds1 was a trainwreck, and to this day I don't understand how anyone can defend it. Getting backstabbed for 90% of my HP while my opponent was standing 10 feet in front of me tells me there's a problem.

And Miyazaki has shown to never learn from mistakes so there he went and put another Hornet Ring in Ds3, and parry spamming reared its ugly head again. Really disliked those fights where you were afraid to attack because 1 lucky parry meant 80% of your HP out the window. And when they win like that they usually start pointing down and all that BS, as if they won by skill. They know they didn't earn the win, so they try to convince themselves they did with that behavior.
May the lord of light be with us, for the screen is dark and the script is full of errors.

User Info: KDTProjekt

KDTProjekt
4 weeks ago#40
TorvaMessorem posted...
And Miyazaki has shown to never learn from mistakes so there he went and put another Hornet Ring in Ds3,

The passive hornet ring that didn't require a slot in dks2 was more egregious ;) It added 106% damage instead of 30%
"Gamefaqs is just a random rants generator" - Westcurry
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Why is the player base so petty/salty/toxic?