You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Why is the player base so petty/salty/toxic?

User Info: TheOriginalMax

TheOriginalMax
1 month ago#1
I came to browse the board after a very long hiatus only to find a thread about people still slinging poop and apparently pointing down after a fight.

I haven't played for a really long time, but when I did, this type of "angry" or "petty" stuff would happen all the time. Seems like it still does.

I just keep wondering why are you people like that? Is it a competitive thing?
I would understand if it's someone using some really obnoxious "tactics" (like a host summoning a friendly red/gank squads or whatever), but when it's just another player fighting you normally, why get your panties in a bunch? If they're hard to kill/skillful, shouldn't you enjoy the challenge and testing your skills instead of throwing a tantrum when you "finally beat them"? Again, I get if there are obnoxious players using really s***ty tactics/running away constantly/chugging Estus in an "honor" duel/abusing lag, etc. But being salty and just s***ty to others seems to be the default a lot of the time.

Actually, the main reason why I took such a step back from DkS3 wasn't because of the game becoming boring. Rather the community just being so disagreeable that I didn't want to partake in PvP anymore... Which I did partake in all the time during DeS's hayday. But DkS1 is where the community just started kinda... Sucking. DkS3's community is a complete nightmare compared to even DkS1's, which was a HUUUUGE change from DeS.

It just sucks because this same crowd seems to permeate into everything FromSoft does. And I'm sure there are a bunch of nice people out there, just that when people colloquially talk about Souls fans it's... Well... The emphasis kinda shines.

So I'm basically just asking to figure out why people are like that. Sure, I have my own judgment of this, clearly, and sure, I'm probably super biased and all that. But maybe some people could shed some light on basically what's up the Souls community's collective asses when they play these games, to put it bluntly?

Thanks for the.... Very interesting conversations we're going to have here in advance lol
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: MagickArrow

MagickArrow
1 month ago#2
Yeah, I don’t get it either.

I feel like I should say, there are a lot of polite players too. And usually people drop the toxicity and become much nicer once you show them a little respect:)

I’ve got a lot of hate mail over the years, and a lot of times I don’t respond. When I do respond I do it in a respectful or kind way. Almost every time they turn from completely and ridiculously hateful to pretty nice:D
Don't go and die over nothing

User Info: Juxtapose

Juxtapose
1 month ago#3
Being toxic is half the fun lol.
No victim no crime.

MagickArrow
1 month ago#4
Juxtapose posted...

You can be a nice guy too though, don’t try and hide it

User Info: Juxtapose

Juxtapose
1 month ago#5
MagickArrow posted...
Juxtapose posted...

You can be a nice guy too though, don’t try and hide it

https://i.imgtc.ws/bx6Xpnm.png

(j/k xD)
No victim no crime.

User Info: Artemis86

Artemis86
4 weeks ago#6
I tend not to do that. I usually just bow or do a happy dance if I win. The truly salty just gey angrier at that than they would a point down. Most are just doing the meme thing, tho, playing a role, so to speak. It can also make people play worse if you can geature annoyingly without getting punished sometimes.

I had a host point down at me and his phantom bow. Then the host awkwardly bowed too. Its like an odd social etiquette.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

MagickArrow
4 weeks ago#7
It’s funny, cause most the people who do the whole throw poop point down stuff are also the guys that wait patiently and politely in line to duel other players in no heal battles.

User Info: TheOriginalMax

TheOriginalMax
4 weeks ago#8
Interesting information here. I understand that my OP must come off very one-sided and doesn't really acknowledge nearly enough that there are indeed a lot of polite players, too. I apologize for that.'

So basically, if I understand correctly, it's kind of a "shared culture/etiquette" (as one poster said) among the DkS fan base? Still, I can't really fathom a situation where the isn't ill will with that toxic behavior.

Good to hear the other side of the story too, though.
To be fair, no one has unlimited patience, and at times this board could come close flustering the Buddha.-geekneck99
Freedom requires responsibility.

User Info: -Frog-

-Frog-
4 weeks ago#9
The fact that anyone is still bothered by a gesture just shows how sensitive some of you are. It's been like 4 years.. Does it even bother you? If someone doesn't point me down after killing me I start to wonder if that individual is having a stroke back at home.

It's part of the game and the culture of dark souls, especially after invasions.

Basically, get over it, you'll live longer.
~ Before death claims a man, he is made to bear witness a second time to those memories engraved most deeply upon his heart. ~
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: neccis

neccis
4 weeks ago#10
What about unequipping and then re-equipping your crown really fast over and over in front of the dead persons body while your friend parry spams, you know.... for hilarious effect? Sort of like end credits.
PSN: siccen_
splits open to reveal jam
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Why is the player base so petty/salty/toxic?