You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. I just tried the whip, looks like whips are worth using this time around

User Info: completeboy

completeboy
1 month ago#1
literally kills groups of enemies in 3/4 R1 usage in cleansing chapel
Video games are a part of my life.

User Info: ImmortalDragonX

ImmortalDragonX
1 month ago#2
They're okay...but still kinda meh. I did make a Belmont character that specializes in using a whip though as a bit of a challenge run. Someone posted the idea on here some time ago and I ran with it. I should probably get back on that at some point.

Honestly the best thing they've got going for them is range. They're (quite) a bit on the slow side and damage generally isn't all that good. Not bad, but not good, either. Just kinda mediocre. There's another whip inside the cleansing chapel, the notched whip. Does less damage but had bleed property. Its a pain to proc though since attack speed is slow.

Best one is probably the witch's locks, found in the Grand Archives, however, it works best on a pyromancy or similar build as it scales mostly from intelligence and faith. Has natural (split) fire damage and actually deals a decent amount of hurt.

Two things I'll give the whip is the weapon art is pretty good (especially on the Locks) and the 1handed R2. There is little else in the game that cuts as wide a swath as that 1h R2 can and it's really good for crowds. It also works pretty well at smacking things through walls or past corners.
Insanity is a dish best served with fried rice and jello.
Youtube: ZanjitaShin. PSN: zanjita
(edited 1 month ago)

completeboy
1 month ago#3
ImmortalDragonX posted...
They're okay...but still kinda meh. I did make a Belmont character that specializes in using a whip though as a bit of a challenge run. Someone posted the idea on here some time ago and I ran with it. I should probably get back on that at some point.

Honestly the best thing they've got going for them is range. They're (quite) a bit on the slow side and damage generally isn't all that good. Not bad, but not good, either. Just kinda mediocre. There's another whip inside the cleansing chapel, the notched whip. Does less damage but had bleed property. Its a pain to proc though since attack speed is slow.

Best one is probably the witch's locks, found in the Grand Archives, however, it works best on a pyromancy or similar build as it scales mostly from intelligence and faith. Has natural (split) fire damage and actually deals a decent amount of hurt.

Two things I'll give the whip is the weapon art is pretty good (especially on the Locks) and the 1handed R2. There is little else in the game that cuts as wide a swath as that 1h R2 can and it's really good for crowds. It also works pretty well at smacking things through walls or past corners.

ok so it is good for crowd control in general

i want to experiment many weapons but i think 3 weapons per character should be the focus, i tried experiment with herald class and finished everything in first try except uchikatana guy but in my original and current first character, the katana guy was defeated on first try

i had to calculate distance and note his attack patterns with herald class as the starting weapon was a spear

gameplay changes a lot depending on weapon equipped

User Info: ImmortalDragonX

ImmortalDragonX
1 month ago#4
completeboy posted...

i want to experiment many weapons but i think 3 weapons per character should be the focus, i tried experiment with herald class and finished everything in first try except uchikatana guy but in my original and current first character, the katana guy was defeated on first try

i had to calculate distance and note his attack patterns with herald class as the starting weapon was a spear

It really does, tbh. I like messing around with a variety of different weapons, although ther are weapon types that I'm not particularly fond of in general. The Ultra/Great weapons, for example (with a few exceptions). I've never been a huge fan of the big, heavy, slow, but hard hitting weapon/character types. Its just not my thing.

In particular, I tend to gravitate towards the more unique weapons in the game. Weapons like the Crescent Moon Sword and Follower's Javelin, which while not the strongest weapons in the game, are unique within their respective weapon types (curved sword and spear, respectively) in that they have a projectile attack weapon arts. The Moonlight Greatsword also somewhat fits into this, but instead of the projectile coming from a weapon art (and thusly using up FP), it comes from a fully charged R2 attack.

There area a number of different weapons, and character types/classes, I could get into, but I digress as I don't wish to start babbling.
Insanity is a dish best served with fried rice and jello.
Youtube: ZanjitaShin. PSN: zanjita

completeboy
1 month ago#5
completeboy posted...

It really does, tbh. I like messing around with a variety of different weapons, although ther are weapon types that I'm not particularly fond of in general. The Ultra/Great weapons, for example (with a few exceptions). I've never been a huge fan of the big, heavy, slow, but hard hitting weapon/character types. Its just not my thing.

In particular, I tend to gravitate towards the more unique weapons in the game. Weapons like the Crescent Moon Sword and Follower's Javelin, which while not the strongest weapons in the game, are unique within their respective weapon types (curved sword and spear, respectively) in that they have a projectile attack weapon arts. The Moonlight Greatsword also somewhat fits into this, but instead of the projectile coming from a weapon art (and thusly using up FP), it comes from a fully charged R2 attack.

There area a number of different weapons, and character types/classes, I could get into, but I digress as I don't wish to start babbling.

i do not like heavy weapons either especially curved ones nor do i like heavy armors

but can be handy if you master two handed weapons

i do not mind slow attacks as long as it gets the job done

i will make a class based on two handed weapons and no shield once i finish the game, never tried it
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. I just tried the whip, looks like whips are worth using this time around