• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. For weapon upgrade path, fusion vs other upgrades, base damage or rank priority?

User Info: completeboy

completeboy
2 months ago#1
for e.g. i have interest in upgrading rapier, i checked online and it seems refined rapier upgrade would mean good damage and also decent C rank in both attributes

so one should look for raw damage potential for melee class or also consider attribute rank?
Video games are a part of my life.

User Info: ShadowGirlxox

ShadowGirlxox
2 months ago#2
It really depends on your stats and the type of weapon. For example something that is already high scaling for dex generally gets better overall damage if you use sharp infusion, unless you have almost no dex stats on your character. There are a few exception but in general you try to keep the infusion to match the type of weapon.

When you are in the menu to select infusion you can see the new values of base damage + scaling so just pick the highest one.
youtube.com/c/ShadowGirlGroove

completeboy
2 months ago#3
ShadowGirlxox posted...
It really depends on your stats and the type of weapon. For example something that is already high scaling for dex generally gets better overall damage if you use sharp infusion, unless you have almost no dex stats on your character. There are a few exception but in general you try to keep the infusion to match the type of weapon.

When you are in the menu to select infusion you can see the new values of base damage + scaling so just pick the highest one.

i see, i know some weapon makes sense in upgrading in respective path like a katana would cause bleeding in sharp path

i never bothered upgrading weapons carefully in souls games as i was ok with some +5 weapon in demons souls and it was enough to let me finish the game on my own

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
2 months ago#4
It’s stat dependant. Raw infusions are typically used early game when you only have the minimum requirements for your weapon and you’re levelling vigor. Heavy infusions favour strength builds, sharp favours dex builds, and sharp/refined favour quality builds (sometimes sharp will outdamage refined). So long as you’re at least hitting the softcap of 40 for whatever damage stat(s) you’re levelling, there’s no reason not to infuse your weapon. The elemental infusions are fairly straightforward. Note that dark and chaos are interchangeable in terms of scaling and damage. The only difference is in an enemy’s resistance to either element. This is of course for the PvE only.

completeboy
2 months ago#5
INCompl posted...
It’s stat dependant. Raw infusions are typically used early game when you only have the minimum requirements for your weapon and you’re levelling vigor. Heavy infusions favour strength builds, sharp favours dex builds, and sharp/refined favour quality builds (sometimes sharp will outdamage refined). So long as you’re at least hitting the softcap of 40 for whatever damage stat(s) you’re levelling, there’s no reason not to infuse your weapon. The elemental infusions are fairly straightforward. Note that dark and chaos are interchangeable in terms of scaling and damage. The only difference is in an enemy’s resistance to either element. This is of course for the PvE only.

i see so you can use regular upgrade path to 10 or 9 and can change to infusion path later? or that does not work?

i was favoring both strength and dex build in dark souls 2 equally like 30/30 etc. and plan to do the same here

not interested in magic based bonuses as i tried magic class in dark souls 2 and it was not my cup of tea although much fun for hit and strategy

not sure how spell attacks work here

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
2 months ago#6
completeboy posted...
INCompl posted...

i see so you can use regular upgrade path to 10 or 9 and can change to infusion path later? or that does not work?

i was favoring both strength and dex build in dark souls 2 equally like 30/30 etc. and plan to do the same here

not interested in magic based bonuses as i tried magic class in dark souls 2 and it was not my cup of tea although much fun for hit and strategy

You can change your infusion whenever, same as in DS2. So if you infuse your weapon with raw in the early game while you’re levelling your survivability stats so you don’t get one shot later, you can go to Andre at Firelink and reinfuse that weapon to whatever you want provided you have the appropriate gem and the coal that allows access to that infusion. You don’t have to keep a weapon uninfused until it’s maxed and you don’t need to use a shriving stone undo one infusion so you can do a different one. Striving stones just revert your weapon to being unifnfused and aren’t required to change infusions. If I remember correctly the refined infusion is unlocked from the start. There’s a refined gem at the high wall of lothric that you can pick up if you haven’t already.

As for magic, it generally sucks. Faith builds don’t get any decent damaging miracles until the very end of the game (the soul of the final boss) or until the final DLC. Sorcery is in the same boat in that it’s hard hitting spells aren’t unlocked until the end of the game. The strongest dark sorcery is in the DLC and the only other good spammy dark sorcery is a covenant reward that you’d have to farm for and isn’t available until the mid game. The only caster class that’s good is pyromancy since they get their strongest spell shortly after killing the first lord of cinder and can then proceed to nuke every other enemy and boss in the game with a spell that comes out way too fast for how much damage it does. Pyromancy is very stat demanding though so you don’t tend to have many melee options and your character would be a bit squishy.

completeboy
2 months ago#7
INCompl posted...
completeboy posted...
INCompl posted...

You can change your infusion whenever, same as in DS2. So if you infuse your weapon with raw in the early game while you’re levelling your survivability stats so you don’t get one shot later, you can go to Andre at Firelink and reinfuse that weapon to whatever you want provided you have the appropriate gem and the coal that allows access to that infusion. You don’t have to keep a weapon uninfused until it’s maxed and you don’t need to use a shriving stone undo one infusion so you can do a different one. Striving stones just revert your weapon to being unifnfused and aren’t required to change infusions. If I remember correctly the refined infusion is unlocked from the start. There’s a refined gem at the high wall of lothric that you can pick up if you haven’t already.

As for magic, it generally sucks. Faith builds don’t get any decent damaging miracles until the very end of the game (the soul of the final boss) or until the final DLC. Sorcery is in the same boat in that it’s hard hitting spells aren’t unlocked until the end of the game. The strongest dark sorcery is in the DLC and the only other good spammy dark sorcery is a covenant reward that you’d have to farm for and isn’t available until the mid game. The only caster class that’s good is pyromancy since they get their strongest spell shortly after killing the first lord of cinder and can then proceed to nuke every other enemy and boss in the game with a spell that comes out way too fast for how much damage it does. Pyromancy is very stat demanding though so you don’t tend to have many melee options and your character would be a bit squishy.

interesting to note

completeboy
2 months ago#8
so what if you did +5 normal upgrade and then went to fusion path?

weapon gets added bonus of previous upgrade? and for multiplayer does the total weapon level count as +5 to whatever new path is?

User Info: Adam_Ocelot

Adam_Ocelot
2 months ago#9
completeboy posted...

weapon gets added bonus of previous upgrade? and for multiplayer does the total weapon level count as +5 to whatever new path is?

It’s much more streamlined than Dark 1, you can infuse any (infusable) Weapon at any level, with any infusion type you have available. (And Andre will need the appropriate ‘key’ item to unlock the ability)

Gone are the upgrade trees, no more ‘only +10 normal weapons can be made blessed’... want to make your dagger refined, all you need is a dagger (at any level) and the infusion gem.

Also, if a weapon is at +6 when you infuse it, it will still be a +6 Weapon, just with the new scaling/damage.
she likes that I eat so much pineapple

completeboy
2 months ago#10
Adam_Ocelot posted...
completeboy posted...

It’s much more streamlined than Dark 1, you can infuse any (infusable) Weapon at any level, with any infusion type you have available. (And Andre will need the appropriate ‘key’ item to unlock the ability)

Gone are the upgrade trees, no more ‘only +10 normal weapons can be made blessed’... want to make your dagger refined, all you need is a dagger (at any level) and the infusion gem.

Also, if a weapon is at +6 when you infuse it, it will still be a +6 Weapon, just with the new scaling/damage.

i see, thanks for the info

it is really unnecessarily complicated, if they had traditional weapon upgrades it would have been better
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. For weapon upgrade path, fusion vs other upgrades, base damage or rank priority?
  • Topic Archived