• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Weapon match ups

User Info: MagickArrow

MagickArrow
2 months ago#1
I usually base my builds around a particular weapon or weapon class.

I do notice that some weapon classes match up better against others.

For instance I do much better with halberds vs mage builds, greatswords vs curved swords and ugs vs curved greatswords, etc...

So what weapon class do you use against the following classes?

Daggers

Straight swords

Curved swords

Greatswords

Halberds

Scythes

Ugs

Curved greatsword

Great axe

Greathammer

Hammers

Also, if you have any favored match ups that aren’t mentioned please elaborate
Don't go and die over nothing

User Info: JessCalabr

JessCalabr
2 months ago#2
Daggers- Using Rope Black Firebombs is pretty effective vs quicksteppers, curved sword and ss spam may be a deterrent if you can't figure out the timing

Straight swords- GSs with good timing can work, other SSs, just about anything

Curved swords- Estoc may be a good option, as well as a Corvian Greatknife

Greatswords- Black Knight Shield +SS vs any physical one, otherwise just having a faster weapon vs these guys is generally your best option going up against an average player

Halberds- myeh don't fight too many of these, I would consider them slow, GSs and up you could poise against them with relative ease

Scythes- In kind of a weird spot where they aren't slow or super fast, faster weapons are good against them, GS can do the job especially vs Freide's if people just want to spam the weapon art

Ugs- SS or Curved Sword really, anything relatively fast will work if you get the timing to punish them, GSs aren't really fast enough to accomplish that, special note to Frayed Blade and Onikiri+Ubadachi for being able to reliably get a nice weapon art off vs a RKPugs L1 whiff

Curved greatsword- relatively scary, maybe can get away with GS if they one hand otherwise just a fast weapon to punish or harass
PSN- JesterCals ;
Youtube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj8sDiteEVofR_6iQokrQYA

User Info: ShadowGirlxox

ShadowGirlxox
2 months ago#3
I don't bother with weapon matchups, just use whatever I want. If the game is balanced properly you should be able to ignore weapon matchups, like in Dks2.
youtube.com/c/ShadowGirlGroove

User Info: HeyItsTig

HeyItsTig
2 months ago#4
You can use whatever setup you want; you just need to outplay your opponent. That being said, certain matchups are clearly unfavorable, and tailoring your weapon really depends on the context of how your opponent is playing.

Focus less on hardcountering your opponent, and more on outplaying him.
"Just a bunch of #@$%ty parry kings" - Prime

User Info: MagickArrow

MagickArrow
2 months ago#5
Yes yes of course.

Like I said in the op I make builds around certain weapons, I’m not one to switch weapons to get a favorable matchup. However there is definitely more drastic match ups in ds3 than any the previous title imo.

I’m not so much looking for pvp advice, just curious as to what you have all noticed when it comes to match ups.

Ds2.... what a tragic loss....
Don't go and die over nothing

User Info: KDTProjekt

KDTProjekt
2 months ago#6
Daggers: straight sword
Straight Sword: straight sword
Curved Sword: another curved sword or straight sword
All the rest: Straight sword, although some of the slower classes will also allow Estoc/Rapier type weapons, but why bother when Straight sword?

Even given my suggestions, which are likely optimal and meta as f***, vs other straight sword and curved sword users I have OK luck if I run a Greatsword with a respectable amount of poise. DkS3 PvP largely revolves around basic b**** spacing, and exploiting boredom through reactive play. No wait....thats every Souls game. While it won't work against the top-tier patient-as-f*** passive reactive regenen f***bois.....if you combine a Greatsword + Poise + Ennui you can typically beat anyone.
"Gamefaqs is just a random rants generator" - Westcurry

HeyItsTig
2 months ago#7
One thing I'd add is that against certain weapons/playstyles, you'll be forced to switch weapons if you don't want to lose. For instance if you're on a physical build and someone has a black knight shield, you won't want to use a spear.

There's nothing dishonorable about switching weapons to suit your needs in a game where weapon matchups matter to a very large extent.

Daggers- Witch the exception of murky/harpe, daggers can be fought with most fast/medium speed weapons. Against quickstep I wouldn't use greathammers for instance. Against a good murky/harpe player you will need to use tools such as perseverance, rope firebombs, ebolts, straight sword, and curved sword.

Straight swords - Anything can be used really but I'd avoid using great hammers/axes. Against a really good ss user I'd avoid using ultra greatswords and spears.

Curved swords - If they're using pkcs, then god help you. Against a decent (yeah yeah) cs user there really isn't a counter, you just need to outplay them. Corvian greatknife is a decent choice; straight swords are also reasonable, especially if paired with xbow. Pikes (pike, lothric spear, greatlance) can also be used but they require considerable skill.

Greatswords - Ultra Great Swords are a reasonable matchup with pros and cons. You need to have a poise advantage when fighting GS with them. I actually think GS is better than UGS in a matchup. That being said, greatswords are countered by curved swords, spears, katanas. Pikes can beat GS if you know what you're doing.

Halberds - actually not hard to counter with most weapons actually. Greatswords completely shut them down. The spin-slash halberds are very easy to counter with a GS.

Scythes - Greatswords shut them down. Ultras are also good. Friede's scythe completely revolves around WA baiting, so things like stomp, perseverance can be used. Otherwise you just need to outplay it.

UGS - Hardcountered by curved swords and straight swords.

CGS- If mainhanded (or offhanded) you just need to outspace with a fast weapon such as SS or CS.

Greataxes - Any fast weapon will counter them. BKGA is hard countered by curved swords, black knight shield paired with any fast weapon or spear.

Greathammer - You can fight them with pretty much anything, but fast weapons counter them. Ledo's GH is the exception as it's really the only good GH. BKS counters Ledo's, otherwise you just need to outplay it.

Hammers - Greatswords are good against them; cs, ss counter them if you play right.

HeyItsTig
2 months ago#8
JessCalabr posted...

Curved greatsword- relatively scary, maybe can get away with GS if they one hand otherwise just a fast weapon to punish or harass

Using a GS against offhand CGS is a really bad idea unless you're packing an ass-load of poise.

User Info: ShadowGirlxox

ShadowGirlxox
2 months ago#9
HeyItsTig posted...
One thing I'd add is that against certain weapons/playstyles, you'll be forced to switch weapons if you don't want to lose. For instance if you're on a physical build and someone has a black knight shield, you won't want to use a spear.

Spear beats black knight shield easily if you play smart. They can't parry with the shield and you out range the SS they likely have in the other hand.

The sad thing about Dks3 pvp is poise and hyperarmor beat all weapon matchups. You can play as sloppy as you want and win by trading hits which is why Dks3 is the most mindless, boring pvp.
youtube.com/c/ShadowGirlGroove

HeyItsTig
2 months ago#10
ShadowGirlxox posted...
HeyItsTig posted...

Spear beats black knight shield easily if you play smart. They can't parry with the shield and you out range the SS they likely have in the other hand.

The sad thing about Dks3 pvp is poise and hyperarmor beat all weapon matchups. You can play as sloppy as you want and win by trading hits which is why Dks3 is the most mindless, boring pvp.

No.

BKS hard counters physical spears. All the SnB has to do is block pressure and force rolls. The spear user can go on a dark build and maybe use offhand SS, but still the SnB has the advantage.

Hyperarmor weapons generally require more skill to be successful vs good players. Good players simply won't trade with you. If I see you using a GS I won't just run up to you and press R1.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Weapon match ups
  • Topic Archived