• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. If Friede had been in Dark Souls 2 everyone would say it's a bad boss fight

User Info: UnLoco

UnLoco
1 month ago#1
The boss has so many issues right from the first phase. Friede has the typical infinite stamina / no cool down that everyone complained about from DK2 enemies. The invisibility trick only makes things worse.

The second phase is very incoherent and has no rhyme nor reason to it. Friede may or may not stick to Ariandel like glue, she may or may not stay away from him. It is basically an RNG when it comes to what she decides to do. Ariandel himself has horrible hit boxes and the fact that Friede starts to heal rather fast is pure nonsense considering there is a THIRD phase to the fight.

Now for the third phase talk about a redundant and completely forced way to amp the difficulty of this boss. The fight should have ended once Ariandel dies. There is NO justification for the third phase. But nah, now we have Lady Maria...I mean...Friede in hyper mode, abusing her invisibility trick, unlimited combos, frostbite spam and more health/defense than before.

All in all just a terrible boss fight that has you repeating the first two phases if you die on the third. Had this boss been in DK2 people would be rightfully calling it what it is: nonsense.

Sure the theme, song and the lore of the fight is interesting but the actual fight itself? Not really. From must have realized they messed up when they allow you to summon Gael without being embered.

User Info: BehemothBlade

BehemothBlade
1 month ago#2
Would she have garbage hitboxes as well?

User Info: Drago77

Drago77
1 month ago#3
I guess this is just the case of "eye of the beholder". Imo, Friede is one of the better boss fights in the series. There are multiple viable ways to beat her as well. You can parry & crit her, backstab fish, dodge and 2-hit stunlock, tank with the greatshield, etc.
www.youtube.com/ivandrago2k
PSN:Halle_Berry

User Info: DeadBankerDream

DeadBankerDream
1 month ago#4
UnLoco posted...
The boss has so many issues right from the first phase. Friede has the typical infinite stamina / no cool down that everyone complained about from DK2 enemies. The invisibility trick only makes things worse.

I don't see this. She doesn't seem to be able to do massive endless combos to me. And while I have my issues with her invisibility, I don't see how it links to her stamina usage. She has to take a massive break to charge up after going invisi.

UnLoco posted...
The second phase is very incoherent and has no rhyme nor reason to it. Friede may or may not stick to Ariandel like glue, she may or may not stay away from him. It is basically an RNG when it comes to what she decides to do.

This is also not within my experience with the fight. Yeah, sometimes they end up together. That's what happens when two AIs with different move pools are in the same arena, but by and large I have had no issue separating the two. I find it highly exaggerating to make it out to be a massive issue. At most I'd say you've been a bit unlucky.

UnLoco posted...
Ariandel himself has horrible hit boxes and the fact that Friede starts to heal rather fast is pure nonsense

Again, I have not experienced this. Ariandel has great hitboxes in my experience. I'd say maybe they're large and that could be your problem? But it's perfectly reasonable considering he is hitting you with a massive basin. You can dodge through it just as with any other attack. Friede's healing is also super fair considering it's not just her doing tick healing as soon as she starts the process, but one big healing pulse after a huge charge up. So if you're keeping vision of the fight and not just focusing the camera on Ariandel you should have enough time to reach her (seeing as the healing spell gives her location away despite her being invisible) and interrupt the heal, plus get some damage in on her in the process.

UnLoco posted...
Now for the third phase talk about a redundant and completely forced way to amp the difficulty of this boss. The fight should have ended once Ariandel dies. There is NO justification for the third phase. But nah, now we have Lady Maria...I mean...Friede in hyper mode, abusing her invisibility trick, unlimited combos, frostbite spam and more health/defense than before.

I agree mostly that the third phase is overkill, but I don't think its reasonable to say there's no justification. As for your specific issues, I again disagree. Her invisibility trick in phase 3 is way more reasonable than phase 1. I have issues with it in phase one, but after that it's fine. Her combos can be long, sure, but yeah I don't really mind. She doesn't seem to spam super long combos in my experience. Sulyvahn can be way worse at that than her. The frostbite spam is also reasonable as the frostbite attacks don't do damage and just build the meter and they're easy to dodge out of. The meter falls fast after you get out of the aoes. WIth the Chillbite Ring on I don't think I got the status to activate on me in the fight beyond the first few attempts.

I have issues with the Friede fight, particularly in relation to its length, but in general, I just disagree with these particular criticisms.

User Info: NStarshine

NStarshine
1 month ago#5
She definitely wouldn't fit into Dark Souls 2 and then she would indeed be a terrible boss, as that game plays a lot slower than Dark Souls 3. She along with many others, going from 1 & 2 to 3, are clearly more akin to Bloodborne than earlier Dark Souls bosses, with several attacks in quick succession and a lot of dodge spam before getting the openings. I'm not complaining, I love Bloodborne, but the shift from 1/2 in terms of the way combat works to 3 is super obvious after playing Bloodborne.

In terms of the invisibility trick in Phase 1, that's basically free damage, and I'm happy whenever she does it. You just gotta keep your eye on her, see where she moves after turning invisible and go hit her a few times to cancel out the big attack. If you fail to keep your eyes on her, only then do you have to actually get off a tricky dodge to evade the attack.

User Info: MagickArrow

MagickArrow
1 month ago#6
While friede is super hard I think it’s a good boss. One of my favorites even though it is so frustrating. I like her unpredictable behavior in phase 2, and how difficult it is to manipulate her ai. Phase three is just absurd, although because of her lack of poise it’s a breeze with a summon.
Don't go and die over nothing

User Info: WizardHazard

WizardHazard
1 month ago#7
Her stamina is fine.

Her invisibility annoys me but its fair and not a oneshot mechanic.

Friede healing Ariandel is a blessing. I outdps her healing and fighting Ariandel 1v1 is so easy.

3rd phase was the easiest of the fight to me, took me 2 or 3 tries once I got there while I died to phase 1 and 2 a dozen of times each

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#8
I already say she's a bad boss fight. She's got too much going on in phase 3 and the cheap estus sponge phases are obnoxious imo. That whole DLC is easily my least favourite part of DS3.

User Info: KDTProjekt

KDTProjekt
1 month ago#9
NStarshine posted...
I love Bloodborne, but the shift from 1/2 in terms of the way combat works to 3 is super obvious after playing Bloodborne.

Pretty much. She goes from a Gehrman reskin with an invisibility gimmic, to a Maria reskin mixed with Gehrman.
"Gamefaqs is just a random rants generator" - Westcurry
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. If Friede had been in Dark Souls 2 everyone would say it's a bad boss fight
  • Topic Archived