• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Beginner's Guide to Dark Souls 3 PvP

User Info: HeyItsTig

HeyItsTig
1 month ago#1
Alright so I thought I'd give back to the community and provide some useful tips for starting out in Dark Souls 3 PvP. If you've never tried the online aspect of the game and are curious, you'll find that Dark Souls 3 offers a rich and deeply rewarding PvP experience.

Follow the tips I've outlined and you'll be a PvP master in no time!

1. The build: You're aiming for a SL 125 dark build like this https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/365323
You will note that this build is stat optimized and boasts the best armor for Physical and Dark absorption. This build will allow you to damage cowardly players using shields with your Dark infused weapon.

2. The weapons: In your right hand equip a +10 Dark Lothric Knight Sword, and in your left equip a +5 Black Knight Shield. In your second left hand slot you'll equip the Sacred Chime of Filianore for the regen miracle. Basically this sword is the true top tier META that will do colossal damage and is longer than pretty much anything else in the game.

3. The playstyle: With this build you will want to play 100% passive. What I mean is you should never attack your opponent first; rather hold your shield up, wait for him to attack, make him miss, and then keep mashing the right trigger button. Again, keep your shield up, backpedal or shimmy side-to-side and never attack first; if you attack first, you lose and you don't know how to play the game ok? Before the start of any fight, switch to your chime and cast Bountiful Light and the WA for that META regen, and if you get hit, switch your Life Ring +3 to Sun Princess ring, and you'll get your health back in no time. If you take too much damage always switch to the Oak Shield and keep running from your opponent to regain your health. The only time you should ever attack first is with a running attack which is top tier, but do it when your opponent doesn't expect it. Here are the attacks you should do: R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1 R1. You can also do R1 R1 R2 if your opponent keeps rolling after your R1. Again this sophisticated technique has been shown to work again and again and is used by even the top players.

Ok so with the above tips you should be able to beat most players in the Arena and Pontiff, but if you want to compete against the good players, you'll need to follow the next tips.

4. Connect your PS4 pro to WiFi (this is mandatory!!!)

5. Limit your internet to 1 MB up/down.

Steps 4 and 5 will prevent you from having a stable connection and will transition you into the highest tier of PvP. With this connection you'll benefit from packet loss and packet delay. Remember that any information your opponent sends out will be received by your client, and with this connection your opponent's hits will NOT register properly and/or will be delayed, thus making you less likely to take damage. Also you don't have to worry about things like spacing or timing your rolls; your META connection has you covered and you won't get hit. With latency by your side, your opponent will never interrupt you out of your attacks, and at worst you'll trade and WIN that trade. After each trade just keep hitting that right bumper and you'll win. One other perk this connection has is hitbox extension. Your sword will be exactly twice as long due to the phantom range, so it'll be the same range as a spear. Additionally, your running attacks will be twice as long also.

Alright so the above steps should have you covered, but if you're REALLY serious about Dark Souls 3 PvP, you'll need to make the last adjustment.

6. Move to a country as far from the US as possible. My top picks would be South America, Russia, Japan, or China. These locales will offer your unprecedented latency benefits. In fact you'll be so overpowered you'll probably get barred from entering tournaments!
And if you're unable to move abroad, then I'd recommend moving to Kentucky.

Hope this helps, and see you at Pontiff!
Greatlance is love, Greatlance is life

User Info: thefernus

thefernus
1 month ago#2
Absolutely beautiful.
LOLI IS HOLY!
PSN/pawn - grandglutton/Leviatha; Loli_Nation/Lolinator Jr; Laifu4Waifu/GuardNexus; Minataura/Minataur; Lolinator3rd/Altair; LolinaInverse/Lina

User Info: Blak4xis

Blak4xis
1 month ago#3
HeyItsTig posted...
My top picks would be South America, Russia, Japan, or China.

Not gonna lie - most Russian players I've met have been utter scumbags. Invade their world, run up to them, watch them point down, get them on the ropes, see them disconnect. Move on, don't think much about it until you get a message from said player cursing you out and trying to troll in broken English. Maybe it's mostly a PC thing but 8 times out of 10, Russians I play against will either disconnect, hack, or have a connection that's janked up to high hell.

I will say though, one of the best players I fought was Chinese and it was kind of amazing watching them. I can't remember if they made changes to whatever setup they were using but they were dry fingering and taking on ganks. Literal parry god too. Didn't seem like they missed a frame.
So fresh and clean.

User Info: Temple

Temple
1 month ago#4
Mmmmm salty

User Info: Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857
1 month ago#5
Doesn't latency on the players part work to the opponents advantage though? Not the player with the lag?
And you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives...
...until old age take you back to the weeds.

User Info: thefernus

thefernus
1 month ago#6
Foxhound3857 posted...
Doesn't latency on the players part work to the opponents advantage though? Not the player with the lag?

Generally laggards have the advantage, that's why I've become kind of infamous. :P
LOLI IS HOLY!
PSN/pawn - grandglutton/Leviatha; Loli_Nation/Lolinator Jr; Laifu4Waifu/GuardNexus; Minataura/Minataur; Lolinator3rd/Altair; LolinaInverse/Lina

User Info: ShadowGirlxox

ShadowGirlxox
1 month ago#7
This works too

https://youtu.be/x805DDmKhGY
youtube.com/c/ShadowGirlGroove

User Info: HeyItsTig

HeyItsTig
1 month ago#8
ShadowGirlxox posted...
This works too

https://youtu.be/x805DDmKhGY

If you're looking for a fun poise build you could with a RKPGS poise monster. Those weapons have special poise breakpoint values that aren't as high as other ultras, so you can stack poise with the spear to about mid 40ish and trade with everything. Get in your opponent's face and mixup r1 and l1. Rolling and running l1 is also good and you can cancel out of the WA.
Greatlance is love, Greatlance is life
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Beginner's Guide to Dark Souls 3 PvP
  • Topic Archived