You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Black_Crusher

Black_Crusher
3 weeks ago#1
I had this game for years but only played up until highwall and then put it down, never to be played again.

Until today that is! For whatever reason I picked it up again and spent most of today having absolutely no idea what to do. It's been great actually! Kind of like how I tried DKS1 without any guide in doing the same with this too.

So I killed a rotted tree boss after 8 times (the shame!), went to some swamp with huge ass crabs of doom and then went into ANOTHER swamp full of poison and some huge ass goat dragon things. Dying all the way, huzzah!!

I'm playing a cleric (I guess) with a chime, heal, and force miracles. I use a Mace+3 and silver kite shield with a spiked Mace+3 on swap. The spiked Mace is pretty good- I got it from one of those fat priest women in the undead settlement. I have a grass crest shield I found next to the crabs but it doesn't have 100% phys resist so I don't use it much.

Last I left off was the bonfire at Farrol's Keep. I got an ember next to a greatsword black knight (they're in this game too ahhhh!) but the f***er killed me. I'm not sure what to infuse my weapons with as there's a ton more choice than the first game had. At level 33 my Strength is 23 and enough Dexterity to use the spiked Mace (13 I think). Faith's at 17 also.

I have no idea if I'm missing anything or everything but hells if this game isn't fun. I'm so glad I played this today!

Edit: Oh I found some Oolicile book and the antique clothes in a cave in one of the swamps. Who do I give the book to so I can learn those miracles?
My roguelike, Equin: The Lantern!
https://store.steampowered.com/app/547980/Equin_The_Lantern/
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: Alcaze_Gaming

Alcaze_Gaming
3 weeks ago#2
Im glad you're enjoying the game! :) I think the book will be for the sorcerer.. Or maybe the pyro, I would say if you google anything, google how to get the NPCs for Firelink Shrine, some are really well hidden.

Good luck with the game!

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
3 weeks ago#3
The spell tomes are for sorceries. The grass crest shield is also pretty solid, even though it doesn’t have 100% physical resistance. It gives a stamina regen buff which allows it to fill the slot of the cloranthy ring. Miracles are pretty hit or miss in this game. There are some phenomenal miracles, but they’re all late game/DLC miracles. All of the damaging miracles you get in the early/mid game sorta suck so you’re best just using them for healing between enemy encounters or for weapon buffs. You don’t have to worry too much about which times/talismans have the most poise when poise casting for PvE so all you need to focus on is which one has the highest spell buff. A higher spell buff will give you a better heal or better damage buff (except on blessed weapon which is a static percentage boost).

I’d also recommend infusing your spiked mace with a heavy gem and two handing it. Just use the minimum dex requirements for it since heavy infusions remove dex scaling. You’ll be able to trade with basically everything. The giant ghru with the trees are still a pain in the ass, though you don’t really ever have to fight them. And level vigor to 27 asap. 27 is the soft cap and is more than enough to get you through the whole game. Give yourself ~25 endurance so you can swing your weapon some and dump the rest of your points into strength and faith. You can switch from a heavy infusion to a lightning infusion later to give your mace faith scaling. It does remove the ability to buff the weapon though so a buff+heavy infusion would probably be best against bosses. Good luck.

Black_Crusher
3 weeks ago#4
Thanks that was good info!

So I have 1 heavy gem and should use it on the spiked Mace over the regular Mace? I also have a poison, refined, sharp, and raw gem. Unfortunately I wasted my fire get on a thrall axe so that ones gone.

User Info: loafy013

loafy013
3 weeks ago#5
Black_Crusher posted...

So I have 1 heavy gem and should use it on the spiked Mace over the regular Mace? I also have a poison, refined, sharp, and raw gem. Unfortunately I wasted my fire get on a thrall axe so that ones gone.

Heavy gem is good if you are focusing on strength. Sharp if you are a dex build. Refined when doing a balance between the two. Raw is great early on if your str/dex are at the minimum to use the weapon. Poison is trash.

Weapons can also be re-gemmed later. So for instance, raw might make your mace do higher attack right now. But after putting a few more points in strength, heavy will start pulling ahead so feel free to change it.
The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. That's fact.
Everything else, is theory.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Black_Crusher
3 weeks ago#6
loafy013 posted...
Black_Crusher posted...

Heavy gem is good if you are focusing on strength. Sharp if you are a dex build. Refined when doing a balance between the two. Raw is great early on if your str/dex are at the minimum to use the weapon. Poison is trash.

Weapons can also be re-gemmed later. So for instance, raw might make your mace do higher attack right now. But after putting a few more points in strength, heavy will start pulling ahead so feel free to change it.

Are the gems wasted when you change infusion? I forgot to add I have another rock that looks like it's the 'undo' item for infusions but I don't want to waste limited materials.

For my build, it's probably terrible but I just want to be a cleric who goes around smashing stuff in the face with maces and hammers lol. I use the heal miracle a lot but never use force at all. I think those are the only two miracles I have the option to buy from my firelink shrine NPCs but honestly I don't even remember buying them it's been so long since I played this last.

Edit: Oh and raw infused on the regular Mace increased the attack power a ton but I figured that would be "drake swording" a weapon on purpose and it'd suck overall later.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

User Info: DarthWendy

DarthWendy
3 weeks ago#7
Yes the gems are lost if you undo an infusion. Although this shouldn't be a problem, I can drop you whatever weapon with whichever infusion and upgrade you want, if you need any >_>
Ave Caesar, Rosae Rosam et Spiritus Rex ! - Voila, ca ne veut absolument rien dire mais l'effet reste le meme
https://i.imgtc.com/eRE0ORV.jpg

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
3 weeks ago#8
Both the regular mace and spiked mace are good, but I’d say that the overall higher damage of the spiked mace and it’s stunlock potential against regular enemies makes it a better choice for PvE. I also wouldn’t worry too much about wasting gems. There are plenty throughout the game and worst case, you can farm for them. The slugs and ghru in Faron Keep can drop heavy gems if you need more than what the game provides.

Black_Crusher
3 weeks ago#9
DarthWendy posted...
Yes the gems are lost if you undo an infusion. Although this shouldn't be a problem, I can drop you whatever weapon with whichever infusion and upgrade you want, if you need any >_>

Oh no thanks buddy but I appreciate it. I'm trying to do as much as I can before I hit the wall of WHATDOIDONOW???

In the first game this was the Four Kings abyss. I hadn't even seen Sif yet and no idea about equipping his ring and jumping to basically what would be your death in every other area of the entire game. Which is exactly what I did since I couldn't exit past the fog door at the top of the staircase. I love that game, but that was crap. That's when I turned to the internet for more. Luckily this is also where I learned that holy weapons kept friggin' skeletons down for good.

In a totally different game for the NES (and a s***ty one at that) there's Super Pitfall- In that one there's one area you find by purposely jumping into a vulture, which these things otherwise normally kill you. It's such a B.S. design choice.

--

So poison infusion is crap in this game? That's kind of surprising, since I had to rely on poison arrows to get past the Anor Londo knights and those worked really well.
(edited 3 weeks ago)

Black_Crusher
3 weeks ago#10
INCompl posted...
Both the regular mace and spiked mace are good, but I’d say that the overall higher damage of the spiked mace and it’s stunlock potential against regular enemies makes it a better choice for PvE. I also wouldn’t worry too much about wasting gems. There are plenty throughout the game and worst case, you can farm for them. The slugs and ghru in Faron Keep can drop heavy gems if you need more than what the game provides.

I'm trying to play this game more like my guy in Bloodborne and unfortunately I'm needing to rely on using my shield way more than I'd like to. Two handing the spiked mace vs. those crabs for example works pretty well but damn they are really fast when they want to be.

The same tactic vs. that Black Knight doesn't work at all. That motherf***er can close the distance to me in no time, and he usually two hits me before I can get a swing off. I know, I know "git gud" and all that but next time I'll try to shield and mace him to death and see if that helps.

Good thing about more heavy gems being in that swamp. That's where I got the one poison gem I do have, off the slugs.