You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Soulsborne games easiest to hardest in your opinion?

User Info: Spinder1

Spinder1
1 month ago#21
They're basically all equally difficult/easy is what I've decided after playing them all so much. There are differences that make them hard in different ways but each one has its own easier and harder sections and things that are more or less difficult/punishing depending on the game. Even going back to Demon's Souls, which is arguably the easiest in terms of the combat itself, it has a lot of environmenal hazards and areas like the Shrine of Storms, Valley of Defilement and Tower of Latria remain pretty brutal. The open structure also means that areas you might decide to go to early are unusually punishing, while in something like BB or DS3 that doesn't really happen.

I might give Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne the nod as hardest overall, but it's for their optional sections (Chalice Dungeons/DLC challenge areas etc.) more than anything else. None of the other games really went as far in making low-effort bulls*** f*** you sections. Though DS2 also deserves credit for being the most punishing in terms of mechanics, generally punishing you the most for making bad decisions in combat or trying to cheese the game (it's the only game where you don't become immortal upon touching a fog gate e.g.).
Let him be king over charred bones and cooked meat. Let him be the king of ashes
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: SolidKnight

SolidKnight
1 month ago#22
In terms of combat
1. Demon's Souls
2. Dark Souls
3. Dark Souls 2
4. Dark Souls 3

In terms of learning what to do and how to play
1. Dark Souls 3
2. Dark Souls 2
3. Dark Souls
4. Demon's Souls

User Info: Moeperry

Moeperry
1 month ago#23
They all seem about the same to me. Not much variation in my case. But probably easiest>hardest

Dark souls

Dark souls 2

Dark souls 3

Bloodborne

Any of them can be cheesed pretty hard, but trudging through them 100% all the items and dlc that would be my ranking
Maddox/spitfire/titan guy

User Info: KDTProjekt

KDTProjekt
1 month ago#24
They got mechanically more difficult with each iteration, but started making things more "accessible" and punishing the player less and less for their failures, whilst providing undo buttons for mistakes, and in general streamlining everything while ditching most esoteric s***. You die more as the games progress in the series, but care less and less since it costs you nothing. You don't die as much in the earlier entries in the series, but you feel the weight of that failure. Zero sum.
"Gamefaqs is just a random rants generator" - Westcurry
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: adampheasey

adampheasey
1 month ago#25
Demon souls was by far the hardest game. Not even a question. If you played it when it first came out. The fact that if you died it would make the enemies more difficult was insane. Dying 6 times in one lvl would all but asure you couldn’t play that lvl anymore. All the rest were pretty easy tbh but maybe that’s more about experience then actual difficulty I’m unsure. Also I was way younger so maybe there’s that too but I do believe demon souls was quite difficult

User Info: HentaiMan

HentaiMan
1 month ago#26
adampheasey posted...
Demon souls was by far the hardest game. Not even a question. If you played it when it first came out. The fact that if you died it would make the enemies more difficult was insane.

Wait really? Say WAAAAAAH? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqyixwqiCag
https://youtu.be/swIwgeaOasM
<(^.^<) <(^.^)> https://imgur.com/Mr374Y0 https://imgur.com/COylKWt

User Info: JessCalabr

JessCalabr
1 month ago#27
IDK I think it is way too hard to accurately judge that, I think experience means so much and makes the earlier titles seem harder assuming you did them in chronological order...

For me, Hard to easy:

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 2
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 3

Not being familiar with timing or tricks in BB made it hard to adjust to for me, on top of just being different in general... DS2 had a very different feel given the weird adaptability stat in the beginning and very tracky/mobby enemies and tough-ish DLCs, Demon's was pretty difficult and I think the atmosphere of it made it seem like more of an accomplishment/more intimidating than the challenge itself

Dark Souls wasn't all too bad honestly and I think a lot of people's concept of difficulty stems from familiarizing with the series for the first time, knowing where to go may have been confusing to a newcomer which may be considered hard or frustrating

DS3 was just more of the same to me, I like it a lot, but I didn't find it too hard and by the time I got here I was just pretty prepared for whatever they could throw at me
PSN- JesterCals ;
Youtube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj8sDiteEVofR_6iQokrQYA

User Info: GenericGuy

GenericGuy
1 month ago#28
HARDEST
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 1
EASIEST

Never played Demon's Souls.
Mods when they see a fun, harmless topic - https://imgtc.com/i/2aZ2BvS.png
Official Grotesque Steve of every board!

User Info: mninp

mninp
1 month ago#29
JessCalabr posted...
IDK I think it is way too hard to accurately judge that, I think experience means so much and makes the earlier titles seem harder assuming you did them in chronological order...

For me, Hard to easy:

Bloodborne
Dark Souls 2
Demon's Souls
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 3

Not being familiar with timing or tricks in BB made it hard to adjust to for me, on top of just being different in general... DS2 had a very different feel given the weird adaptability stat in the beginning and very tracky/mobby enemies and tough-ish DLCs, Demon's was pretty difficult and I think the atmosphere of it made it seem like more of an accomplishment/more intimidating than the challenge itself

Dark Souls wasn't all too bad honestly and I think a lot of people's concept of difficulty stems from familiarizing with the series for the first time, knowing where to go may have been confusing to a newcomer which may be considered hard or frustrating

DS3 was just more of the same to me, I like it a lot, but I didn't find it too hard and by the time I got here I was just pretty prepared for whatever they could throw at me

Good analysis, but for DS3 keep in the mind that the enemies have more complex movesets than any of the other games in the series, and by a pretty big amount. Those knights...brutal. And you don't get bosses like Pontiff, SoC, Champion Gundyr, or Nameless King in DS1 or 2. That's not even counting the DLC.

I will admit that DS3 STARTS easier than any other game in the series, but DS3's difficulty curve is pretty brutal.

I think we have to look at it from both a new player perspective and a veteran perspective. Imo, for a new player, this is my order from easiest to hardest.

Dark Souls 2- Lifegems, no boss until the entire first area is complete, game starts off fairly simple, slowly builds in difficulty

Dark Souls 3- Yeah the second half of the game is brutal, but the beginning is definitely the easiest for a newbie (with the exception of Gundyr, which can be tough)

Bloodborne- Beginning is TOUGH, but if you can get past that, the rest of the game is farily smooth sailing. Central Yharnam gives you the tools you need to 100% this whole game

Dark Souls 1- Not newbie friendly at all. Non linear, vague guidance on where to go and what to do, and some of these areas are brutal as hell like Anor Londo, Tomb of the Giants, etc

Demon's Souls- Definitely the hardest for a newbie. You hp is cut in half from the get go, you can't level up until you beat the first boss, and the game overall is just so much more unforgiving than the others

Now from easiest to hardest from a veteran perspective

Demon's Souls- Enemies and bosses aren't complex at all, areas are pretty tame compared to what comes later, halving your hp doesn't hurt a veteran nearly as much as a newbie

Bloodborne- The beginning will still be a bit hard, but the rest of the game is almost a cakewalk

Dark Souls 2- Bosses are insultingly easy for a veteran, but the gank mobs that make up the areas are still brutal and hard to deal with

Dark Souls 3 Enemies and bosses have the most complex moveset in the series, second half is still really hard, optional bosses are some of the toughest in the series

Dark Souls 1- I'm biased with this one because it was my last Souls game and I died more in this game than any of the other ones. The areas killed me so many damn times I was close to a rage

So if you take the average of these two lists we get this order, from easiest to hardest

Dark Souls 2
Bloodborne
Demon's Souls / Dark Souls 3
Dark Souls 1

I don't think this settles or accomplishes anything lol, but I enjoy analyzing this stuff. If someone made a great analysis that made sense, I'd love to hear it.
Games I'm looking forward to: Super Smash Bros 3DS & Wii U, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 2.5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#30
Also the half HP thing in DeS is reduced by the face there's a ring that turns it to like 15% from the first shortcut you find in the game
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Soulsborne games easiest to hardest in your opinion?