• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. No matter how I look at this character, I just can't justify its existence.

User Info: Foxhound3857

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#1
This is my primary toon, a 125 Quality build:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/362653

And this is the build I'm currently working on, a SL102 Luck/Faith build:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/362060

But the more I look at this Luck/Faith build and what it was designed for, the more redundant I find it to be with the already existing Quality build. It was intended to be a PvE character with an emphasis on Regen, but just about everything this character can do, my Quality build can do better.

-Quality build has more weapon diversity.
-Quality build has better ranged abilities: Composite for quick firing, Dragonrider for damage, and Pharis Bow for sniping.
-Quality build gets much more damage out of throwables with the exception of Lightning Urns, and the damage loss is only marginal there. But the damage from the other throwables is incredibly useful in PvP.
-Quality build gets the cheap, effective healing of Sacred Chime of Filianore without losing casting speed for other spells thanks to 40 Dex.

The only real edge the Luck/Faith build has over my Quality build is the potential for a higher amount of regen, but the problem with going that route is I can't realistically use Sacred Chime of Filianore because of slow casting speed. Saint-tree Bellvine is my only real option, so I lose one of my regen buffs, and although Bountiful Light is stronger, the difference isn't all that great. With Sun Princess, Ethereal Oak, Anri's, Bountiful Light and Blessed Weapon I get a healing rate of 14HP/Sec, but with my Quality build, through Sun Princess, Ethereal Oak, Pray for Favor and Blessed Weapon I get 10HP/Sec, which is still quite good. And the Quality build doesn't lack for damage as the Luck/Faith build, even if the loss in damage is minimal.

So no matter how I look at this build as it currently stands, with the Quality build I already possess, I just can't justify its existence. So what should I do with it? Convert it into a 60 Faith build maybe?

Edit: And for those wondering where Tears of Denial is, I apply it at a bonfire and swap spells. Or, in the case of a summon/invasion, I bring it into the hosts world via Darkmoon Ring, apply it, and then swap rings.
And you will all live to grow and thrive and lead happy lives...
...until old age take you back to the weeds.

User Info: Adam_Ocelot

Adam_Ocelot
2 months ago#2
Well...

You do get 10 character slots, so... (I have a Onyx build with pyro support, and a Corv. Scythe build with pyro support, it’s a difference of maybe 8-10 points between the two, and the CGS build could just be the Onyx build, honestly)

FTH builds are fun here though. I really enjoy my 22/12/10/60 build, a lot. Probably the build that I play the most.

So... your choice I guess.
Local moms want to meet

User Info: Temple

Temple
2 months ago#3
You can always use the filianores chime in left hand and boost its casting speed with bellvine in right hand.

Also, I think it’s great having healing spells for co op. And to be fair, the fth/luck is lower level. If it were also 125 you could probably bring up a lot of those weaknesses.

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#4
Temple posted...
You can always use the filianores chime in left hand and boost its casting speed with bellvine in right hand.

Also, I think it’s great having healing spells for co op. And to be fair, the fth/luck is lower level. If it were also 125 you could probably bring up a lot of those weaknesses.

I could do that for Med Heal but that would be a lot of swapping, and it wouldn't work with Blessed Weapon.

My Quality build uses Med Heal in Coop/PvP as well. Part of the incentive for pushing to 25 Faith was for access to Great Heal, but it actually turns out that it's not such a good healing spell. It's stronger than Med Heal, sure, but it also completely drains your stamina, which can be absolutely crippling if used at the wrong time. Med Heal at least leaves you with enough stamina to act afterwords. Even on my Luck/Faith build, I find myself preferring Med Heal over Great Heal just because it's safer.

Were I to take the Luck/Faith build to 125 it would have 50 Vigor and 30 Attunement. That or I would push it to 45 Faith for the Sunlight spells. But as the build currently stands, whatever it can do (barring Regen), my Quality build can do better.

User Info: SolidKnight

SolidKnight
2 months ago#5
I feel your pain and here's how I handled it: I raised all the stats toward 99 and I got to use whatever I wanted.

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#6
SolidKnight posted...
I feel your pain and here's how I handled it: I raised all the stats toward 99 and I got to use whatever I wanted.

Oh you silly knight, you.

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#7
Okay, I thought of one thing I could do with this character. Keeping the build at SL102, I could set it up as a regen/healing tank and use it for Spear of the Church invasions. The idea would be to stack the healing via Great Heal, Bountiful Light etc, to make myself hard to kill and harrass those who would dare disturb my precious sleeping Princess.

I could still use it for Coop at 102 as well, and I'd not be against doing Midir coop with this build as I am with my 125. I swear, you have no idea how much it annoys me to put my sign down at the Ringed Inner City bonfire looking for actual Coop or maybe a Spear fight to watch, and 99% of the people who summon me want to go straight to Midir and nothing else. I'll usually just suicide at the ladder and let the host fight without me or waste their time going back for another sacrificial shmuck.

If you want to summon for Midir, summon at his f***ing gate, not a bonfire that's intended for something else. If I wanted to fight Midir I'd put my sign in front of his gate.

Foxhound3857
2 months ago#8
Well, I gave Bountiful Sunlight a try, and after one use I already know it's not going to be viable in a 1v1 situation. It has the kneeling animation instead of the standing one, which means it takes too long to reapply mid-duel without being punished, even with Saint-tree Bellvine.

So it definitely seems like 25 Faith with Bountiful Light and Great Heal/Med Heal is the better option.

Foxhound3857
1 month ago#9
I've rebuilt the character specifically for SL100 (12 Strength instead of 14, mainly only use Ethereal Oak and a selection of parry shields), and I actually find that Replenishment works better for the build than Bountiful Light. With the relatively low FP, using both BL and Blessed Weapon in tandem depletes my FP gauge to the point where I don't have enough left to reapply both, or use Great Heal. By using Replenishment instead, I get two applications of both buffs on a single bar, or if I only need or have time for Blessed Weapon, three applications of BW and it leaves just enough for one use of Replenishment. And using both buffs together also leaves me enough FP for a Great Heal if I need that instead.

I'm still on the fence about Heal Aid though. It doesn't cast that much faster than Med Heal/Great Heal, and the health restored is pretty crap, not even a single hits worth in most cases. The FP to HP ratio sucks too.

Foxhound3857
1 month ago#10
Okay, well funny enough, even though I intended this character for PvE/Coop, it's actually more effective as a PvP character, specifically Spear of the Church. I'm sure the host isn't happy when they get me down to low health, have to break away because of the helper, then I get space to cast Great Heal and I'm back to full and they have to wear me down again, let alone the regen I have. I may not be great at going on the offensive, but I don't have to be with this build. If my opponent doesn't want to pressure me, I'll just sit back and regen or heal, and then they point down and throw dung pie or disconnect outright.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. No matter how I look at this character, I just can't justify its existence.
  • Topic Archived