You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. The one ring you couldnt live without...

User Info: MagickArrow

MagickArrow
1 month ago#1
Which is your most used ring

Let me know which you’d pick in the ‘other’ category, as well as which of the mage rings you use (pyro/mage/faith)
Don't go and die over nothing

User Info: GhostyMcToasty

GhostyMcToasty
1 month ago#2
RoF

Prisoner's chain and wolf ring? Why?

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#3
Prisoner chain's benefits far exceed their negatives now, unless you're at a high level.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

MagickArrow
1 month ago#4
Button_Masher_Z posted...
Prisoner chain's benefits far exceed their negatives now, unless you're at a high level.

I still am weary of using it at 120. In your opinion is is worth it at this level?

MagickArrow
1 month ago#5
GhostyMcToasty posted...
RoF

Prisoner's chain and wolf ring? Why?

I’m not a fan of prisoners chain, but wolf is useful for hitting poise breakpoints and maintaining fashion

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#6
MagickArrow posted...

I still am weary of using it at 120. In your opinion is is worth it at this level?

Yep.

Between the 5 VIT and the extra armor you can wear, you almost make up for the difference in defense. Then you get to change your VIG and END to get 10 more points elsewhere.

For STR builds, it'll benefit even more because of poise, and you can argue 15 points instead of 10.

You might try a free respec and finding a weak enemy. Get killed three times and average the number of hits it takes, though the crossbow hollow at high wall might stay consistent, if so, just take the number of hits. Then respec 5 points of HP down, 5 points of END down, and place them where you'd want them, wear the armor you would want to wear now that you have 5 more VIT (unless you also took 5 points out of VIT), and go count again.

In NG, it's a very weak enemy, and if you don't see a significant difference, the chain is hardly penalizing you. The biggest cost is a ring slot.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.

MagickArrow
1 month ago#7
MagickArrow posted...

Yep.

Between the 5 VIT and the extra armor you can wear, you almost make up for the difference in defense. Then you get to change your VIG and END to get 10 more points elsewhere.

For STR builds, it'll benefit even more because of poise, and you can argue 15 points instead of 10.

You might try a free respec and finding a weak enemy. Get killed three times and average the number of hits it takes, though the crossbow hollow at high wall might stay consistent, if so, just take the number of hits. Then respec 5 points of HP down, 5 points of END down, and place them where you'd want them, wear the armor you would want to wear now that you have 5 more VIT (unless you also took 5 points out of VIT), and go count again.

In NG, it's a very weak enemy, and if you don't see a significant difference, the chain is hardly penalizing you. The biggest cost is a ring slot.

But what about ng+7? Things hit real hard at that point... guess if the armor rate makes up the difference it’s all good though, seeing how it’s all percentage based...

I’ll have to check this out, although on the build I’m considering using it with it’ll be tough to decide which ring to replace

Havels, rof, wolf or life...

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#8
Yeah, technically the only case where it would be a definite problem to use the ring is when gains are marginal (high SLs), or if that loss in defense got you killed, or wasted significant estus. I don't think it'll cost significant estus, so it would have to be some magic threshold where with PC, you'd barely die, and without you'd have something like 10 hp left.

I'm ballparking that difference, and the problem with the crossbow hollow is that since he doesn't hit hard, the flat defense you get will mitigate a good portion of that damage.

MagickArrow
1 month ago#9
I’m wondering how much extra damage you might take from big bad bosses in ng+7, they hit so hard that an extra few percent damage may be pretty deadly. I haven’t tested though, so I’ll just have to see

It’s tough trying to work my strength heavy armor build to have a little faith.

I want 48-50vig, 30 end, blessed weapon, 66ish strength, 13dex, a decent normal shield and 42.25 poise... doesn’t seem like a lot to ask, but it always seems just a little out of reach...

User Info: Adam_Ocelot

Adam_Ocelot
1 month ago#10
Chlorophyll Ring.

(I haven’t had coffee, and I’m not interested in fighting with my phone right now. You know what I mean, I’m sure)

Probably the most used ring in my experience.
Local moms want to meet
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. The one ring you couldnt live without...