You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Opinions on Tip-Top Meta

User Info: JessCalabr

JessCalabr
4 weeks ago#1
What is the most meta?

Just curious what people would say runs the game at the highest level of the pvp meta...To me, sword and board seems to be the stand out for being solid all around and being able to switch to shield specific counters for things you come across, for example:

BK Shield -> Golden Wing vs. Sorcerors

BK Shield -> Ltg Lothric Knight vs. Faith Builds

BK Shield -> Ethereal Oak when at lower health
PSN- JesterCals ;
Youtube- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj8sDiteEVofR_6iQokrQYA

User Info: Juxtapose

Juxtapose
4 weeks ago#2
PKCS is the top of the meta full stop.
No victim no crime.

JessCalabr
4 weeks ago#3
I see you Jux! I just feel like the 1H nature of Sword and Board makes it superior in a way... like a player can easily switch between optimal defense vs essentially any build and crossbow offense without sacrificing moveset while a 2H weapon like curved swords would have to go through multiple presses to change up their game and be defensive
PSN- JesterCals ;

User Info: gotexas872

gotexas872
4 weeks ago#4
Juxtapose posted...
PKCS is the top of the meta full stop.

I tried dueling the other day and it was a curved sword fest. One summon was winning a lot with PKCS. I was the next to dual. I pulled out my +0 PKCS to prove how its a crux for people with less skill. After 6 minutes I was down to 20% hp and my opponent was back to around 85% hp because of passive regen. I had him down to 50% at one point with a +0 weapon! The host just disconnected for some reason. haha
PSN - x___APOLLYON___x Youtube - Daniel Plainview

Juxtapose
4 weeks ago#5
JessCalabr posted...
I see you Jux! I just feel like the 1H nature of Sword and Board makes it superior in a way... like a player can easily switch between optimal defense vs essentially any build and crossbow offense without sacrificing moveset while a 2H weapon like curved swords would have to go through multiple presses to change up their game and be defensive

Perseverance spam and crossbows are freely used with the PKCS with little issue even due to the weapon needing to be 2-handed.

I would place dark builds in general just below PKCS. They're very powerful, with GMB, ToD, easy regen, the f***ING MURKY and so on. But as it is, PKCS is just too good. It's running R1 has more range than a FUME's standing R1.. it's fast, rollcatches easily, is naturally suited for Old Wolf (a common tournament are) and so on.
No victim no crime.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

JessCalabr
4 weeks ago#6
No denying the ferocity of the PKCS, just be thankful it can't be infused lol. I definitely see where you're coming from and I can't really deny your viewpoint, however the way I see it is SS+Shield allows for streamlined usage between offense and defense given shield or crossbow offhand play, while curved sword is a different game depending on the 1H usage.

Also Jux, been watching your stuff here and there, and on and off have been attempting some mage gameplay... what is the layout of your typical mage build? Have yet to find a layout of your stats
PSN- JesterCals ;

Juxtapose
4 weeks ago#7
JessCalabr posted...
No denying the ferocity of the PKCS, just be thankful it can't be infused lol. I definitely see where you're coming from and I can't really deny your viewpoint, however the way I see it is SS+Shield allows for streamlined usage between offense and defense given shield or crossbow offhand play, while curved sword is a different game depending on the 1H usage.

Also Jux, been watching your stuff here and there, and on and off have been attempting some mage gameplay... what is the layout of your typical mage build? Have yet to find a layout of your stats

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/350116

There is my current build, although my spells will definitely change depending on the situation, mostly the last two. For example, I might switch out Homing Crystal Soulmass and Crystal Soul Spear for Affinity and Great Farron Dart.

Personally, I find sword and shield dark builds to be pretty easy to deal with when compared to the PKCS. I can easily roll any straight sword unless their predictive rollcatches are spot-on and shields mean jackall to me since I can have 2 different damage types for spells and three different damage types for melee. 60 intelligence and 18 faith actually gives decent dark/chaos damage for infusions. And if some guy wants to force me to parry and puts on a parry shield, I have the Witch's Locks.

The PKCS is a nightmare all around on the other hand, especially in Old Wolf. I'd put it even above the Murky, despite the Murky's ability to force resets with regen and force a loss on your end if you lack regen to use back. But eh, I don't have statistics with me, so it's just opinion at this point.
No victim no crime.

User Info: maeve2

maeve2
4 weeks ago#8
What is PKCS?

User Info: Limelol

Limelol
4 weeks ago#9
Not as good as the Hip-Hop Meta

maeve2 posted...
What is PKCS?

Pontiff Knight Curved Sword