• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Opinions on Spell Damage?

User Info: Connor4576

Connor4576
3 months ago#11
I was using a poise casting Faith build for a bit. At 125 it was rough trying to spread my stats. Can't remember them off the top of my head but I could get them if you wanted.

I found it extremely fun. Sunlight Spear was enough to one shot most people when fully buffed, I used the Rose of Ariandel and War Banner, and would only really have trouble against someone with more than 1800hp. I also used Lightning Storm, Lightning Arrow and ToD. The arrows were great for rollcatching and runners, Storm dealt with the BS fishers and the Spear was my poise counter.

The only drawbacks were my extremely limited stamina and smaller HP pool, hence ToD. It did take me a bit to get used to the timing of trades but the damage potential was insane. I used it for PvE and it felt pretty unfair, Faith melts a lot of bosses.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" - Ye Olde Einstein

User Info: ImmortalDragonX

ImmortalDragonX
3 months ago#12
Connor4576 posted...
I used it for PvE and it felt pretty unfair, Faith melts a lot of bosses.

I kinda feel the same about dark sorcery, tbqh. I use a setup with both sorcery rings, sage2, dark clutch, and blindfold mask, and I hit most stuff pretty damn hard. My main attack is Great Deep Soul, which hits hard, has exceptional tracking, costs very little, and is spammable to the Nth degree. Its also very effective against most bosses.

Then there's Great Soul Dregs. Just...yeah. I killed the Dancer on NG+ in 3 or 4 hits. Or course, she's also particularly weak to dark damage. When it works, it works well.
Insanity is a dish best served with fried rice and jello.
Youtube: ZanjitaShin. PSN: zanjita

User Info: Terenigma

Terenigma
3 months ago#13
LOOOPS posted...
Terenigma posted...
If you wanna talk about first-run then PVE Magic is straight up garbage.

Not true even slightly. Unless you are discounting using melee weapons, which means you are choosing to forgo a tool the game gives you.

I am discounting melee weapon for OP's sake and i did specify in my post that its for a magic-only run. The whole point of this thread is to talk about magic. Not melee and magic. Sorc/Faith builds are garbage until late game. Only Pyro as a magic only build is viable from the very beginning on a first run.

I don't think it's overly because of the soft/hard caps either. It's because you don't get useful spells until way too far into the game. Especially for Sorc runs. Pyro has great spells early and since most enemies have a weakness to fire it becomes even better. Sorc and Faith tho? You would do more damage bending over and farting on some enemies lol
Terenigma on Monster hunter 3U
Terenigma on Monster hunter 4U

User Info: LOOOPS

LOOOPS
3 months ago#14
As I said, if you're discounting melee weapons which mage builds can use just fine, you're intentionally ignoring one of the tools given to you. That is what Crystal Weapons and weapon buffs are for (despite I hate weapon buffs so I always just use unbuffable weapons). It's like complaining that no ring builds are unviable. You can't just willfully ignore a mechanic then complain when the game is kicking your ass.
Shoot first, think never.
FC: 3669-3715-9081

User Info: Terenigma

Terenigma
3 months ago#15
LOOOPS posted...
As I said, if you're discounting melee weapons which mage builds can use just fine, you're intentionally ignoring one of the tools given to you. That is what Crystal Weapons and weapon buffs are for (despite I hate weapon buffs so I always just use unbuffable weapons). It's like complaining that no ring builds are unviable. You can't just willfully ignore a mechanic then complain when the game is kicking your ass.

I never said anything about the game kicking my ass lol i've run through this games more times than i can count, i have builds for everything and i have 444hours on a single character who's on NG+7 x3 and yeah i agree that ofcourse you would use weapons with lighting blade/magic weapon but like i said, i was answering solely based on magic-only. Like i assumed OP wanted.

Anyways, i posted what i wanted and i have no intention of continuing this pointless back and forth with you. I know who you are and i know you are just as well versed in this game as i am. Let it go and move on and advise OP in your own way.
Terenigma on Monster hunter 3U
Terenigma on Monster hunter 4U

User Info: LOOOPS

LOOOPS
3 months ago#16
I just think Magic playstyles shouldn't be discounted. The pro of a Quality Build is that you get a massive variety of weapons to use. With a magic build, you get less. But on a NG character you're really only upgrading a few weapons regardless + you have all the spells at your disposal. IMO melee is just the most fun way to play this game. But it's a decent playstyle if you're willing to use weapons alongside spells. The true drawback of spells is their limited casts, otherwise they are really powerful; that's why weapons are handy so you only use spells when you need to.

Sure some of the enemies it just sucks to use spells against but I don't think that's a failure on From's part. It's part of the strategy to decide which enemies are worth using spells against and which are better to melee. It would be boring if it was like in DkS1 where you can get through the game just by locking on and spamming L1.
Shoot first, think never.
FC: 3669-3715-9081

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
3 months ago#17
The only caster build that’s seriously garbage until the end of the game are faith builds since their only high damage ranged option is sunlight spear. The only good early game spell they can get is lightning stake. Sorcery builds are fine early game. I’d say Vordt is a little more challenging when purely casting since the best strategy for Vordt is to stay underneath him and mash R1 but the basic soul arrow is fine enough for the early game. It really doesn’t take very long to reach the swamp, where you’ll be able to unlock your sorcery vendor, get the crown of dusk to further increase sorcery damage, and 2 sorcery scrolls which provide more utility spells, the best of which being hidden body and great Farron dart in my opinion. You can also go kill the deacons fairly early and get the scholar’s candlestick to increase your damage even more. The damage on sorcery builds is just fine early game. The only real detriment is how thin your stats are spread as a sorcerer which means you tend to be a little on the squishy side unless you want to be ridiculously overlevelled.

User Info: ImmortalDragonX

ImmortalDragonX
3 months ago#18
I honestly couldn't get myself to make a faith character until Lightning Arrow, mainly because faith casters are so very light on the offensive end early game and Sunlight Spear was basically the only worthwhile ranged spell late game. If you don't care about Irina's fate you can get gnawing pretty early, which can do fairly well, especially with the bleed proc, even on a non-dark oriented build. At least until you get Dorys' Gnawing, anyway.

Sunlight Spear is a good spell, don't get me wrong, but I just so much prefer Lightning Arrow. Aside from the fact that you can hold it and cancel out of it, its also very efficient on the fp->damage scale as it does a bit over half the damage of SSpear for a bit under half the fp cost.
Insanity is a dish best served with fried rice and jello.
Youtube: ZanjitaShin. PSN: zanjita

User Info: maeve2

maeve2
3 months ago#19
Magic is pure trash in this game.
Its damage has been nerfed to a joke.
It's casting speed is as slow as it was in DS1 while enemies are x3 faster now.
Plus you have to invest into attunement to be able to use anything castable.
Ashen Estus is one big epic fail.

Faith builds are nothing better. Your healing miracles are useless in multi player now as every one and their mothers have tons of restockable estus.

I remember I envaded a faith user. I killed him in two hits. TWO.
I remember a magic Aldrich, I killed him with a fire bolt (the guy had approximately 500 hp). A FIRE BOLT.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Opinions on Spell Damage?
  • Topic Archived