• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Did FROM Ruin Other Games For You?

User Info: Dt22

Dt22
1 month ago#1
I never seeked a challenge when I gamed it, I usually liked games where I could relax and do as I please like Skyrim. After almost selling this 2 years ago out of frustration I have stuck it out and played all these souls games around 10 times each.

I’ve tried games like Skyrim and the Witcher 3 but I couldn’t play the game longer than 5 mins with my new expectations. FROM has set the bar so high and these other games don’t even come close.

I’m not a pvp guy so after I play through these I take a small break until I start a new build to feel refreshed. What other games do you guys play?

Nioh was the only game I felt satisfied me somewhat but unlike souls games some bosses felt cheap/unfair and that is why they have game breaking spells like sloth because they have some merit. I only played through once and maybe didn’t totally get it but the loot system was getting annoying and so were the same enemies.

I’ve been waiting so long for a new game. Sekiro is a day one buy, I’ll buy dmc 5 and code vein, then ghosts of tsushima and Nioh 2 are a wait and see.

I haven’t touched gow or AC:O cause they look like the Witcher and I couldn’t stand that. You think with all these bogus soulslike comparisons that some of these games can even come somewhat close? But no, it’s like their stuck in the Stone Age. I feel like FROM deserves compensation for every time someone markets a game as soulslike.

User Info: LOOOPS

LOOOPS
1 month ago#2
Nah. I think they are some of the most addicting/replayable games ever made but they get stale after a while like any other game out there. I still enjoy Skyrim, for different reasons that I like DkS. Haven't gotten around to Witcher 3 but one thing I imagine it (offers among other things) is a good story which can't be found in DkS. Assassins Creed games are terrible IMO, the gameplay and story are both so dull but that doesn't really have anything to do with DkS.
Shoot first, think never.
FC: 3669-3715-9081

Dt22
1 month ago#3
LOOOPS posted...
Nah. I think they are some of the most addicting/replayable games ever made but they get stale after a while like any other game out there. I still enjoy Skyrim, for different reasons that I like DkS. Haven't gotten around to Witcher 3 but one thing I imagine it (offers among other things) is a good story which can't be found in DkS. Assassins Creed games are terrible IMO, the gameplay and story are both so dull but that doesn't really have anything to do with DkS.

I think my issue is I don’t play games for story but rather for Gameplay/combat. Gaming needs to be stimulating and challenging to me. I like rpgs and the dark/fantasy setting so souls games really scratch off all the boxes in things I look for.

I finished games like Diablo and Divinity but no urge at all to replay.

It’s funny that AC released a game every year for so long but that’s actually what From should be doing. These games are played for the combat, throw a new environment and enemies in there and ppl would be buying it every year.

User Info: SorrowOfAcheron

SorrowOfAcheron
1 month ago#4
Nah, I don't think so.

I don't really care about difficulty; if a game is easy but has good characters, story and gameplay then I'll play it and enjoy it.

I am eagerly waiting for the next release in the Souls series because I can't get enough of all the medieval armors and magic and combinations and how cool things can be.
I think the earliest we'll see a new Souls game will be 2020, with maybe a 2019 reveal.
"its very time of starting your story.
keep going!"
- Alice -99th

User Info: tearast

tearast
1 month ago#5
Oh wow, what an original topic. You are just too cool for other games now, you are just too smart for them. They are for children. You are now a pro gamer.

Dt22
1 month ago#6
SorrowOfAcheron posted...
Nah, I don't think so.

I don't really care about difficulty; if a game is easy but has good characters, story and gameplay then I'll play it and enjoy it.

I am eagerly waiting for the next release in the Souls series because I can't get enough of all the medieval armors and magic and combinations and how cool things can be.
I think the earliest we'll see a new Souls game will be 2020, with maybe a 2019 reveal.

I don’t think challenging is the word id use, I’d say the what I’m searching and can’t find with these type of games is satisfaction which these games all give me.

And to tearest that’s just an immature remark, as a matter of fact one of the recent games that I enjoyed was Mario Kart online but racing games get old fast.

User Info: Great_Khan

Great_Khan
1 month ago#7
I wouldn't say ruined and my difficulty preferences haven't changed at all (I still hate hard modes because they're boring), I still love plenty of other games of drastically different style and focus, but it has rejigged how I stand about a few aspects of games and a few designs.

I really have no interest in "expanses" anymore. From's complicated and winding level design is so goddamn compelling, and just wandering around a great big plain with POI's isn't satisfying at all to me now. I was never overly keen on open worlds but now I'm very dismissive and I think the quality of Soulsploration is a big factor of that. I loved Witcher 3, but I just cared about story and combat, everything in between meant nothing to me.

I now have unreasonable expectations in enemy & boss variety.

I now have an unreasonable expectation for weapons to be unique for reasons beyond visual skins

I can't stand pause menu healing at all anymore, it's a mechanic I cannot abide.

I expect to be wowed and impressed on a regular frequent basis. I demand more "moments" of sheer wonder than simply time to pass in a pleasant manner

tl;dr Souls made me hate Breath of the Wild

User Info: MagickArrow

MagickArrow
1 month ago#8
They’re the only games I play. I did play dragons dogma and Skyrim a while back, but they just don’t scratch the itch.
Don't go and die over nothing

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
1 month ago#9
It’s a forumula that I wish other games would experiment with but I wouldn’t say my experience with the Souls games have ruined other games for me. I can still crank the difficulty up if I want to, though I will admit that I wish devs were more creative with difficulty rather than just making enemies into damage sponges that can kill you almost instantly. That being said, I don’t play games exclusively for the difficulty. Games that are more narrative focused have their place too. Bioshock and What Remains of Edith Finch are both in my top 5 favourite games of all time, with the former not being overly difficult and the latter being a completely narrative based game devoid of challenge (would highly recommend both games if anyone hasn’t checked them out).

User Info: ImmortalDragonX

ImmortalDragonX
1 month ago#10
Not even a little bit.
Insanity is a dish best served with fried rice and jello.
Youtube: ZanjitaShin. PSN: zanjita
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Did FROM Ruin Other Games For You?
  • Topic Archived