• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. FROM needs to ban disconnectors

User Info: Toadwartt

Toadwartt
1 month ago#51
From won’t ban for it since that’s a decent size of its fan base and if you go after your fan base you lose sales. From is in the business of making money and you don’t want to lose a chunk of business for something so small.
"Then I saw it, a giant vagina with teeth, and I knew from then on that this was my series." -- MooreCoffee

User Info: KDTProjekt

KDTProjekt
1 month ago#52
riddlebox89 posted...
And what if the power or internet go out multiple times within a short period of time?

If the power grid was unstable in my area such that I was losing power multiple times in a short period of time, I'd shut my console off to prevent it from becoming a brick. Or get in the tornado bunker.

riddlebox89 posted...
Or if their connection isn't all that great and they keep getting disconnected?

Make it so Brazilians can only play with other Brazilians?
"Gamefaqs is just a random rants generator" - Westcurry

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
1 month ago#53
riddlebox89 posted...
INCompl posted...
That’s why a ban would only occur after repeated offences within a short period of time like in almost every other game that bans people for disconnecting. In a lot of shooters it typically takes a few disconnects within the same day to result in a temporary ban. The only games I can think of where a ban is applied immediately upon your first disconnect is in some fighting games with a very competitive ranked scene. DS3 obviously wouldn’t fall under that category.

And what if the power or internet go out multiple times within a short period of time? Or if their connection isn't all that great and they keep getting disconnected? It isn't impossible for that to happen.

Banning people for disconnecting is a terrible idea, there's way too many factors that make it impossible to tell whether the disconnection was on purpose or something outside of their control.

If your power/internet keeps going out or your internet connection is shaky to the point where you get several accidental disconnects within a short period of time then you shouldn’t be playing online to begin with. You wouldn’t go playing other online games when your internet is in that state because you’d get banned very quickly. Dark Souls shouldn’t be held to a different standard. If you’re playing online and are embered then you’re agreeing to PvP. It’s a built in game mechanic and if people don’t like it then they can play offline or unembered. Simple as that.

As for not being able to tell when a disconnect is on purpose or not, the game could check to see if certain criteria were met such as the host being at low HP, a phantom being at low HP, a phantom just died, or the invader just spawned in. The vast majority of disconnects happen under those circumstances so if one of those criteria are met then that disconnect would count towards your intentional discount total and after x amount of intentional disconnects have occurred within a set period of time (24 hours probably), the player will receive temporary ban that increases in severity as offences continue.

User Info: riddlebox89

riddlebox89
1 month ago#54
INCompl posted...
As for not being able to tell when a disconnect is on purpose or not, the game could check to see if certain criteria were met such as the host being at low HP, a phantom being at low HP, a phantom just died, or the invader just spawned in.

The vast majority of disconnects happen under those circumstances so if one of those criteria are met then that disconnect would count towards your intentional discount total and after x amount of intentional disconnects have occurred within a set period of time (24 hours probably), the player will receive temporary ban that increases in severity as offences continue.

How are they going to check for any of that when Dark Souls is a peer to peer game with the servers only acting as matchmaking tools? They're not going to be able to tell how much health someone had before they disconnect or how long an invader was present before they disconnected.

Sure they are, but that doesn't mean 100% of disconnections under those circumstances are on purpose. Which is why banning for disconnects is a terrible idea. It wouldn't even be a week after they started doing that that they'd have hundreds of reports of players being banned because their power or internet went out, which would mean they'd have to toss that system in the trash where it belongs.

INCompl posted...
You wouldn’t go playing other online games when your internet is in that state because you’d get banned very quickly.

No I wouldn't because I won't lay games where you get banned for disconnecting because of how s***ty a system like that is.

If you're going to get banned, it should be for something you actually deserve to be banned for, not for something that's completely out of your control.
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.

INCompl
1 month ago#55
riddlebox89 posted...
INCompl posted...
As for not being able to tell when a disconnect is on purpose or not, the game could check to see if certain criteria were met such as the host being at low HP, a phantom being at low HP, a phantom just died, or the invader just spawned in.

The vast majority of disconnects happen under those circumstances so if one of those criteria are met then that disconnect would count towards your intentional discount total and after x amount of intentional disconnects have occurred within a set period of time (24 hours probably), the player will receive temporary ban that increases in severity as offences continue.

How are they going to check for any of that when Dark Souls is a peer to peer game with the servers only acting as matchmaking tools? They're not going to be able to tell how much health someone had before they disconnect or how long an invader was present before they disconnected.

Sure they are, but that doesn't mean 100% of disconnections under those circumstances are on purpose. Which is why banning for disconnects is a terrible idea. It wouldn't even be a week after they started doing that that they'd have hundreds of reports of players being banned because their power or internet went out, which would mean they'd have to toss that system in the trash where it belongs.

INCompl posted...
You wouldn’t go playing other online games when your internet is in that state because you’d get banned very quickly.

No I wouldn't because I won't lay games where you get banned for disconnecting because of how s***ty a system like that is.

If you're going to get banned, it should be for something you actually deserve to be banned for, not for something that's completely out of your control.

It should be pretty obvious that FROM isn’t actually going to ban disconnectors. This is all hypothetical. If they were to implement this then dedicated servers would be a necessity. Also forgot to add being in the middle of being riposted to the list of things that are more than likely the result of an intentional disconnect. The vast majority of disconnects that happen happen during one of the situations that I’ve listed. A disconnect during one of these situations is more than likely an intentional disconnect. As in, the vast majority of disconnects that fall under these situations are intentional. No one intentionally disconnects when they’re winning, they disconnect when they’re about to lose. And if a legitimate disconnect does happen to occur during one of those situations then that’s unfortunate but it should still count towards your daily allotted disconnect total. I can basically guarantee that for every one legitimate disconnect that happens during any of the situations I’ve listed, there’s likely hundreds more that happened intentionally. And so if one person gets one strike against them (not even a guaranteed ban unless it happens frequently) I’m perfectly fine with that since it’s keeping the intentional disconnectors offline so that they can’t waste the time of everyone else.

And if you’re getting frequent legitimate disconnects then yeah, you shouldn’t be playing online and so a ban would be fine. Your shaky internet connection would be at the expense of everyone else who wants to PvP or co-op. Disconnects just waste everyone’s time and sully the enjoyment of those trying to play the game. So if someone finds them self in that situation then they should stay offline. No phantom or invader enjoys playing in a lag ridden world that’s prone to crashing. You also do have a degree of control over your internet. You choose your provider and you choose whether or not to be a wifi warrior or play with a wired connection.

User Info: riddlebox89

riddlebox89
1 month ago#56
INCompl posted...
And if a legitimate disconnect does happen to occur during one of those situations then that’s unfortunate but it should still count towards your daily allotted disconnect total.

No it shouldn't.

No developer in their right mind is going to think it's a good idea to ban players for something they have no control over.

And if you’re getting frequent legitimate disconnects then yeah, you shouldn’t be playing online and so a ban would be fine.

No, getting banned for something you have no control over is not, never has been and never will be, fine.

You wouldn't think it's totally fine if it happened to you.

You also do have a degree of control over your internet.

Yeah...as much control over whether or not the power in your house goes out. Which is pretty much none because that's something you can't control.

Even the absolute best connections can have hiccups. You can't will your connection to stay on 100% of the time.
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#57
This is ridiculous. If you connect and disconnect frequently, you’re causing problems for everyone, including yourself. If From implemented a temporary ban, that would be ok.

In fact, From did.

But removed it, because they f***ed it up.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

INCompl
1 month ago#58
riddlebox89 posted...
INCompl posted...
And if a legitimate disconnect does happen to occur during one of those situations then that’s unfortunate but it should still count towards your daily allotted disconnect total.

No it shouldn't.

No developer in their right mind is going to think it's a good idea to ban players for something they have no control over.

And if you’re getting frequent legitimate disconnects then yeah, you shouldn’t be playing online and so a ban would be fine.

No, getting banned for something you have no control over is not, never has been and never will be, fine.

You wouldn't think it's totally fine if it happened to you.

You also do have a degree of control over your internet.

Yeah...as much control over whether or not the power in your house goes out. Which is pretty much none because that's something you can't control.

Even the absolute best connections can have hiccups. You can't will your connection to stay on 100% of the time.

You wouldn’t get banned for having a couple legitimate disconnects. It would only happen if you were a repeat offender. Take shooters for example. In a lot of them I could leave an online game a few times in a row in quick succession before receiving a temporary ban. Moreover, this ban starts out very small (like 10 minutes). So your collection having a ‘hiccup’ as you put it wouldn’t result in a ban since this is assumedly an infrequent occurance. These sorts of systems don’t ban people who legitimately disconnect from time to time. If your internet connection is unstable to the point where you’re disconnecting as frequently as a gank host who can’t take a loss then you shouldn’t be playing online. Simple as that. And if it takes a ban to get that point across then fine.

As for not having control over your internet and power, don’t go through a garbage provider, play with a wired connection, and pay your power bill so you don’t get cut off. I have no clue what destitute third world country you’re talking about where people can afford a console, DS3, and a shady internet provider but the power goes out every 5 minutes. People like myself who want to play the game with as little lag as possible also play with cross region play turned off so we don’t get matched with people from El Salvador or whatever. Persistent power outages or connection loss to the point where the game thinks you’re intentionally disconnecting is a completely inane argument and if there even are people experiencing rolling power outages and connection loss all the time then they shouldn’t even be playing online to begin with. There’s offline play available for a reason. By playing online knowing that your connection is that bad all you’re doing is inconveniencing and wasting the time of everyone you meet in game, be it friendly phantom or hostile invader.

User Info: gotexas872

gotexas872
1 month ago#59
Button_Masher_Z posted...
This is ridiculous. If you connect and disconnect frequently, you’re causing problems for everyone, including yourself. If From implemented a temporary ban, that would be ok.

In fact, From did.

Was it that disconnectors were put on separate servers in DS2? That would be fair.
PSN - x___APOLLYON___x Youtube - Daniel Plainview

User Info: Limelol

Limelol
1 month ago#60
gotexas872 posted...
Button_Masher_Z posted...

In fact, From did.

Was it that disconnectors were put on separate servers in DS2? That would be fair.

Disconnectors couldn't play with anyone, unless they used the Bone of Order which was a constantly respawning item that would undo the ban.

To show you how useless it is, the same system is even in DkS3, yet most don't even know about it.
"That is so fetch!"
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. FROM needs to ban disconnectors
  • Topic Archived