• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. FROM needs to ban disconnectors

User Info: Juxtapose

Juxtapose
1 month ago#31
What? No! Why?

I love it when people disconnect! It's great content for youtube, regardless of which game it happens in imo.
You can take the tryhard out of Old Wolf, but you can't take Old Wolf out of the tryhard.

User Info: maeve2

maeve2
1 month ago#32

Disconnect occurs when player HP < 20%
Disconnect occurs X times in a row (for the sake of argument, say 3 times)
Disconnect occurs when losing in arena
Disconnect occurs more than X times in a day (lets say 10)

They already have penalty for disconnection during an online session. You expect the system to magically track every single aspect, aren't you? Please explain, how to implement it technically.

That has nothing to do with the argument, and is a false equivalence. Players have control over disconnecting or not.

Players may not have control over their connection/power supply/power supply at the IP's end/PS4 system/PC/compatibility/servers and others things that may cause disconnection. Even the Internet is not a magical flawless thing, it's created and maintained by humans, which means there will be errors.

A player has no control over the equipment of another player.

A player has perfect control over their own equipment. You know that players at High Wall have no Dark Hand(s) yet. Don't invade them with Dark Hand. It's that simple.

Like not live in a third world country with dial up internet? You realize this argument can be flipped on it's head and the player who disconnects is also not playing the way the other player wants...

I doubt dial up connection will ever support online multiplayer. I seriously doubt it is possible to play DS3 in a third-world country with their 1/7 power supply. (I'm not even mentioning that posession of such a valuable thing as a PS4 system might pose threat to your life there.)
No, this arguments can not be reversed as when you invade, you are in other person's game so it's up to them to decide what to do next. When in Rome... Have you heard the proverb?

It also had the PvP option included, and the two aren't mutually exclusive.

PVP and COOP are both parts of the multi player. What's wrong with it? Do you imply one part is more important than the other?

That's what TOS is for. Certainly didn't stop them from soft banning players in DkS 2, or permanently banning people who didn't deserve it in DkS 2, DkS 3, and DkSR

All banned people have been banned for using cheates or violating rules. They deserved it.

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
1 month ago#33
Just in response to the frankly stupid point about the use of non-area appropriate gear, people tend to set up twink builds themselves without the use of a mule character and the strength of all of these low level twink builds tends to come from more than just their weapons. Their armour, rings, and estus make a huge difference (particularly the latter which lets the invader heal as much as a host in some cases). You can’t drop upgrade materials, estus/bone shards, or spells. So if we’re to follow your logic then anyone who uses anything that can’t be acquired at a certain area should be banned. So even if you skill your way into getting max estus and higher level spells at a very low SL (which can’t be traded), you’d still be subject to a ban. Like I have a SL16 poison build that uses a poison infused ghru dagger, Smough’s legs, max estus, and a bunch of late game rings (Prisoner’s chain, original RoF, Havel’s, and the Hornet ring). All of this was acquired without the use of a mule and so my advantage was earned through skill as opposed to being gifted to me. In the same vein, I have a hyper mode sorcerer with 60INT and a point added to strength to use a short sword with everything else being base level. This sorcerer build uses the soul stream spell and invades in Irithyll. And yet because it uses an end game spell, by your standards I should be banned even though my setup literally couldn’t be acquired via a mule.

User Info: dthomas125

dthomas125
1 month ago#34
You can't punish someone just because their internet signal happens to go out at the wrong time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76LiS6vEvSg
China is putting up facial recognition AI cameras in schools to monitor the moods of their students.

User Info: KeatonHoro

KeatonHoro
1 month ago#35
dthomas125 posted...
You can't punish someone just because their internet signal happens to go out at the wrong time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76LiS6vEvSg

Lol
You only live once so jump in a hole like a boss & never come back!
Rabbits are a 10 year commitment! Rabbit.org

User Info: LOOOPS

LOOOPS
1 month ago#36
Just started playing again and I remember why disconnecting is the only option: the game is too unbalanced for solo hosts.

Consider this: Most invaders think that invading is stacked against them. The problem is this is from the perspective of an invader that constantly runs into gank squads or co opers. So that they can have an advantage against co opers they gear they're characters up with the most twinkiest builds imaginable, maxing out estus etc.

But then someone like me comes along, who likes to play solo. Suddenly mr twink has all the advantages and non of the disadvantages because they're geared up to fight gank squads and I'm just a solo host.

Let's list the advantages an invader has against a solo host:
1. Stats specifically tailored to min max at a low level (super high vigor, upgraded raw weapon, end game rings etc).
2. Can use the entire world of enemies against you.
3. Has max Estus.
3. Has nothing to lose upon death.

Your only real option as a host to even the odds is to summon and hope you get a competant phantom which is not always possible, at this stage in the game I rarely see any summon signs. Otherwise you can try running to the boss fog but in areas like Farron Swamp after killing the Crystal Mage (thus you can't go through that fog anymore) this isn't viable at all.

By the way when I said invaders are "geared for co opers" that's giving them the massive benefit of the doubt. Many of them are just doing it to twink and grief people because they're a******s. Invaders enjoy disconnects? That's cool with me because overall I don't care how they feel about it, I just want them out of my game. Get a lot of furious hatemail for it though (nearly every DC) which is pretty toxic and just makes me sympathize less.

As for disconnects. Never had this so called soft ban happen to me in my total playtime (39 days).

If the game was better balanced for solo hosts than maybe disconnecting being punished would be justified. I just did a full playthrough of Dark Souls 1. 360 version because f*** shelling out for Remastered. Surprisingly there was some activity but I forgot just how bad twinking was in that game and got killed in one hit by an obviously maxed out weapon. From that point on I just DC'd upon noticing I was invaded which is a shame. It's people like that who ruin it for others.
Shoot first, think never.
FC: 3669-3715-9081

User Info: riddlebox89

riddlebox89
1 month ago#37
the_NGW posted...
A ban is perfectly fine.

No it isn't.

They've got no way of knowing whether the disconnect was on purpose or a legitimate disconnection.

Which means they'd end up banning players because of a power outage, their internet provider having problems or accidentally hitting the power button on their console.

Getting banned when you don't deserve it is never perfectly fine.
I am a dedicated member of the "Walter Sullivan Is Bad-Ass" group!!!
I am the true originator of the Cookie Demon theory on the SH2 and 3 boards.

INCompl
1 month ago#38
LOOOPS posted...
Just started playing again and I remember why disconnecting is the only option: the game is too unbalanced for solo hosts.

Consider this: Most invaders think that invading is stacked against them. The problem is this is from the perspective of an invader that constantly runs into gank squads or co opers. So that they can have an advantage against co opers they gear they're characters up with the most twinkiest builds imaginable, maxing out estus etc.

But then someone like me comes along, who likes to play solo. Suddenly mr twink has all the advantages and non of the disadvantages because they're geared up to fight gank squads and I'm just a solo host.

Let's list the advantages an invader has against a solo host:
1. Stats specifically tailored to min max at a low level (super high vigor, upgraded raw weapon, end game rings etc).
2. Can use the entire world of enemies against you.
3. Has max Estus.
3. Has nothing to lose upon death.

Your only real option as a host to even the odds is to summon and hope you get a competant phantom which is not always possible, at this stage in the game I rarely see any summon signs. Otherwise you can try running to the boss fog but in areas like Farron Swamp after killing the Crystal Mage (thus you can't go through that fog anymore) this isn't viable at all.

By the way when I said invaders are "geared for co opers" that's giving them the massive benefit of the doubt. Many of them are just doing it to twink and grief people because they're a******s. Invaders enjoy disconnects? That's cool with me because overall I don't care how they feel about it, I just want them out of my game. Get a lot of furious hatemail for it though (nearly every DC) which is pretty toxic and just makes me sympathize less.

As for disconnects. Never had this so called soft ban happen to me in my total playtime (39 days).

If the game was better balanced for solo hosts than maybe disconnecting being punished would be justified. I just did a full playthrough of Dark Souls 1. 360 version because f*** shelling out for Remastered. Surprisingly there was some activity but I forgot just how bad twinking was in that game and got killed in one hit by an obviously maxed out weapon. From that point on I just DC'd upon noticing I was invaded which is a shame. It's people like that who ruin it for others.

Invaders do actually lose souls upon death. Though to be perfectly honest souls really don’t matter a whole lot in this game. You end up getting so much from bosses that what you get from killing enemies doesn’t really matter as much. Like when I’m running through the game to set up a PvP build I usually only end up killing a couple mini-bosses and just run by everything else. This alongside consumable souls gives me more than enough levels. Side note, but when I invade a solo host I try to duel them. Meaning I don’t chug. I still use whatever gimmick my build is based around, but I do it without using my estus. If the host chugs then I chug too, limiting how much I chug depending on whereabouts in the game I am. If I’m at the high wall then I get 3 if the host doesn’t want to duel because that’s how much estus the host has in all likelihood. If I’m in Farron keep or later then I get all 7 because at that point in time the host will have 7 estus. No not all invaders do this, but I can only really think of one time where I got ganked as a solo host and that was by 2 Aldrich faithfuls immediately after killing Pontiff. The rest of my experiences being invaded as a solo host have been fine. And if you just play solo anyways then why don’t you play offline? You’d be saving everyone a bunch of time since neither you nor the invader would have to deal with you disconnecting. It’s what I do when I just want to play through the PvE and I switch back to online when I actually want to participate in PvP.

User Info: Button_Masher_Z

Button_Masher_Z
1 month ago#39
Min-maxing is only an advantage if the host doesn't do it.

Hosts rarely go into enemies, so they might summon if the invader won't engage. Do that.

Max estus is a problem, wish fromsoft would abandon the estus upgrade mechanics.

And ember isn't much to lose, so the host isn't really losing much either.

The first two parts of LOOOPS' argument is "hosts are stupid." That's not a good argument.
Support for optimism: Nearly everyone I meet is some poor sod who doesn't realize what they've got, and I'm the worst offender.
We all learn when we lose it.

INCompl
1 month ago#40
I would argue that at least with estus upgrades, you can’t have that transferred via a mule character like you could with twink rings, weapons, and armour. So at least getting that amount of estus is entirely reliant on player skill. It’s more of an earned advantage than one that could just be given.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. FROM needs to ban disconnectors
  • Topic Archived