• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. As Replayable As Previous Souls Games?

User Info: johnrayjr

johnrayjr
4 months ago#1
As a general disclaimer, I'm new to DS3 (wrapping up my first playthrough), but would consider it among the best games on the PS4.

That said, I'm not sure I will dive right back in to experiment with a new build. Some of that could just be me (mood, state of mind), but for some reason I don't feel like it will be as thrilling to explore new approaches. I played the original Dark Souls three times in a row: first as a mage, second as a stone-armor-great-zweihander/great-club tank, third as a DEX-INT darkmoon rogue. Fantastic experience. Did something similar with Demon's.

Here, I played a pure Dex build, and I don't feel like there's as much room to dive back in and aggressively seek out advantages for a STR build or a mage/pyro. I anticipate the game feeling closer to my original run.

Am I crazy? What is everyone else's experience.

User Info: ImmortalDragonX

ImmortalDragonX
4 months ago#2
I've never played any of the previous Souls games. Just DS3 and Bloodborne.

However, I've made and played numerous different characters with different build and/or weapon setups. I've also deleted a few to make room for new characters. For me, that's part of the fun of playing this game is trying to come up with a new idea for a character and making it as close as I can to what I'm imagining.

I've done a "Quincy" build, inspired by the manga/anime "Bleach" that focused on archery and pretty much finaled with Lightning Arrow miracle. Carries a back-up melee weapon the the form of a Lightning Corvian Greatknife, but otherwise pretty much uses physical bows (Dragonrider bow and Millwood Greatbow, to be exact) and Lightning Arrow (which is effectively a magic bow and arrow) exclusively.

I've made a Naruto manga/anime homage character of Shino Aburame. A character that uses insects in his jutsu. To replicate that I made him a dark sorcery/miracle build. Started out mainly using Gnawing and Dorys' Gnawing miracles (and still use the latter sometimes) before switching over to mainly the dark sorceries to emulate the various insect cloud attacks.

Did a few cosplays as well. Leonhard the Ringfinger with Crescent Moon Sword, Dragon Slayer Armor with Dragonslayer Greataxe and Greatshield, and a Ringed Knight with RKSS, RKS, and Dragonhead Shield.

Others just based around a specific weapon or two. Of course, there's also been my generic melee, sorcery, and pyromancy builds with no particular influence.

My problem isn't really in creating a new character, its taking that character through more than one game cycle. To this day, I don't think I've actually completed a NG+ run. Its not that I can't, its just that I can't seem to stick with the second run with the same character.
Insanity is a dish best served with fried rice and jello.
Youtube: ZanjitaShin. PSN: zanjita

User Info: johnrayjr

johnrayjr
4 months ago#3
Now that you mention it, I think it might be fun to play through the game in Dragonslayer gear, but for something like that, I suppose you have to accept that you're asking someone to drop the gear for you, right?

In the original Dark Souls it's pretty reasonable to beeline for whatever it is that's essential to your build. That's part of my issue here.

User Info: ImmortalDragonX

ImmortalDragonX
4 months ago#4
johnrayjr posted...
Now that you mention it, I think it might be fun to play through the game in Dragonslayer gear, but for something like that, I suppose you have to accept that you're asking someone to drop the gear for you, right?

In the original Dark Souls it's pretty reasonable to beeline for whatever it is that's essential to your build. That's part of my issue here.

Eeehhhh...kinda, yeah. I mean, there are people that can pull off fighting DSA pretty damn early in the game. I'm not one of them, but it can be done.

Personally, I just come up with something, have a friend drop me what I need for it, or at least what can be dropped, and drop me a few souls and maybe a few extra odds and ends, then off I go. At the least, I'll burn enough souls to allow me to use whatever weapons I had dropped for me, and at most I'll level to 120-150. Admittedly, its usually the latter, but I've already beaten the game legitimately so...I don't really care about over leveling. Especially for the beginning areas. Its all for my personal enjoyment at this point and anyone that wants to thumb their nose at me for doing what I do can take a flying leap as far as I'm concerned.

That said, one can just as easily have a weapon, shield, and/or armor dropped for them from someone else to experience playing the game essentially from start to finish just to have as much fun with it as possible. Sure, some weapons are harder than others, usually in terms of stat allocation, like say Frayed Blade and its 40 dex requirement, that may delay when you can actually use it unless you get some souls dropped for early and easy levels. But, most weapons don't have such stringent prerequisites.

It really just boils down to what you want to play and how you want to play it.
Insanity is a dish best served with fried rice and jello.
Youtube: ZanjitaShin. PSN: zanjita

User Info: MagickArrow

MagickArrow
3 months ago#5
As with all souls games the bosses eventually get boring once you’ve beat them enough, however I think ds3 is great for replay value.

Magic in this game, whichever school you choose, has a lot of new features such as

Faith: all healing spells(most) heal the party. Hyper armor casting, and stronger miracles at close range.

Int: more weapon functioning spells for combat so you’re not just always rolling back and shooting projectiles like ds1. Powerful stealth spells

Also Melee builds have some unique takes on different features... like

Poise: weapons have ‘poise health’ meters now, so playing a medium to heavy weapon character with armor is really different than playing a light weapon/light armor character.
Don't go and die over nothing

User Info: KINGR1P

KINGR1P
3 months ago#6
I have 6 characters in this game but for some reason my original character based off Ophelia from Claymore didnt carry over from when my old PS4 died on me.

So i may make another Warrior to compensate. Been kinda itching to play thru a Souls game really quick since i just quickly ran through BB.

These games do have a lot of replayability if you're into cosplay or if you just want to try different builds. I find that certain builds work well against certain bosses but may have trouble with others. That's part of the fun.

User Info: INCompl

INCompl
3 months ago#7
Not a ton of replayability outside of challenge runs. I set up a lot of low level twinks without just having all of the stuff dropped for me which means I have to restrict my level and weapon upgrades for the entire playthrough. I’ve done a SL54 poise caster with lightning spear, lightning storm, and lightning arrow with +5 weapons and maxed estus and most recently I did a SL16 poison tank with +1 weapons and maxed weapons. Only managed to get the regular RoF on that build though. Trying to get through the Twin Princes with no damage was a bit much. Otherwise I would’ve gone into the Ringed City and picked up the RoF+3 and Havel’s +3. The challenge behind setting up these builds keeps the game fun though. And you don’t have to grind souls like you would when setting up a SL125 build

User Info: maeve2

maeve2
3 months ago#8
It depends on your definition of 'replayability'.
To me, the game itself has 0 replayability. Why? Ng+ has nothing new to offer. All enemies can be killed with one sword. Magic nerfed to a joke. You can try and suffer... I mean play as a mage or pyro in PVE but in PVP only strength builds survive.
Low-level runs and PVP anti-twink builds bring replayability back to us but apart from this...
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. As Replayable As Previous Souls Games?
  • Topic Archived