• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Never played as 2h, tips?

User Info: nadir912

nadir912
5 years ago#1
Hey guys. Im currently playing on my miracle class and after im done, im gonna reroll as a 2handed weaponwielder. I only tried sorcery and 1h + shield before.

1. What class is the best too start for 2h focus? (I know that you can reroll stats)
2. Best stats to focus? Stre + End? Vig? Dex? Vit?
3. Whats your favourite 2h weapon?
4. Best gem to infuse with? Raw? Heavy gem due to strength?
5. Tip for early 2h items? Anything that you can think of picking up - name it!

User Info: IIwintermuteII

IIwintermuteII
5 years ago#2
nadir912 posted...
Hey guys. Im currently playing on my miracle class and after im done, im gonna reroll as a 2handed weaponwielder. I only tried sorcery and 1h + shield before.

1. What class is the best too start for 2h focus? (I know that you can reroll stats)
2. Best stats to focus? Stre + End? Vig? Dex? Vit?
3. Whats your favourite 2h weapon?
4. Best gem to infuse with? Raw? Heavy gem due to strength?
5. Tip for early 2h items? Anything that you can think of picking up - name it!

go refined, and grab an Astora Greatsword. 40str/40dex. other than that focus on endurance and whatever else you want be it vitality/vigor. i personally have 35/35 and use the rings to get it to 40/40. the astora is my personal favorite but you could go zwei, profaned, lothric, etc. you have a lot of great options with a quality build (40/40 or 30/30)

User Info: SoullessRaptor

SoullessRaptor
5 years ago#3
1) Warrior or Knight. Knight is easier early on.
2) STR, DEX, END.
3) Exile Curved Sword or Profaned GS
4) Refined or Heavy, probably.
5) Get Havel's Ring.
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person"-KS devteam

User Info: zedzilla

zedzilla
5 years ago#4
The truth is that regardless of the weapon you choose you should learn to switch back and forth between 2 hand and 1 hand modes as generally both modes offer distinct pros and cons for each weapon.

2 handing in of itself shouldn't determine your whole build. I like using heavy weapons so I would recommend the greataxe class and the ultra greatsword class, but there are many lighter weapons that have nice 2 hand movesets such as Katanas and spears and probably tons more.

Look at what your first build did and just aim for a completely different weapon and let your stats fall from there.
Zzz

User Info: Rango

Rango
5 years ago#5
I'm fond of Claymore and Zweihander myself.

User Info: Skyfiredraconus

Skyfiredraconus
5 years ago#6
1: i went knight. Great starting armor and weaponry. Not much in wasted stats

2: 40/40 refined seems to be the most common way to go right now (though there are some str and dex builds around). Early on i'd say raw or fire gem your weapon (more on that in a minute) and just go with base requirements for your weapon choice until you get about 1000 hp and 100 stam. After that go vit until you don't fat roll (sub 70%) and then start working your damage stats.

3: Oh there are so many. My current favorites are black knight great axe and profaned greatsword. Currently getting mats to level a black knight glaive. Also had tons of fun with lothric knight greatsword, astora greatsword, etc. So, so many.

4: Late game? Refined. Early game? Raw or fire. I'd go fire, because there are a lot of early enemies that react to fire damage (pus of man enemies are a pain in the ass early on and FREAK OUT when on fire :P).

5: early 2h grab the claymore near the dragon on high wall. That thing saw me for fully half the game and i could have stuck with it if i didn't start playing with other weapons. Once you get to cathedral of the deep snag the astora greatsword. Its early in and is an incredible UGS.

side tip: even if you are 2h'ing most of the time its still worth your while to get a shield of some sort. Some weapons have wildly different move sets while 1h (example: my black knight axe is an overhead swing while 2h but a HUGE arc aoe horizontal while 1h. Much better for mobs). Also, shields with special effects still work even on your back while 2handing. So once you get, for example, the grass crest shield (for stam regen) or the shield of want (for more souls) you can slap em on and 2h around and still get the bonus.

good luck :)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe" - Albert Einstein

User Info: super_taco_ftw

super_taco_ftw
5 years ago#7
1. Depends on what kind of weapons you plan to use. Greatswords or Ultra Greatswords? Probably Knight. Greathammers or Greataxes? Warrior is probably best. Curved Greatswords? Probably Knight again. Basically, you want quality for most Greatswords or UGS, Strength for Hammers/Axes, Dex for Curved GS.
2. Again, depends on the weapon type. You're gonna want a lot of endurance though, given how much stamina they tend to use. Vit too, so you can actually move with one.
3. Not an expert really, but I've heard the Profaned UGS, Dragonslayer Greataxe, Black Knight Greataxe, Smough's Hammer, Astora UGS and Fume UGS are all great weapons.
4. Depends on the weapon. When you find a weapon you want, you can always check which infusion is most beneficial. Generally, you'll want Heavy if you're pure strength, Sharp if you're pure Dex, and Refined if you go Quality.
5. I think you can buy a Bastard Sword pretty early on. Probably a good pick until you have the stats for bigger weapons. Vordt's Hammer is available after the 2nd boss, Executioner's GS is available fairly early and is good for strength builds, and I think the Astora UGS is found in the same area. Most of those weapons I listed earlier though are late game weapons, and some may require 50 str just to wield one handed.
"It is a mistake to believe you can solve all of life's problems with just potatoes." - Douglas Adams

User Info: Rango

Rango
5 years ago#8
So basically, Astora GS > Claymore?

IIwintermuteII
5 years ago#9
HeroicSomaCruz posted...
So basically, Astora GS > Claymore?

well its lighter! haha. but both are amazing weapons.

IIwintermuteII
5 years ago#10
Skyfiredraconus posted...
1: i went knight. Great starting armor and weaponry. Not much in wasted stats

2: 40/40 refined seems to be the most common way to go right now (though there are some str and dex builds around). Early on i'd say raw or fire gem your weapon (more on that in a minute) and just go with base requirements for your weapon choice until you get about 1000 hp and 100 stam. After that go vit until you don't fat roll (sub 70%) and then start working your damage stats.

3: Oh there are so many. My current favorites are black knight great axe and profaned greatsword. Currently getting mats to level a black knight glaive. Also had tons of fun with lothric knight greatsword, astora greatsword, etc. So, so many.

4: Late game? Refined. Early game? Raw or fire. I'd go fire, because there are a lot of early enemies that react to fire damage (pus of man enemies are a pain in the ass early on and FREAK OUT when on fire :P).

5: early 2h grab the claymore near the dragon on high wall. That thing saw me for fully half the game and i could have stuck with it if i didn't start playing with other weapons. Once you get to cathedral of the deep snag the astora greatsword. Its early in and is an incredible UGS.

side tip: even if you are 2h'ing most of the time its still worth your while to get a shield of some sort. Some weapons have wildly different move sets while 1h (example: my black knight axe is an overhead swing while 2h but a HUGE arc aoe horizontal while 1h. Much better for mobs). Also, shields with special effects still work even on your back while 2handing. So once you get, for example, the grass crest shield (for stam regen) or the shield of want (for more souls) you can slap em on and 2h around and still get the bonus.

good luck :)

i can vouch for the fact that early game fire longsword+3 is disgustingly good. (PVE+PVP)
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Never played as 2h, tips?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A