You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Covenant Joining/Reward Guide *Spoilers*

User Info: PainAmplifier

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#101
gatorr4life posted...
Getting sawgrass is pretty much impossible. Especially when I'm SL 200! There should be a better way to farm this besides having to kill the same three guys for hours and hours.

Actually...I found Sawgrass to be extremely easy to farm in PVE.

For quickest farming you want to be able to use the "Great Chaos Fire Orb" Pyromancy. (Very low stat requirement) A few points in Attunement for extra FP is helpful though.

Max out your damage using the Pyromancy rings and wear the Covetous Gold Serpent ring as well.

Travel to the Keep Ruins Bonfire from the Road of Sacrifices bonfire list, Turn around and Spam the Fire orb on the Three Ghru's right outside. Once dead search the bodies for the grass, then rest at the bonfire and repeat.

Shouldn't take more than a hour (Two at the most) to get all 30 swordgrass you need to get the second level of the covenant.
~Pain has a face. Allow me to show it to you.~

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#102
..and DONE with the Sunlight Covenant.

Farmed these at the Lothric Castle Bonfire. Total Item Discover is 260, that is 10 Luck, Covetous Gold Serpent Ring, and Symbol Of Avarice for item find equipment.

Weapon is Lightning Serpent Hatchet +9 for this. Lightning since the Knights are weak to it, and the Hatchet because larger weapons tend to hit the archway walls making it hard to bum rush the Knight since that is he stops walking and gets pushed back into.

I initially started by testing, going from the bonfire backwards towards the Dancer Bonfire. Killing the Sword Knight, the Two Priests then the Spear Knight, then the final Priest and the Red Eye Knight. This simply took too much time, mostly due to Priest at the Red Eye Knight, but also the long run back. (Using my normal weapon instead of the Hatchet.)

I found it much faster to just spawn, take a couple of steps to target the Sword Knight then do a running R1 with the Hatchet and 85% of the time I'd kill the Knight in 4-5 swings with stunlock. This would usually end up with me right in the archway, so taking two steps and killing the Priest as he stood up was a gimme since it added very little appreciable time to the run, but gave a fair amount of souls. (Using the Shield of Want, it was 4500 for the Knight and 1440 for the Priest.) I got somewhere over 3 Million souls and spent about 3 hours going from one Sunlight item to all 30.

If I missed the stunlock and had to back up to kill the knight I usually forgoe the priest and just reset at the bonfire. Rusted copper coins didn't seem to do much of anything and I didn't feel the need to burn Gold ones either. The Hatchets weapon art made no appreciable difference in the number of swings to kill the Knight, although anything other than using R1 was basically letting the Knight get free hits on you since it was stupidly slow. (Both 1H and 2H)

I got a huge pile of Large Titanite shards and a very appreciable amount of Chunks doing this, a large number of which I used to level up some gear to +9 and try them out. I also got a ton of Lothric Knight items that I sold for souls. I only got 3 Blessed Gems doing this, which is far less than the Poison Gems (~10) I got from farming the Sword Grass.

Not sure which covenant to do next, but I'm going to take out the Dragonslayer armor first if I can.

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#103
Back again, this time working on Vertebra Shackles. I was able to kill Dragon Slayer armor, although I will say taking more than one summon to that fight is not a good idea, and I was able to clear the Grand Archives all the way up to the boss fight but didn't try them yet. Instead I decided to farm the next covenant and see how good of a setup I could come up with instead.

Only three minor changes to my setup this time. I replaced my estus ring with the Covetous Silver Serpent ring for extra souls since healing need was nearly nil, even when I managed to screw up a bit, unlike if you miss a stunlock on the knight farming Sunlight Medals. And second, I stopped using the Serpent Hatchet and started using a Refined Morning Star +9. Although even with the Silver ring soul gain for grinding here sucks. Only a mere 1,266 per rest at the bonfire. And lastly I re-arranged my spell loadout. For this run I only have the Replenishment and Blessed Weapon Miracles attuned. I had other spells for my sunlight medal farming...just never used them, as they were unnecessary for that.

Before I really started farming covenant items, I did some exploring, checking out what enemies where worth farming for the items. And unsurpsingly enough the meta on this is pretty much spot on. You want to farm the 2 Red Eye Carthus Sword Weilding Skeletons closest to the First bonfire. (Behind the Bars the first skeleton ball smacks up against.) Any other route simply takes too long for too few enemies to kill. Almost surprising, as the first time I explored here it felt far more populated, but now it feels kinda empty when I want a slew of enemies to kill...

Basic run starts at the bonfire. I run to the corridor intersection where the second skeleton ball rolls through and stop, casting Replenishment and Blessed Weapon. Replenishment to reduce the HP loss from the Symbol of Avarice and Blessed Weapon for extra Damage against the Skeletons. This gives enough the ball enough time to pass, and you can run up to the next corridor where the skeletons pass by without rolling for chip damage through the skeleton ball.

As you enter, slow down. You should see one Skeleton pass by the end and then shortly after the second. You want to only draw one's attention at first glance, so stay back until the first passes and the second is infront of the opening. The second will usually rush you, but tank his hits with the shield then mash him dead when he stops. Then it's just a matter of stepping forward and bashing the second once you see where he is. Sometimes you amy mistime it, and draw both or miss both and have to step out to the next hallway instead of waiting, but no worries. Damage should be minimal if you take any at all from both.

Often if I get both, I can get one swing to hit both skeletons by rushing them to point blank range. And other than their floor tunnel rush attack, they are kinda slow and telegraph most of their attacks by a mile, which don't hit that hard in NG. For the most part I can kill these guys in 1-2 hits. Just one if I backstab or Riposte. If they shield block my attacks will break their guard on the second hit, so I just bash em down through their blocks. Their poise is really low and the Morning Star does a lot of poise damage, or Blessed weapon just trashes them for whatever reason.

Once both are dead and looted, I run back to the bonfire, often having to wait a second for the ball to pass heading towards the wall and slipping in before it bounces and comes back. Then and do it again. Blessed weapon wearing off just as I start rebuffing.

This means 1 run is about 60 seconds, or 30 seconds per kill...Which is about the same as the sunlight farming really. Just much lower souls gained. I have 5 Vertebrae now, started with one and only farmed for about 1.4 hours. So far rate of gain is about the same although it kinda feels a bit slower due to all the extra actions.

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#104
Minor update since I haven't been in the mood for farming the vertebrae much. That, or the sound of the Skeleton ball rolling around is just teethgrindingly obnoxious and I can only take so much of it....

I wasn't timing things too strongly so somewhere between 1.5 and 2 hours more and I am up to 11 Shackles now. Aquire rate is holding steady in that the total number over time is holding to an average, but it's annoying to have long stretches where you don't get one, then get two in a fairly short time span.

I've deduced that the skeleton patrol pattern has an fairly large amount of randomness to it. Not sure if some of that is due to them 'hearing' me as I get close, or just one getting in front of the other and then walking around each other.

The end result is more me not quite able to get into a good grinding pattern due to the randomness as I pause in the cross corridor. Sometimes I will see both skeletons at once, other times the first will go by and back before I see the second. Or both will cross at the same time. I didn't notice this much my first round of farming, but I definately noticed it this time.

In the end though it didn't make that much difference. I just did more tanking and bum rushing the skeletons instead of drawing them out separately. The end result is about the same maybe +/- 10 seconds per run difference unless I end up having to chase the second skeleton down as it does it's full patrol towards the far side of their corridor. I've also been using the weapon art before bum rushing the skeletons to avoid guard break and stuns. Not sure if it's actually helping that much, but it doesn't hurt to pop it off before engaging.

I took a short break here from the grind of the skeleton ball to clean up a few things I missed from the Archives. Killed the outrider knight (easily drawn out and sniped), gathered Greirats ashes, and got the Slab at the bottom of the elevator in front of the archives boss room.

I Went back to farming the skeletons after that, but I am a bit annoyed with the short reach of the Morning Star. I tried a few other weapons, but most of the longer reach strike weapons are super large and thus have a very slow swing. Anyone know of a strike weapon with a faster swing but longer reach or thrusting style attack? Or even a similar short range weapon that can actually hit an enemy on the ground with R1 instead of wiffing? Having to switch to R2 to actually hit is a bit annoying. The miss doesn't seem to be due to recovery iframes, but just the morning star's hit box being just high enough it is missing prone skeletons, as the R2 does hit them...

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#105
FINALLY done with Mound Makers and Vertebrae shackles! This farming alone is enough to make me swear off farming the items on any other character. I don't think I want the rewards *that* bad, to do it again.

Going from 11 to 23 was pretty much inline with the other items, but from 23 to 24 and 24 to 25 was horrendously long due to some really bad luck with the drop rates. Those two shackles probably took as long together as all the rest of the shackles *combined*. 26-28 was a bit long, but only around twice as long (number of runs) as the first 23. I was getting a bit stir crazy from the boulder rumble at that point and ended up swapping the Morning Star out for my Normal +10 Great Scythe (Changed from Raw to Chaos a while ago.) And hunting the Three Shotel Skeletons around the central chamber and upper gallery then clearing out the rest of the Catacombs almost entirely once, just exploring again. I got shackle #27 while doing this before going back to the normal farming. Took a break for a day, come back and get the last two in 10 minutes in the normal area...

Next up is either Dregs or Proof of Concord Kept, first I need to check my setups, to see which would be easier to gear up for at this point. Maybe do Pale Tongues first instead? I have all of Sirris gatherables, so I could offer to Rosario to trigger her kidnapping without missing anything at this point I think.

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#106
Decided to try for the Human Dregs first. Same setup again, although this time I swapped out the Morning Star for a +10 Refined GreatSword and dropped the Blessed Weapon buff.

Farming these from the Aldritch Bonfire, running to the stairs and killing just the three Deacons there then running back. These seems to have the quickest turnaround, keeping the kills per minute fairly high. I run to the door, then slow down to a walk so my stamina regens by the time I get in range of the first thin deacon on the right side above the fatty. One swing kills him, then swap target to the second thin deacon on the left, as by default you automatically target the fatty.

The fatty however, is the most random of the three so taking him out second is a bit inefficient. By swapping to the remaining thin one, then strafing to the left to get to his side, you can try and lure the fatty into moving closer so a single R2 kills the thin deacon and damages the fatty, usually throwing him down so you can follow up with a single swing to finish him off. Sometimes it works and it just takes 3 swings to kill them all. Other time the fatty lunges or doesn't close in and it take 4 swings, one for each thin deacon and two for the fatty.

I only had about an hour left to play when I got my method and movement down, and during that time I got 13 Deacon Robes, 14 Deacon Skirts, 7 Deep Gems and I believe 6 Human Dregs. (Not sure, I forgot to check starting amount it was either 6 or 7, due to previous kills/pickups).

I could probably drop the Replenishment buff and just chug an estus when I reach the door, replacing it with a rusted coin...unfortunately I am missing Patches and probably need to kill another boss to get him back from his search for Greirat or his ashes so I can buy more rusted coins. The mere +50 item discovery isn't a significant boost over what I have now thought so I may just wait until I move to the next item to see if he came back or debate on killing Champion Gundyr or Lothric/Lorian.

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#107
And the Aldritch Faithful are done now. This was the second easiest covenant to farm for. The Watchdogs being the easiest so far. I think from where I left off it took less than three hours total to get the remaining items.

I also got 24 more Deacon Robes, 35 Deacon Skirts and 21 Deep Gems and roughly 1M souls total from all the covenant farming. (Today and Previous)

It helps there are three enemies close together, even if the run to them is slightly long. I was able to two shot all three enemies a fair number of times once I had the rythym down. (Two handing the Greatsword) First skinny guy at the top of the stairs got a R1, then when I circled around the other thin Deacon, charge a heavy R2 and if the fatty lunged or just walked into range the release would kill them both in one swing.

The downside is you need to *wait* until the bodies evaporate into white gas before the little item orbs appear. Run away too soon and you will miss your items!

Also if you linger a bit too long at the bottom/left corner of the stairs the Deacon on the stairs in the main hall will potentially have moved close enough to try and snipe you with some fire blasts. So after killing the ones here, step to the side of the stairs closest to him so the pillars block his view until the items pop up if you get a drop.

Next up, going to offer a tongue to see if the Rosaria kidnapping triggers. Then either farm more tongues or try for the Proofs. Need to do a little reconfiguring and testing to see what would be easier to do with my most recent stats and gear.

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#108
And the Rosario kidnapping quest is done. Sirris has showed up again in Firelink in an aggressive stance, but I think I will try ranking up the Fingers covenant first, getting the items then trying to absolve before talking to her.

I did a little testing at the Farron Keep area where the two Darkwraiths walk up the path and attack the Ghru. Using Great Chaos Fire Orb, a +10 Pyromancy Flame, the Witch Ring and the Fire Clutch Ring I can one shot the Darkwraiths. One hit knocks off a big chunk of their health, the lava pool staggers then and then also does damage when they are standing in it, finishing them off in one casting.

I just cast Bountiful Light then run up to the keep exit, stand a few steps outside and the right most wraith will trigger to attack just as he passes the tree. (Stand too close and he will try to come up the hill before the tree.) Kill him, then if the second hasn't spotted you and started to advance, just head up the path a bit to get him back in range and kill him as he starts to encounter the Ghru.

I also did some testing in Anor Londo against the silver knights. I really hated these things the first time I fought them...but I found a very good setup that lets me absolutely thrash them.

I am using the +10 Refined Greatsword again, but swapping one of my rings out for the Knight Slayers Ring. My Spell selection changed for them as well, using Bountiful Light, Dark Blade and Hidden Weapon.

Using this setup, I can crush the knights in around 3 hits each and get back to the bonfire before the buffs wear out! Dark Blade as a buff works better for me since I have a bit more AR with the +10 GreatSword than I do a +9 Dark Cathedral Knight Greatsword.

After exiting the bonfire I take a few steps closer to the stairs, but not close enough to trigger the knights, then buff up. I walk up the stairs to regen Stamina, and lock on to the first Spear Knight, when he does his spear thrust/rush, you just need to roll past him, then I am able to pretty much 3 shot him before he can recover. If he does manage due to positioning, I am almost always able to still finish him off before he can do more than one minor hit and the second knight arrives.

For the second knight, since I usually finish the first before he gets in range, I can charge up a strong R2 and basically smack his face in when he tries to get all stabby with his much shorter sword. Then just finish up with some R1's, make sure to loot the bodies if I haven't already and then head back to the bonfire.

It seems like the ring+Greatsword does miracles for staggering the knights even if they try blocking. And Hidden weapon seems to help prevent them from turtling up behind their shield, tricking them into starting their swings early so you hit them when they are not actually blocking. Something that *never* seemed to happen before I came upon this setup.

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#109
And for a fast completion, the Fingers are now done. I started with about 7 Tongues, but they were dropping like crazy for awhile there. There were a few times I'd get a tongue from each Darkwraith in the same run. Later I ran into what looked like the start of a dry streak so I took a break. Came back later and while not quite as quick I still got the tongues in fairly short order.

The Darkwraiths also drop all their gear fairly easily, and they all sell for 500 souls each iirc. I forgot to check what the cracked red eye orbs sell for...I have no use for them other than for souls really.

Found out that you can't absolve yourself of having offered tongues to get back in Sirris grace, but I already got everything except using her for a few of the last bosses as a summon. (Not really a big deal to me, since I think for the remaining ones she is available you can summon someone else too.)

All I think I have left now is the Silver Knights in Anor Londo for Concords. These might take a bit, since the drop rate seems to be closer to the other items approx 1% drop rate. I'm not sure if the covenants for the DLC need to be done to get the acheivement. But if so, I will need to do that as well.

Oh, and before I forget. I ran into an odd glitch the other night while farming the dregs off the deacons. At least three times after buffing I would switch my chime for the Shield of Want and Two Hand my Greatsword, and when I did I ended up putting my Greatsword on my back and two handing my shield!

I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but it was very odd to see the first time and just kinda funny when I happened to do it again twice later.

PainAmplifier
1 year ago#110
Ugh. Drop rate of Concords is as bad as I thought. I've only gotten about 8 since I started farming them and out of all the enemies I've had to kill for Covenant Items, these are the most boring. I've even hit the item limit a few times now when farming, due to the shards I am getting. (600 in inventory, 99 carried.)

After a little testing I've dropped the Knight Slayer ring. Whatever effect it gives isn't enough to make a significant difference. The real knockdown/knockback comes from Two Handing the GreatSword. One handing it isn't nearly the same amount of knockdown, much less speed in getting an attack out. So I've swapped it for the Covetous Serpent ring to boost soul gain. May as well get something out of this while I'm still farming it.

Incidentally, if you want to farm Embers, I'd suggest either the Skeletons in the catacombs as they drop them frequently, or the Knight as the Lothric castle bonfire. I'm sitting on about 150 of them right now...and that was after taking a break and killing a couple of bosses.

Yes, I stopped farming so I could buy rusted coins from Patches, just to try and get this to go a smidge faster. Which mean killing a boss. I managed to kill Lothric/Lorian after about 7-8 tries. Tried a couple of different setups, but the one I came back to was the GreatSword with Bountiful sunlight and Lightning Weapon to start with.

I also managed to kill Champion Gundyr, since I figure, why not? after killing the twins. Summoned swordmaster for the fight and basically just pummeled Gundyr while he was focused on Swordmaster. Got him first try, and found the Black Knights beyond the door to be more frustrating that him.

Still, I am up to that final boss and final covenant...barring the Nameless King and the DLC areas/bosses. Going to farm the covenent some more now, maybe the Nameless king if it akes too long even with the coins now that I have some again.
  1. Boards
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Covenant Joining/Reward Guide *Spoilers*