• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dishonored 2
  3. Tried out the trial

User Info: PerrySport

PerrySport
1 year ago#1
And it's surprisingly fun. The problem is that i don't replay games once im done with the inital playthrough and this game's selling point seems to be the replay value. Having acces to only 3 missions i replayed "The good doctor" and had a different experience both times. Created a serum the second time wich forced me to go places i hadn't seen before previously, but like i said i will probably never replay any of the missions once i get my hands on the full game.
So two questions:

1-How long is an initial playthrough? Like how many missions.

2-If i kill people i get a "less optimistic" ending it seems. But i like killing in videogames and have always done it in stealth games (Splinter Cell, MGS, Assassins Creed) so will i get a s*** ending for playing the way i want?

Couple of minor negative issues:

Combat was a bit weird at times. RT after blocking seemed a bit unresponsive.

Very hard to remain in stealth. A bit too hard perhaps. You get spotted very easily. But it's easy enough to take enemies out when you do get spotted.

Runes and Bonecharm hunting. Probably not gonna bother with it too much in the full game. It's like they put them in the s***tiest places possible. "Rune or Bonecharm nearby, equip your heart!" Only to find them behind a blocked door or one floor down with no real way to see how to get there.

But it was good enough.
It is what it is

User Info: Flaw

Flaw
1 year ago#2
I haven't played this one yet, I've got it but only played the first so far. Anyways about the runes and bone charms. In the first game it was the same way. I often choked out or killed everyone(because it is so fun killing them all) so I could explore the whole level. This made it easier to find that key for the locked door to get that bonecharm or rune. It's great when you get the perk to stealth kill and the enemy turns to nothing, leaving no trace for his buddies to see.

PerrySport
1 year ago#3
^ Yeah i actually upgraded that right away. Turns people to ash or something. That and vitality upgrades for better survivabillity.

Also noticed allot of bullets and bolts lying around so it kinda looks like the game can't make up it's mind. On one hand it wants you to take the non lethal aproach (for a better ending) and on the other it wants you to kill everything in lots of cool ways.
It is what it is

User Info: Flaw

Flaw
1 year ago#4
justI often times started the mission trying not to kill anyone, but the situation would get to tense and I'd get seen and have to kill to get them off me. Sometimes I ran out of patience too. So I usually just killed pretty much everyone which was pretty damn fun for me. I think I would get impatient trying to complete a whole level not killing anyone and trying to do it unseen. I'd just play it whatever way is most fun for you.

User Info: Estabon1

Estabon1
1 year ago#5
I haven't finished the trial yet, nor do I have the full game, but I can try to provide some insight.

First, I wouldn't say it's the the game "can't make up it's mind." It's meant to be played however you want to play it, and while I agree that they went WAY overboard on bullets from what I've played, it does provide that freedom. In regards to affecting the ending and game as a whole, I suppose you could call the high chaos route bad, but ultimately it's realistic. Bottom line is, yes, if you kill a s***load of people in the game, the world as a whole will suffer for it. Or I should say, that was certainly the case in the first game.

There are 10 missions total, including the prologue, same as the first game. I'd say an initial run of 1 is 10-12 hours probably, depending on your play style, so I'd imagine it would be similar. Howlongtobeat says 12 hours for both games.

As for the stealth, I don't know how much you are into achievements, but check out the custom difficulty options. I don't know what - if any - affect it has on achievements, but there are a lot of options to tailor the game to how you'd like to play.

Lastly, on the runes and bonecharms, they're entirely optional, but I like hunting them all down.

I will tell you this: Dishonored 1 is an absolutely phenomenal game, and from what I can gather, 2 is just as good if not better. A part of the reason they are so good, however, is indeed how many options are available. Much like the Hitman games, these games are designed to be replayable, and that is where a lot of the draw comes from. If that's not to your liking, you may want to avoid buying the whole game.

I know I haven't played it, but I hope this helps man!
I wanna put on my Reeboks, and get on top of his esophagus,
and watch the apocalypse drop him in necropolis ^S^

PerrySport
1 year ago#6
^Thanks. I'll probably get it somewhere down the line for a single playthrough then. Not that much into replaying games, achievements or to 100% them. If a single playthrough is like 10-12 hours and Runes aren't a neccesity then that's good enough for me. Also the ending being a bit "less optimistic" is fine by me. Just like to kill enemies instead of knocking them out.

Thanks for the info!
It is what it is
  1. Boards
  2. Dishonored 2
  3. Tried out the trial
  • Topic Archived