• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. Why does this game feel like it drags?

User Info: vanishingwings

vanishingwings
5 months ago#1
I have tried to play through this game three times and was only able to make it up to that part where Sorey learns Rose's real identity before having to put it down. I recently decided to pick up the anime and it's so much more enjoyable to me personally. Which leads me to think, is it the gameplay that makes the game feel like it drags?

I love the characters and the plot, but it feels like I'm walking through sludge whenever I'm playing it. For some reason, I thought this was longer (main story wise) than Berseria but recently learned this game was shorter and was shocked because I had no problem playing through and beating Berseria for a first playthrough.

I really want to play through this game, but I'm trying to find where my problem is with it. Should I just give up? Is there a solution to make the gameplay more enjoyable? Or is the "drag feeling" even a problem with gameplay?
here to enjoy discussing games ~

User Info: Hommedaction

Hommedaction
5 months ago#2
If I had to explain why is that it's because of how the game is structured. Areas are less linear and there are a lot of things that can sidetrack you like sidequests and NPC to talk to if you're like me.
Managing your gear can take a while.

Also the story, especially early on, doesn't really have a focus, it's pretty much Sorey going on an adventure, doing stuff he feels like doing and helping people along the way.
Yes, Lailah tells you soon after you meet her that you will have to beat the Lord of Calamity at some point, but it's not really a goal before the later parts of the story.

Meanwhile, in Berseria, the goal is stated from the start and everything the characters do helps them going towards that goal.

As for the gameplay, it's also structured differently.
I'd say Zestiria asks you to pay more attention to what you're doing and what enemies are doing. You can't just zone out and spam break souls to victory.
Weakness coverage is also quite poor as you're supposed to swap between characters to counter what you're facing. If you refuse to adapt, you can end up hitting for half damage with double the cost.
Once you get the rythm of combat down and learn the characters it gets quite fun. Or at least I'm having a lot of fun replaying through it at the moment.
I love the French for their sarcasm, their irony. I love them for their bad moods. -Marjane Satrapi

User Info: Outlivethem

Outlivethem
5 months ago#3
I'd say Zestiria asks you to pay more attention to what you're doing and what enemies are doing. You can't just zone out and spam break souls to victory.

If on paper this is probably true because of the rock paper scissors system, in practice I have a very different impression. I am replaying the game currently, and as soon as you unlock a second armatus random encounters are a cakewalk. Yes, armatus is that broken, and it's even worse when you're aware of some easily attainable equipment bonuses.

Spellcasters are supposed to be a counter, but as soon as you get middle tier spells and ways to cast fast that's over. You can spam spells with little to no retaliation and overwhelm the enemies.

Zestiria requires you to be more careful for bosses that are tougher than in Berseria. Random encounters that form most of the battles of the game require arguably less attention.

Which leads me to think, is it the gameplay that makes the game feel like it drags?

It's possible.

For instance Zestiria has that feature that increases your walking speed after a battle or when you talk to a NPC (you may not have unlocked that yet). There's also the gear system that can be quite grindy. And lastly areas are way too vast for their own good. The game feels unfocused scenario wise and wants you to explore the world, which you can't do properly early game because you do not possess some key skills yet.

Early game can feel like there's a lot of useless backtracking and little progression. Meanwhile Berseria felt fast tracked at first (until mid game at least) and had little to explore.

Oh and Berseria was at 60 fps, while Zestiria ran at 30 iirc. If your have sensitive eyes or are used to modern gaming standards this may also explain your feeling.

I love the characters and the plot, but it feels like I'm walking through sludge whenever I'm playing it.

While it's true that areas are bigger, your on field character is also faster than in Berseria. Walking in Berseria felt slow to me, and it's only recently, after a lot of Genshin Impact, that it started to feel better.

If you like the characters and plot I suggest you continue to play the game with some sort of role playing mindset. Eventually you'll get used to its pacing and will unlock stuff to make exploration more enjoyable. You could also entirely ignore this aspect of the game and try to complete it as fast as possible, but it's probably not intended to be played this way.

On another note, don't forget that you have options to teleport from save points to save points. You may have to pay a % of your money for it, but there's nothing more precious than your time.

The anime sure was beautiful, but I personally had trouble with its pacing. The game just felt like a more complete and diverse experience despite its shortcomings. In my opinion, the plot and to some extent the characters have played a big role in my poor appreciation of Zestiria. And that's not something the anime fixes.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. Why does this game feel like it drags?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A