• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. Do I have to finish this piece of s*** to understand Berseria?

User Info: Koro-Pok-Guru

Koro-Pok-Guru
3 months ago#11
fanfiction

Yeah, like the Da Vinci Code. But you said it, that's basically a huge fanfic, and even for the sake of argument I wouldn't talk about it (especially when we criticized fujoshis 2 posts ago x))

Lloyd getting a luscious babe like Sheena is justice

I personally have trouble with the way Symphonia handled romance (basically in a galge style).
It creates some inconsistencies, some choices are rather cringe (really, Presea and Raine? Come on...) and I heavily dislike Lloyd so he doesn't deserve Sheena in my book. Worst, Zelos has good chemistry with her (even if it's just a less good Loni X Nanaly type of relationship imo), so I always felt it was weird to have that choice even if it can make sense and is decently supported by the game compared to other options.

I have similar complaints about Hearts, but this time it's more because I'm sick of Shing's archetype (aka the dumb countryman that fall in love with a girl he just met).
+ The game is so heavily tied to feelings that it quickly gets stupid tbh, this entire universe is poorly written imho (and it's the same guy, Yamamoto, who wrote the Zestiverse, with stuff like malevolence, that are cheap plot device to create drama).

Some other games probably nailed affinity system better (even if it leads to some weird meme about afinity potions) and others nailed romance better. For instance, I like how Kyle ends up realizing he doesn't need to be a hero, he's fine just being "her hero", that was actually cute (and Loni X Nanaly works well too in that game).
Eternia is another case where romance actually brings more to the characters, sadly the suppressed skits in the localized version, so you get less Keele X Meredy moments. As for Reid X Farah, most of it happen too late in the game and in the drama CD "Forget me not" that takes place after the end of the game.

Anyway, inconsistent in the word. And I don't think later games in the series used romance correctly.

Everybody goes through puberty though.

Let's say he's slow in that department. The end of the game was kinda satisfying because he finally man up. And while I didn't enjoy everything about the final confrontation, it is memorable and felt "right". Too bad it takes the whole game to get there tho.
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shinyuki
Tales of Innocence R help & tips topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643157-tales-of-innocence-r/77149633

User Info: MeteoraXV

MeteoraXV
3 months ago#12
i can understand your dislike of sorey and no romance in this game, it's the complete for me personally that's part of why i love this game

and that's why i had to drop sword art online hollow fragment because as good as the actual game itself was, i couldn't stand the SOA part of it - mary sue MC and extremely annoying harem crap

i dropped that game so fast and never looked back at that series again

User Info: Finis-XII

Finis-XII
3 months ago#13
MeteoraXV posted...
i can understand your dislike of sorey and no romance in this game, it's the complete for me personally that's part of why i love this game

and that's why i had to drop sword art online hollow fragment because as good as the actual game itself was, i couldn't stand the SOA part of it - mary sue MC and extremely annoying harem crap

i dropped that game so fast and never looked back at that series again

The waifu romancing thing in Hollow Fragment itself isn't the problem, it's the poor execution of it and that the source material itself is garbage. Aside from that, it's an okay game and the bad writing wasn't enough for me to quit the game entirely. I could just skip through the scenes. Zestiria's gameplay doesn't justify me playing it any further.

I'm not saying a Tales Of game HAS to have blatant romance or a waifu choosing feature for me to like it. I'd at least like some implications, or a good enough story/characters to keep me interested. Vesperia only implies something with Yuri and Estelle, and aside from some humorous moments and flirting Berseria is almost totally devoid of romance between anyone in the party. And I consider those two of the best games in the whole series.
"This close, I can hear your heart beating. Thump, thump...that's how you sound... <3" - Chie
https://m.imgur.com/gfiAZKK

User Info: MeteoraXV

MeteoraXV
3 months ago#14
i mean *"complete opposite for me"

and *"SAO" not SOA

i type too fast and like an idiot half of the time lol

anyway this is one of those games where i cant really understand why it gets dumped on so hard, yeah some may not like sorey (i do) and they may think the story is rather weak (i can see that) but there's this sentiment as if it's one of the worst games ever or something, but that aside i can totally respect if some may not like it

User Info: Guru_Clef

Guru_Clef
1 month ago#15
Finis-XII posted...
Koro-Pok-Guru posted...
Lord, this situation sounds so dumb...

Anyway, you don't have to play Zestiria to understand Berseria. Some elements of the lore will have less impact, but it's not important enough to force you to play through something you seem to despise so much.

For the rest, I honestly didn't understand where you were in the story or what you actually disliked about the game. It's not really important but we're here to talk after all... And I have a feeling this discussion might be useful to you.

I'm at the part of the story where you meet the talking dog. Like, how much longer until it's over?

And the main reason for my disdain of this game is......Sorey. He's an awful protagonist and completely unrelatable on every level. Like 90% of this game's enjoyability is sucked out because I have to follow the story of this bad japanese cliché masquerading as a Tales Of protagonist. I'd throw in that Alisha's lack of a presence is bafflingly dumb, the gameplay is a tedious slog and the music is bland and generic as it gets, but it's really Sorey and his "I'm oblivious to the attractive women I'm surrounded by that like me" bulls*** that breaks the game for me.

Like I said I'm only playing this because I don't wanna be left outta the loop. If it only shares a vague lore connection to Berseria then I have to wonder why they even bothered connecting the two games at all, especially with Namco and the devs apparently being aware of what a disaster this game was for the fans.

Lmao. This is golden. If he was aware what is he supposed to do about it? Hit on them? Hahaha. Wtf is wrong with people? He’s not interested, that doesn’t make for a bad protagonist. He has bigger fish to fry.

User Info: Vhanzy

Vhanzy
1 month ago#16
Sorey's self awareness is enough for me to like him as a mc and his obliviousness towards romance is self explanatory.

User Info: Finis-XII

Finis-XII
1 month ago#17
Yeah, sure, whatever, that's nice and all, but I made this topic 2 months ago, I stand by every opinion I've expressed here and I don't really care.
"This close, I can hear your heart beating. Thump, thump...that's how you sound... <3" - Chie
https://m.imgur.com/gfiAZKK
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. Do I have to finish this piece of s*** to understand Berseria?
  • Topic Closed