• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. Do I have to finish this piece of s*** to understand Berseria?

User Info: Finis-XII

Finis-XII
3 months ago#1
Okay, so I know this game is tied to the same continuity as Berseria and I've heard from many in the fandom that it's much better than this game. The thing is I played this purely for context to set me up for the better game, and so far I've made it to the point where Sorey is in that ruins where he has to step on the floor buttons to open up that door.

My question is, do I have to continue playing this s*** any further? Can I just move on to Berseria or do need to keep playing to understand the lore/story of Berseria? How much longer is this til' it's over? This is honestly the worst Tales Of game I've ever played and I don't want to play another second of it if I don't have to.
"This close, I can hear your heart beating. Thump, thump...that's how you sound... <3" - Chie
https://m.imgur.com/gfiAZKK
(edited 3 months ago)

Finis-XII
3 months ago#2
bump.
"This close, I can hear your heart beating. Thump, thump...that's how you sound... <3" - Chie

User Info: Koro-Pok-Guru

Koro-Pok-Guru
3 months ago#3
Lord, this situation sounds so dumb...

Anyway, you don't have to play Zestiria to understand Berseria. Some elements of the lore will have less impact, but it's not important enough to force you to play through something you seem to despise so much.

For the rest, I honestly didn't understand where you were in the story or what you actually disliked about the game. It's not really important but we're here to talk after all... And I have a feeling this discussion might be useful to you.
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shinyuki
Tales of Innocence R help & tips topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643157-tales-of-innocence-r/77149633

Finis-XII
3 months ago#4
Koro-Pok-Guru posted...
Lord, this situation sounds so dumb...

Anyway, you don't have to play Zestiria to understand Berseria. Some elements of the lore will have less impact, but it's not important enough to force you to play through something you seem to despise so much.

For the rest, I honestly didn't understand where you were in the story or what you actually disliked about the game. It's not really important but we're here to talk after all... And I have a feeling this discussion might be useful to you.

I'm at the part of the story where you meet the talking dog. Like, how much longer until it's over?

And the main reason for my disdain of this game is......Sorey. He's an awful protagonist and completely unrelatable on every level. Like 90% of this game's enjoyability is sucked out because I have to follow the story of this bad japanese cliché masquerading as a Tales Of protagonist. I'd throw in that Alisha's lack of a presence is bafflingly dumb, the gameplay is a tedious slog and the music is bland and generic as it gets, but it's really Sorey and his "I'm oblivious to the attractive women I'm surrounded by that like me" bulls*** that breaks the game for me.

Like I said I'm only playing this because I don't wanna be left outta the loop. If it only shares a vague lore connection to Berseria then I have to wonder why they even bothered connecting the two games at all, especially with Namco and the devs apparently being aware of what a disaster this game was for the fans.
(edited 3 months ago)

Koro-Pok-Guru
3 months ago#5
I'm at the part of the story where you meet the talking dog.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about x)
But it's been a while I've played so...

Alisha's lack of a presence is bafflingly dumb

Not really a problem imo, since she's only a temporary character. You'll get someone else later that fits the heroine bill better. She's a rather bland character, and the princess trope is rather common. Tbf, she's basically a female Sorey. So while they have good chemistry, I'm glad the game got "spicier" characters.

but it's really Sorey and his "I'm oblivious to the attractive women I'm surrounded by that like me" bulls*** that breaks the game for me.

Attractive women?
So you have a problem with the lack of romance or teasing related to romance?

Tbh, I would have been even more irritated with some s***ty harem take that is even more japanese & annoying than the "oblivious" MC. Oddly enough, Berseria should be satisfying enough in this area (which is, once again, not a quality imo).

Tbf tho, you'll end up having your sexual innuendoes later in the game once a certain someone joins. I don't think it makes much sense or is funny tho, but I'm not a fan of that trope/kind of interaction anyway.

the gameplay is a tedious slog

What do you dislike precisely?
Zestiria & Berseria are rather close gameplay wise. While the second one is more polished, those games still have a lot in common.

the music is bland and generic as it gets

Well, music is certainly not better in Berseria since Sakuraba is alone.
In Zestiria you have Go Shiina (Legendia, Ace Combat, Tekken etc...) who did something like a quarter of the OST. It honestly has some of the best OST of the series, but apparently you didn't get to that point yet.

https://youtu.be/BcCmMn1zVvk
https://youtu.be/tz04ARACDTk
https://youtu.be/NC3MJe_o2pg
https://youtu.be/ZmHrdClnKtU
https://youtu.be/3OmEIxVY2bU
https://youtu.be/3qSoLwky5Gw

If it only shares a vague lore connection to Berseria then I have to wonder why they even bothered connecting the two games at all, especially with Namco and the devs apparently being aware of what a disaster this game was for the fans.

:meh:
The game is polarizing, but it gets a lot of love for some reasons even I can hardly explain x)
Basically Sorey & Mikleo rank pretty high in popularity polls. And while I can understand that for Sorey (since I think he's cool in the final moments of the game), I really don't get it for Mikleo.
One could say that fujoshi enjoyed the kind of bromance the game had, but even that doesn't fully explain their popularity.

As for why those games are linked...
Well, you need to understand that the development of Berseria started before Zestiria's release. They won't entirely cancel a project because the first game got criticized (especially when the biggest criticisms are a performance issue and a "waifu gate").

I'm actually glad they didn't cancel it, since Berseria was enjoyable. The game makes the Zestiverse clearer, it offers more value when you already played Zestiria and has fixed most of its issues gameplay wise (like the camera or the fluidity of the game).

Another thing to consider is how they struggled with budget. It's actually ok to reuse assets to make a prequel/sequel like Berseria or Xillia 2. Sure it's lazy, but it's better than having an unrelated game looking just like the previous ones for no reasons.
So financially, their decision also made sense. And we're now getting Arise that is a decent step forward in term of visuals, which is not something people can complain about after almost 2 gens stuck with Xillia-like graphisms.
Tales of Innocence R help & tips topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643157-tales-of-innocence-r/77149633

Finis-XII
3 months ago#6
Koro-Pok-Guru posted...
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about x)
But it's been a while I've played so...

The dog seraph? The one you meet shortly after Rose joins the party? How do you not remember something so distinctive and easy to remember?

Speaks volumes about the story if you can't even remember that.

Not really a problem imo, since she's only a temporary character.

That she is a temporary character IS the problem. When you present someone as a heroine character and they have almost no involvement in the story or the party then I'd say the complaints are absolutely reasonable.

Attractive women?
So you have a problem with the lack of romance or teasing related to romance?

That about sums it up, sure.

Tbh, I would have been even more irritated with some s***ty harem take that is even more japanese & annoying than the "oblivious" MC.

Well you're certainly entitled to that opinion, I guess. Give me a harem with quality waifus any day over playing as some asexual nerd cuck.

What do you dislike precisely?

The equipment upgrading and artes are the two biggest things at the top of my head.

Zestiria is just one of those JRPGs made with the mindset that throwing a barrage of tedious gimmicks in every facet of the gameplay makes for a "deep" or complex game experience. You know it's bad when the game has to squeeze in a tutorial blurb after every battle and put monoliths everywhere to constantly remind you how every little thing in the game works.

At some point I just gave up and used the DLC "cheat" items so I won't have to worry about any of that, so for me the gameplay issues are really besides the point.

Zestiria & Berseria are rather close gameplay wise.

Except apparently they must not be, as among the biggest complaints about Zestiria are specifically the gameplay being a chore. Nobody says this about Berseria.

The music isn't really that big of an issue for me. I don't think it's horrible or anything, I just don't think it's that memorable and it doesn't leave much of an impression on me at all.

One could say that fujoshi

Why am I not surprised. Fujos***s ruin everything they get their hands on.

Can't wait to finally start Berseria.
(edited 3 months ago)

Koro-Pok-Guru
3 months ago#7
How do you not remember something so distinctive and easy to remember?

This is SO unimportant and forgettable actually x))
I remember the cat seraph more (but that's because it appears in Berseria too).
Edit: Now that I think about it, I also remember the dog seeing Lunarre at the begining of the game more too, because it can die if you get there too late iirc x))

When you present someone as a heroine character and they have almost no involvement in the story or the party then I'd say the complaints are absolutely reasonable.

Complaints are mostly linked to people pre-ordering a figurine of the character before even playing the game. So while the whole Alisha gate was a mistake in Bamco's communication, and a dick move (putting her in a 1300yens DLC), dumb people buying stuff related to a game they haven't played yet had it coming too.

Tbh, the Alisha gate barely concerns the west, because at the time we were able to play the game, we already knew about Alisha being a temporary character and they teased things better for us. There's no need to mimick Japan or to give this affair more importance that it actually had. People should be smarter than that.

On an additionnal note, Japan also only got the PS3 version of the game at first, which was even more unpolished than what we got.

Give me a harem any day over playing as some asexual nerd cuck.

I mean... You have ton of shounen manga/anime full of that kind of stuff. Tales trying to go in a slightly more mature direction is not a bad thing at all.
Sure, Sorey being basically what japanese girls would call an "herbivore" may not be "sexy", but it's not toxic either.

Anyway, if you play long enough, you might just be fine about how relationships evolve in the game (I doubt it, but who knows).

The equipment upgrading and artes are the two biggest things at the top of my head.

The equipment system is less convoluted in Berseria. You have a lot of drops that can be tedious to manage, but it's more straightforward.

Not sure what you didn't like about the Artes, but Berseria also uses an Arte Tree.

You know it's bad when the game has to squeeze in a tutorial blurb after every battle and put monoliths everywhere to constantly remind you how every little thing in the game works.

What was wrong with Monoliths is how they gave some important info way too late in the game. Giving gameplay advice in a menu or after battle isn't a bad thing at all imo. And that's what a lot of RPGs actually do since they often have a ton of mechanisms. It's better than having a ton of hidden parameters that are never explained.

The skit tuto for synthesis were also a mistake, since you could only rewatch them in the Katz Corner (available late game).

Nobody says this about Berseria.

Because Berseria is one of the easiest game in the series. Even if some aspects of the gameplay are complex, you don't need to care about them as long as you're not playing in Intense/Chaos.

Berseria also has no stability issues, clipping or camera issues. The game is more beginner friendly and more balanced.

it doesn't leave much of an impression on me at all.

A shame. But you haven't reached the temples yet, so I guess that's normal.
(edited 3 months ago)

Finis-XII
3 months ago#8
Koro-Pok-Guru posted...
Tales trying to go in a slightly more mature direction is not a bad thing at all actually.

Mature? What do you mean by "mature"? Maturity isn't an issue. Giving fuel to yaoi crap isn't any more or less mature than having a romance sub-plot between the protagonist and one or more love interests. People like protagonists they can relate to, and making Sorey into some asexual monk with no girlfriend makes him seem less human and makes him far less interesting or relatable to me than he should've been.

Sure, Sorey being basically what japanese girls would call an "herbivore" may not be "sexy", but it's not toxic either.

No it isn't sexy, but toxic isn't the word I'd use for it either. More of a waste than anything else. Regardless, it's bad enough to take me out of the game almost entirely.

Anyway, if you play long enough, you might just be fine about how relationships evolve in the game (I doubt it, but who knows).

Maybe. But probably not.

The equipment system is less convoluted in Berseria. You have a lot of drops that can be tedious to manage, but it's more straightforward.

Berseria also has no stability issues, clipping or camera issues. The game is more beginner friendly and more balanced.

Well that all sounds good to me.

Koro-Pok-Guru
3 months ago#9
Fujoshi can make yaoi out of office supplies if they feel like it. Before playing the game, I expected something massive in that regard... But no, Sorey and Mikleo are just bland and they do fist bumps from time to time...
Outside of the usual bath scene and the anime, there's no real fanservice. So I don't consider that they fueled anything in that case.

Don't get me wrong, I also think the game has a lot of missed potential, but in this case, I don't mind it. First because Tales has never been very good when it comes to romance, and if romance doesn't bring anything to the table, I don't need it. Second because of the themes of the game, while I have mixed feelings about it, Sorey is supposed to be a sort of prophet, you wouldn't imagine let's say, Jesus, blushing and fantasizing about his female companions, right? Third, because romance would not feel natural. Sorey has never been around other humans before, let the kid have friends and establish decent relationships with other people before thinking about romance.
+ While I enjoyed some of the Sorey X Alisha skits around Ladylake, I'm sure I wouldnt bear that for an entire game.

I think the game has enough funny moments in it, and as I said earlier, the last character joining the group should is kind of a playboy (which sounds terribly dumb actually, but... if you don't think too hard about it, I guess it's fun if you like that kind of humour). So you might prefer that one and what they brings to the group.

Speaks volumes about the story if you can't even remember that.

Totally forgot to answer to that, sorry!

I'd say you've played 35% of the game. Oddly enough, while you just finished the first part of the game (there's 4 in total), it's one of the longest and a lot of characters are introduced to you.
Part 2 & 3 are rather short, you'll also have some freedom to visit the temples, which is cool.
Part 4 is probably the best, but there's a kind of wall that requires you to do some optionnal content to progress in the story. This annoys a LOT of people, because it forces you to backtrack here and there to get key items if you don't have them already... The game really peaks after that, but it's often annoying to get there.

Finis-XII
3 months ago#10
Koro-Pok-Guru posted...
Fujoshi can make yaoi out of office supplies if they feel like it. Before playing the game, I expected something massive in that regard... But no, Sorey and Mikleo are just bland and they do fist bumps from time to time...
Outside of the usual bath scene and the anime, there's no real fanservice. So I don't consider that they fueled anything in that case.

Don't get me wrong, I also think the game has a lot of missed potential, but in this case, I don't mind it. First because Tales has never been very good when it comes to romance, and if romance doesn't bring anything to the table, I don't need it. Second because of the themes of the game, while I have mixed feelings about it, Sorey is supposed to be a sort of prophet, you wouldn't imagine let's say, Jesus, blushing and fantasizing about his female companions, right?

Actually there's a lotta debate about some biblical (arguably) fanfiction of Jesus having a thing for Mary Magdalene, ya' know. He may have been the son of god to some but even then he was still human who felt things like anyone else. Just a fun factoid I'd like to put out there.

And I wouldn't say the Tales series is totally bad at romance. Just inconsistent. Luke and Tear are both insufferably perfect for eachother and Lloyd getting a luscious babe like Sheena is justice. We need more of that in the Tales Of series, not less.

Sorey has never been around other humans before, let the kid have friends and establish decent relationships with other people before thinking about romance.

Fine, fair enough. Everybody goes through puberty though. Just saying.

+ While I enjoyed some of the Sorey X Alisha skits around Ladylake, I'm sure I wouldnt bear that for an entire game.

I think the game has enough funny moments in it, and as I said earlier, the last character joining the group should is kind of a playboy (which sounds terribly dumb actually, but... if you don't think too hard about it, I guess it's fun if you like that kind of humour). So you might prefer that one and what they brings to the group.

I'll look forward to it when it happens.

Totally forgot to answer to that, sorry!

I'd say you've played 35% of the game. Oddly enough, while you just finished the first part of the game (there's 4 in total), it's one of the longest and a lot of characters are introduced to you.
Part 2 & 3 are rather short, you'll also have some freedom to visit the temples, which is cool.
Part 4 is probably the best, but there's a kind of wall that requires you to do some optionnal content to progress in the story. This annoys a LOT of people, because it forces you to backtrack here and there to get key items if you don't have them already... The game really peaks after that, but it's often annoying to get there.

Ugh.........alright.
(edited 3 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. Do I have to finish this piece of s*** to understand Berseria?
  • Topic Closed