• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. just finished this game

User Info: MeteoraXV

MeteoraXV
5 months ago#1
just got the plat

it was amazing, played it on saturdays

i played it on PS3, and honestly i have to say the graphics are incredibly bad but the game is playable

other than that, love it, it has some esoteric systems and mechanics and i found the challenge level a little over the top sometimes on the higher difficulties but that was my stupid fault instead of dynamically switching the difficulty when i needed to, i just played everything on Hard/Intense/Chaos for the challenge even though i was way too underpowered and didnt understand the skill system fully yet

i've tried for the past few months while playing this game, to understand why it gets so much hate, and i just dont get it. i've tried reading people arguments and they just dont click, i just havent really read any good ones

again the only real complaint i have is the terrible graphics, they're incredibly low res for a mid 2010's PS3 game and supposedly the third biggest RPG series in japan or whatever. i just happened to have it lying around anyway

will definitely get the PS4 version and the alisha dlc and stuff and im gonna watch the anime even though i barely ever watch anime, that reminds me i need to check out the latest jojo eps

oh yeah the soundtrack is a-mazing, definitely love the main theme and its different variations (in the beginning hunting boars with alishia, the main battle theme, ending theme...), it really evokes the sense of setting out on a major adventure especially in Elysia with the green fields and deep blue skies (the skies in this game are beautiful), and of course the shrine themes are top notch especially the fire and water ones, and a bunch of other battle themes and of course katz korner's theme LOL

i love the bigger fields and this aspect was really something that pleased me after the horrible corridors fields of xillia. though most of the dungeons in zestiria are still simplistic and corridor-style...and the extra dungeon was a drag, i got tired of the encounters (played this game for 110hrs) so i set the difficulty to Simple and used a Holy Bottle and just fought the bosses...again beautiful skies but the running around on long copy pasted linear paths itself was a drag and was obviously padding, and reminded me badly of xillia

this game is easily a top 3 tales game for me personally
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: MeteoraXV

MeteoraXV
5 months ago#2
oh i forgot to write, the character designs are easily my fav of the tales games ive played so far and my one of my favs in jrpgs overall

amazing costume and accessory designs especially, simple yet powerful,i love the color schemes used, man every character looks so cool, in particular sorey's outfit looks wicked

i saw in the post game dungeon these two characters which im guessing are from older tales games, WOW their designs are terrible, especially the little girl's costume looks so thrown together from some pile of leftover crap ideas, and what the F was that hair? horrible design and it really contrasts with the amazing designs in this game
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: Koro-Pok-Guru

Koro-Pok-Guru
5 months ago#3
The game gets a lot of hate because it's mediocre, full of half assed features, and because it took a fairly long time to deliver this game with so few changes in some departments (graphics and performances notably)

You played on PS3, so on top of being ugly, the game probably had :meh: framerate and even more camera issues. Basically, Zestiria is full of stuff nobody asked for and are poorly implemented. And while it's still enjoyable to some extent, almost every good point you can find about the game is overshadowed by a flaw.

Don't get me wrong, some complaints are stupid (the whole Alisha gate for instance, western players don't have to be pissed about that even if cutting her from the game for :meh: reasons and putting her in a paid DLC was a dick move). Some are totally legit. Now if you liked the characters, story & gameplay and didn't feel it had major problems, good for you. I don't see why someone should go out of their way to s*** on something you enjoyed.

the soundtrack is a-mazing

It is. Most people will agree on that at least. Go Shiina is amazing, and Sakuraba need to be paired with someone to deliver something decent for the Tales Series these days.

(the skies in this game are beautiful)

You'll like the anime if that's something you care about. Ufotable does a great job on landscape and how the sky look. The rest is imo terrible despite few nice sakuga scenes tho.

Level design

:meh:
Vast open space where you need to walk for long period with little to no interactions and a s***ty world map aren't something I appreciate. Sure, after Xillia it feels nice to have something somehow more open, but Xillia is a pretty low standard in a lot of areas tbh.

EX Dungeon

Well... The DLC Final Dungeon is 10 times worst tbh... Brace yourself :x
And you can't see the sky in that one... At least Zestiria's Hexen Island Calixes are rather short.

this game is easily a top 3 tales game for me personally

I mean...
Did you play more than 3 Tales games? x)

amazing costume and accessory designs especially, simple yet powerful,i love the color schemes used, man every character looks so cool, in particular sorey's outfit looks wicked

Sorey's outfit is as Vanilla as it can get tho... I like the feather tho
The cape looks like the Oracle Knights capes from Abyss: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/aselia/images/7/7f/Anise_Tatlin.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070816111104

Zestiria has 4 character designers, some people don't really like that and prefered the times when one sigle designer was in charge of a whole cast. I'm personally fine with it. With technology, you can do more detailed outfits and designs that people will be able to see in games. Some stuff actually look nice (like Lailah or Edna's costumes). Some other stuff are rather bland imo (Rose, Sorey) or I simply don't like them (Dezel, Mikleo).

WOW their designs are terrible, especially the little girl's costume looks so thrown together from some pile of leftover crap ideas, and what the F was that hair? horrible design and it really contrasts with the amazing designs in this game

Different times, different inspirations, different needs.
Sophie looks cute imo, it's not her original outfit tho (which looks worse imo: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/aselia/images/6/6d/Sophie.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090626163307 ), but her F Arc Outfit. The design is actually coherent in term of color scheme tho. To understand and warm up to some chara design, you simply need to play those games. I had the very same feeling when I started to play the series, and could barely understand the appeal of cameo references.

+ Pigtails are fine.
+ They're so much better characters x)
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shinyuki
Tales of Innocence R help & tips topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643157-tales-of-innocence-r/77149633

User Info: RagesEntity

RagesEntity
5 months ago#4
I love Zestiria as well. I don't mind the lack of tension in the story as it's more a journey about acquiring the ability to follow through with your own answer.

Oddly enough despite Berseria being more fleshed out I like Zestiria better overall. Could be just because I like all of the characters. Sorey and Mikleo are decent. Lailah is cute. Edna is actually funny. Rose has her charm and Zaveid is top notch husbando. Dezel / Alisha I put in the just decent category as well.

The character interaction in other Tales games I find to be a bit below this one overall. There's parts I like from all their games but I found Zestiria just very charming and the music was great the entire way through which also helps.

The music was amazing and the skits were fun the entire way through since you acquire Edna so early. Glad you liked it.

I tried replaying Abyss / Symphonia recently and rate Zestiria higher than them. They have a more 'complete' feel to their stories definitely since Berseria does so much to boost Zestiria's lore. But taking into account Berseria's lore I just love this game. Just finished my NG+ playthrough and enjoyed every minute again.

I NG+'d most Tales games I played except Berseria / Abyss.

User Info: Number090684

Number090684
5 months ago#5
RagesEntity posted...
I love Zestiria as well. I don't mind the lack of tension in the story as it's more a journey about acquiring the ability to follow through with your own answer.

Oddly enough despite Berseria being more fleshed out I like Zestiria better overall. Could be just because I like all of the characters. Sorey and Mikleo are decent. Lailah is cute. Edna is actually funny. Rose has her charm and Zaveid is top notch husbando. Dezel / Alisha I put in the just decent category as well.

The character interaction in other Tales games I find to be a bit below this one overall. There's parts I like from all their games but I found Zestiria just very charming and the music was great the entire way through which also helps.

The music was amazing and the skits were fun the entire way through since you acquire Edna so early. Glad you liked it.

I tried replaying Abyss / Symphonia recently and rate Zestiria higher than them. They have a more 'complete' feel to their stories definitely since Berseria does so much to boost Zestiria's lore. But taking into account Berseria's lore I just love this game. Just finished my NG+ playthrough and enjoyed every minute again.

I NG+'d most Tales games I played except Berseria / Abyss.

Agreed. While not my favorite, I love Zestiria a lot as well compared to Berseria and a lot of other Tales games, despite it's various shortcomings I like it more than most Tales, based on the cast, their interactions, music and cinematics alone. Vesperia is my favorite and easily the better of two for the most part.
US N Switch "Number" FC SW-3804-3177-9797
US PS3 / PS4 / PS Vita PSN: Number090684

User Info: Vhanzy

Vhanzy
5 months ago#6
Someone finally gets what the story is about although not flesh out themes in zestira are interesting.

They show you the good and the bad, no right or wrong answer because in the end its up to you how you push forward in your own reality.

This is the reason why I like sorey as mc and as a character because how he fits with the themes and message of the game

User Info: Taaron

Taaron
4 months ago#7
Quite frankly, I hated this game. It was the thing the got me to stop buying and playing new Tales of games. Well from Xilia > Xilia 2 > Zestiria I have been getting a decline in enjoyment from these games with Zestiria being a MAJOR jump in disappointment.

In general I feel the biggest disappointment for me here was the characters and overall story, just didnt like it. Gameplay... been a while so I dont clearly remember this but wasn't too great either from what I can vaguely remember.

MeteoraXV posted...
the soundtrack is a-mazing

One of the things I liked about the game is the music. Especially the opening theme song, I feel that was the best part of the game... too bad we only got the instrumental so another strike against the localized game.

Honestly only reason I am back on these boards is my wife is looking for games to play and is showing a interest in the Tales of franchise. She might like the characters here but then again they are super dull at times so maybe not.
Gun Gun Leon Gunleon, Gun Gun Leon Gunleon,
Gun Gun Leon Gunleon, Gun Gun Leon Gun Land Crasher
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. just finished this game
  • Post New Message