• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. Big bad's goal *MAJOR SPOILERS*

User Info: misterroboto1

misterroboto1
5 months ago#1
I have a small question about the story. I have a hard time figuring out what was Heldalf's motivation, especially as it concerns Sorey and co. Why did he mess with Sorey and co.'s heads (through Symonne) and why did he try to turn Sorey to the dark side? He's extremely strong and immortal due to being tethered to Maotelus, so why would he need any help? I get that his goal is to unleash everyone's malevolence (a goal that is somewhat similar to ToB's Velvet). How is that served by getting one measly Shephard on his side? Couldn't he just crush everyone in the gang BEFORE they got strong enough to take him on?

Also: Why did Heldalf want or need to go to Artorius' Throne at the end of the game? Wasn't he tethered to Maotelus already? Wasn't the entire continent his domain? What could he possibly gain from going to that shrine?

User Info: Vhanzy

Vhanzy
5 months ago#2
1st heldalf's true goal was just to die but because of his curse but since that wasn't possible he wants the world to be like him so he won't feel alone

2nd this is just a theory of mine but I felt heldalf saw some hope in sorey since you know why so he tried to make sorey join his cause.

3rd I don't know either because that's where everything begin?

User Info: JayzE8

JayzE8
5 months ago#3
Just play Berseria and alot of the things will make more sense.
PSN: Masuke8 | Pawn: Claxane | Sorcerer Lvl 200

User Info: Koro-Pok-Guru

Koro-Pok-Guru
5 months ago#4
As far as I'm concerned, Zestiria's plot doesn't make too much sense at (many) times.
Heldalf is supposed to be cursed to "Eternal Solitude", but he still have underlings like Symonne that are faithful to him or is able to Armatize (which requires 2 beings).

I don't remember the game too much (I kinda feel I just wanna forget about it tbh), but iirc he has gone crazy, and deep down he simply wants the curse to end (so no more solitude or death). So basically it's the story of an attention whore in their "notice me Shepherd!" quest.

For the rest, Zestiria's lore fail so hard, so many times... The archeology theme is poorly used, the Innominat reference thrown 2 seconds before the end is not better. It fails to explain so much it hurts.

I get that his goal is to unleash everyone's malevolence (a goal that is somewhat similar to ToB's Velvet).

That's not similar to Velvet's goal. She wants revenge towards Artorius. She doesn't try to unleash everyone's malevolence or some other s*** like this. Berseria showed us that the Lord of Calamity is a human construct. It also offered another point of view on some events, which can help put Heldalf's story into perspective. All of this with a less manichean tone (even if Zestiria tried to offer more than good VS evil).

How is that served by getting one measly Shephard on his side?

Looks like shepherds can sacrifice people and throw curse... It could be useful if you plan to f*** the world beyond repair.

Couldn't he just crush everyone in the gang BEFORE they got strong enough to take him on?

Any J-RPG villain probably could. That's kinda not the point of those kind of fictions, it's about the travel not the destination.

Why did Heldalf want or need to go to Artorius' Throne at the end of the game? Wasn't he tethered to Maotelus already? Wasn't the entire continent his domain? What could he possibly gain from going to that shrine?

Not sure about what's in bold tbh.

Anyway, Maotelus is a huge dragon, so it's not like you can have it anywhere you go with you. And his home is Artorius' Throne. This place is also connected to the Earthpulse. I guess there's a lot you can do there to mess up the world.

Not worth too much thinking about it imo. I really hope they'll definitely drop this universe (or at least for a VERY long time). I enjoyed Berseria but I really don't like this lore (malevolence, curses, that whole Siegfried s*** that started with a cheap Persona 3/Jojo reference and ended up with nothing worth your time... Urgh!)
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shinyuki
Tales of Innocence R help & tips topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643157-tales-of-innocence-r/77149633

User Info: CobraGT

CobraGT
3 months ago#5
How is Heldalf alone when he and Maotelus are connected?
GoldenSun/Crossbone Isle diagrams/ 18 teams known http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/SwordOfWheat/Weyard/PicsNao/

User Info: RagesEntity

RagesEntity
3 months ago#6
Maybe Maotelus just isn't much of a talker. =/

User Info: CobraGT

CobraGT
3 months ago#7
Well, if Maotelus got traumatized by the malevolence he might revert to "Number 2" Persona. Hope he is able to get away on occasion and explore or read books.
GoldenSun/Crossbone Isle diagrams/ 18 teams known http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w89/SwordOfWheat/Weyard/PicsNao/

User Info: Tatunen08

Tatunen08
1 month ago#8
RagesEntity posted...
Maybe Maotelus just isn't much of a talker. =/

Heh, I get the joke.
I was too lazy to make a signature.

User Info: Tatunen08

Tatunen08
1 month ago#9
Koro-Pok-Guru posted...
As far as I'm concerned, Zestiria's plot doesn't make too much sense at (many) times.
Heldalf is supposed to be cursed to "Eternal Solitude", but he still have underlings like Symonne that are faithful to him or is able to Armatize (which requires 2 beings).

I don't remember the game too much (I kinda feel I just wanna forget about it tbh), but iirc he has gone crazy, and deep down he simply wants the curse to end (so no more solitude or death). So basically it's the story of an attention whore in their "notice me Shepherd!" quest.

For the rest, Zestiria's lore fail so hard, so many times... The archeology theme is poorly used, the Innominat reference thrown 2 seconds before the end is not better. It fails to explain so much it hurts.

I get that his goal is to unleash everyone's malevolence (a goal that is somewhat similar to ToB's Velvet).

That's not similar to Velvet's goal. She wants revenge towards Artorius. She doesn't try to unleash everyone's malevolence or some other s*** like this. Berseria showed us that the Lord of Calamity is a human construct. It also offered another point of view on some events, which can help put Heldalf's story into perspective. All of this with a less manichean tone (even if Zestiria tried to offer more than good VS evil).

How is that served by getting one measly Shephard on his side?

Looks like shepherds can sacrifice people and throw curse... It could be useful if you plan to f*** the world beyond repair.

Couldn't he just crush everyone in the gang BEFORE they got strong enough to take him on?

Any J-RPG villain probably could. That's kinda not the point of those kind of fictions, it's about the travel not the destination.

Why did Heldalf want or need to go to Artorius' Throne at the end of the game? Wasn't he tethered to Maotelus already? Wasn't the entire continent his domain? What could he possibly gain from going to that shrine?

Not sure about what's in bold tbh.

Anyway, Maotelus is a huge dragon, so it's not like you can have it anywhere you go with you. And his home is Artorius' Throne. This place is also connected to the Earthpulse. I guess there's a lot you can do there to mess up the world.

Not worth too much thinking about it imo. I really hope they'll definitely drop this universe (or at least for a VERY long time). I enjoyed Berseria but I really don't like this lore (malevolence, curses, that whole Siegfried s*** that started with a cheap Persona 3/Jojo reference and ended up with nothing worth your time... Urgh!)

TBH I would want one final game with this universe. One where the Berseria crew and Zestiria crew collide. Berseria X Zestiria the X.

1. Velvet is purified; something is done with Laphi.

2. Eizen is purified or atleast a conscious Dragon.

3. Someone who reads the Earth Pulse so we can see the conclusions to Rokurou, Eleanor, Magilou

OR their descendants.....

4. Something about the Empyreans. You know; Oscar, Teresa, Melchior, Shigure, Phi....

5. An explanation of the unexplained lore. Like immortality, oaths, blue flame etc

6. And finally....... the lore and ultimate conclusion with the Godlike beings who started the curse of malevolence.

I do know that this could possibly make for a bad game if done poorly.... and the whole happy ending thing but I'd like it nonetheless.
I was too lazy to make a signature.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Zestiria
  3. Big bad's goal *MAJOR SPOILERS*
  • Post New Message