Not worth the bandwidth to download.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Magic Duels: Origins
  3. Not worth the bandwidth to download.

User Info: pancakes771

pancakes771
2 years ago#1
Wizards, for no clear reason whatsoever, has decided to spit in the faces of us gamers and insult our intelligences with this steaming dump of a game. It's laden with glitches, network problems, and an AI that only knows how to build U/W decks.

I, like everyone else, had so much excitement for this game and eagerly awaited the triumphant return of 2HG. However, I'm now calling it quits and I'm deleting it from my hard drive. It's been too long without any tangible improvements, yet they post photos and videos to the Duels Facebook page bragging about how cool their game is. It's insulting and I'm done.

Before you chew me out for saying "blah blah free", consider that the game had such a high value to Magic fans that letting them down was worse than taking their money. I say for a few minutes staring at the $20 gold coins option and couldn't decide whether or not to fork over the dough. The factor that led me to uninstall right then and there was the fact that they don't deserve my money or time. I'd be paying them for an unplayable and astonishingly abysmal piece of broken coding that is literally not worth the bandwidth to download. Sorry; not sorry.

I'll rue the day I get sucked into the hype for ANY game from Stainless or digital game from Wizards, as they clearly have no idea whatsoever what they're doing or how even to wing it.

Final opinion: If I could physically throw this game out my window, I would record myself doing it, upload it to YouTube, and replace this entire post with a link to that video.

/rant
W2 FC: 3268-7045-8638
3DS FC: 3883-5877-0817 // Zach

User Info: Honze

Honze
2 years ago#2
pancakes771 posted...
an unplayable and astonishingly abysmal piece of broken coding

XboxOne version isn't unplayable at all. Hell, we also had Tournaments so far, even sponsored by wotc to some extent.
it seems It's proving a bit harder to find matches specifically on Xbox, but you are playing the same version that Steam has.

Mobile users could surely be entitled to more complaints, given the clunkier interface.

Not sure what your specific issues are.

pancakes771
2 years ago#3
My issues:

1. Network errors plague 2HG games. I either get stuck in an infinite queue with my teammate and never find anyone or I get instantly disconnected from my teammate when the game starts up. We tried for 45 minutes the other night, and one of the two mentioned occurrences came up.

2. They drew us all in by bringing back 2HG, but make it pointless to play (assuming you can even connect) if you still have cards to unlock since you get zero gold for winning.

3. Certain cards STILL crash the game, even though people have brought it to their attention on release day.

4. The matchmaking lobby system is horribly designed when compared to past iterations. You can't pick your deck unless you quit out of a lobby, switch, and rejoin. There is no one-button invitation fuction as in 2014.

5. The AI in the game has been stuck on a U/W/x deck since the December update. I can post a video of the creative manager bragging about the "virtually infinite number of decks to play against", yet here we are. Are we, their customers, not worth one update in less than five months? The fact that we have to wait five three extra months for Oath and five for game-breaking glitches to be fixed is outrageous.

6. You need to win (not just complete) 8 PVP games to unlock a single 6-card booster pack. I know the game is free to play, but this is an insane time commitment to unlock 70+ packs per set. Paying for packs is awful value, too. You get less cards per dollar than even in real-life, and buying booster packs in real life is widely acknowledged as a overall waste of money.

7. There is a cap on the amount of coins you can earn per day, for some outlandish reason. Even if you sit and grind out dozens of games, you'll eventually be halted for playing their game TOO much, forcing you to either quit or buy coins after slaving away.

8. Quests are still broken. Some of them don't track progress even when you fulfill the criteria for them, and the archetype pre-con quests have mysteriously reappeared.

9. Load times are ridiculous. GTA Online loads on my Xbox faster than this game, and that's not even an exaggeration. Why does it take 50 seconds to load some card images and music?

But at least everything's shiny, right?

Honze
2 years ago#4

2. They drew us all in by bringing back 2HG, but make it pointless to play (assuming you can even connect) if you still have cards to unlock since you get zero gold for winning.

Gold for 2HG is coming with the 6th April Update

4. The matchmaking lobby system is horribly designed when compared to past iterations. You can't pick your deck unless you quit out of a lobby, switch, and rejoin. There is no one-button invitation fuction as in 2014.

There's no lobby system AT ALL. It's indeed a downgrade, Meant to avoid gold farming exploits.
The 6th April update will allow players to stick with the deck they've last used in any match.

5. The AI in the game has been stuck on a U/W/x deck since the December update. I can post a video of the creative manager bragging about the "virtually infinite number of decks to play against", yet here we are.

AI is there to provide an offline source of gold. There wouldn't be any consistency in testing your decks Vs the AI, even with infinite AI decks, as they'd be randomized and sub-par.
The fact that AI is generally stuck with the same tactis, may prove boring, but it's actually good for farming gold purposes. Knowing that AI prefers specific cards, you can just build a deck meant to farm gold. Thatìs also the one AI purpose, besides some low-level newbie training.

6. You need to win (not just complete) 8 PVP games to unlock a single 6-card booster pack. I know the game is free to play, but this is an insane time commitment to unlock 70+ packs per set. Paying for packs is awful value, too. You get less cards per dollar than even in real-life, and buying booster packs in real life is widely acknowledged as a overall waste of money.

7. There is a cap on the amount of coins you can earn per day, for some outlandish reason. Even if you sit and grind out dozens of games, you'll eventually be halted for playing their game TOO much, forcing you to either quit or buy coins after slaving away.

That's your personal problem. You might not have experienced other games like Hearthstones, but the grind in Magic Duels is extremely fine by comparison.
General community feelings about gold farming can be seen in this poll http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13448

Of course, the format has long changed since past DotP iterations, but all cards are unlockable, no useless copies of cards are drawn from boosters, and Magic2015 had a paywall.
So, all in all, general consensus is that the gold grind and booster systems are quite fine.

8. Quests are still broken. Some of them don't track progress even when you fulfill the criteria for them, and the archetype pre-con quests have mysteriously reappeared.

Old quests reappearing is an old news glitch, after the latest update meant to forcefully standardize a daily quest reset timeframe for ALL users.
It has already been said, the immediate workaround is to refresh the old quest IF they reappear, and restart the game to update the shwon gold reward amount, if lower than the new 60-75-100g rewards.

Other stuff you stated is either experienced by the whole community or RNG glitches appearing once in a while.
Bug patches tend to come in slowly, as Stainless have an extremely small and underfunded team, when compared to what this game would require.
Both Stainless and WotC have proven more than once their limitations in understanding digital market and the needs of a community, yet they started changing their ways and working more in contact with the players, announcing patches, card phasing and bug fixes.

We are on the same boat, and we wait for the same stuff.

But at least everything's shiny, right?

Surely not as muddy as you make it.

pancakes771
2 years ago#5
Is there a list of patch updates anywhere? Can't seem to find one. To be honest, if they address many of the issues I have in the April update, I could come back.

Honze
2 years ago#6
pancakes771 posted...
Is there a list of patch updates anywhere? Can't seem to find one. To be honest, if they address many of the issues I have in the April update, I could come back.

Well, the patch update list will be released after the 6th of April Update.
It's less than a week ahead, so you could just stick around and farm some gold in the meanwhile.

While you wait you can listen to the guys themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyasMhKZHa8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZa0Gy4be6g

User Info: Morph TK

Morph TK
2 years ago#7
the thing that rubs me the wrong way is the multiplayer. I mean they had it right with how 2014 operated. So why did they not follow the same format? Months ago i got fed up when i couldn't find any sort of game to load, whether it be 2HG or anything else.

Got boring real fast always playing solo games, also annoying never got the 500 solo wins achievement when i've literally gotten like 2000 wins in solo.

Again main head scratcher is how this game was better years ago and the programming got worse over installements. Hell even the original mtg plays better online then this new one.

Honze
2 years ago#8
Morph TK posted...

Again main head scratcher is how this game was better years ago and the programming got worse over installements.

Well, the decisive factor here is lobbies being cut out of the game.
In the past, you set up a lobby, waited or invited and then started the game. There still were issues, tho.

Current system seems to pool 3+ active users searching for MP match, then proceed to match 2 of them with the better Ping rate and trash the remaining players. It's usually a shot in the dark.
Moreover, because you are always matching random pugs against each other, the commitment does drop when compared to players actively creating or joining an existing lobby, instead of pushing a roulette button.

Every DotP had issues tho.
2014, for the first 2 months, actually revealed players' decks and allowed the lobby owner to change its deck to the superior match at instant speed before starting the duel.
The other player was then left with an always bad matchup, facing premade decks meant to be the perfect counters.

Now, I'm actually convinced that lobbies would solve these match connecting issues we are experiencing on every platform.
They should simply have no-gold open lobbies, for real MP lovers, and Random MP matchmaking with gold rewards for those looking to farm.

It should also be noted that DotP and Duels have always been - so far - a second thought for WotC.
They never liked the digital market, and they always tried to delegate any nuisance associated with it.
A company like that, with no specific game plan, no attention to the userbase, and little to no interest in the product that they were trying to ship, doesn't even bother checking on a development process besides the mandatory trademarked parts.

The result is a development team trying to create the safest possible, more limited port, just to satisfy the messy and sub-standard requirements of an uninterested customer.

User Info: Shotgunnova

Shotgunnova
2 years ago#9
OGW/SOI update is out on Steam. Xbox one version should becoming within the next couple hours, apparently.
Take me down from the ridge where the summer ends
And watch the city spread out just like a jet's flame

pancakes771
2 years ago#10
It was up and live for a couple hours on Xbox, then the servers went down inexplicably almost 2 hours ago and they haven't given any updates since.

Well, nice to know they REALLY don't care about this game. If they did, they wouldn't let it crash just hours after a full revamp alongside patch notes that lost what they fixed AS WELL AS THINGS THEY KNOW ARE BROKEN BUT THEY DIDN'T BOTHER FIXING.

smfh

I actually reinstalled the game to play the update, and I'm already on the verge of deleting it again.
  1. Boards
  2. Magic Duels: Origins
  3. Not worth the bandwidth to download.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived