• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Berseria
  3. Combat Questions *Possible Spoilers*

User Info: Strife2

Strife2
1 month ago#1
I just got off the island, so they only now introduced Therionization and some other mechanics. I don't think Magilou and Rokurou are official members yet. Still, I had some questions on combat mechanics and gameplay styles.

1. How effective are status effects and buffs/debuffs?

I've grown an appreciation for crippling enemies via status lately (FFX for example is rife with weapons like this, Bloodstained had poison whittle most bosses down with ease), rather than outright damage. Do status effects play a major role in the flow of battle?

2. Is playing defensively an option, or does any character prioritize it?

Along with the status effect manipulation, I tend to favor avoiding opponents damaging my characters a lot or staying away from them. That's why I'm thinking Velvet's style (and Break Soul mechanics) would work against me a bit.

I'm just wondering if the game has a character or allows for chipping away at enemies without too much risk, or if aggressive melee (smart planning but being in the enemies face all day) is the way they expect people to play.

I'msure I'll get more used to the game as I go, but I am grateful for any advice. Thanks.
"Evening caress, Always yearning, I must confess, The stars aren't burning"
Copernicus - Candlemass
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Koro-Pok-Guru

Koro-Pok-Guru
1 month ago#2

The first thing to say is that they're mostly random. A lot of moves only have a small % of chance to inflict a status ailment. In order to create a stategy that relies on status ailments, you'll need to use the equipment system or some gameplay mechanics. For instance, if you use Hidden Artes in a combo, it will increase the chances of triggering secondary effects on following non Hidden Artes.

As you progress in the adventure, you will have gameplay advice added in your library, so feel free to check it from time to time.

Otherwise:
- Since you get 1 soul everytime you inflict a status ailment, they're very effective and give rhythm to battles. Be careful, this works in both sense. Mid game, spellcasters will often start the battle with a very fast shockwave spell that have very high chances of inflicting status ailments for instance, you'll have to learn to dodge that or you'll start most of your battles gimped (starting with 2 souls and a status ailment sucks)

- Status ailments prevent traditionnal heal of HP (items and healing spells). While this is important for you, it can also help you gimp an enemy with a recovery move. Do note that Velvet's Therion Mode is counted as a status ailment.
+ In Berseria, healing moves are near useless in higher difficulties (Intense +), they will mostly serve to heal status ailments/resurrection, not get your HP back.

- Status ailments are paired with elements. If a target is sensitive to fire it will be easier to burn, on the contrary if it resists it, it'll be harder.

- Do not underestimate how useful/annoying some status ailments can be. Read about them in the library.

- Buffs and Debuffs are always useful but they do not give additionnal souls and generally don't last long. Stealing boss buffs with a certain character's spells, is something players often forget to do but is really useful. Otherwise some moves have 100% of chances to buff their user. Like Eizen's Flash Step for instance.

- The Focus stat plays a big role in how you're affected by/inflict status ailments.

Playing defensively is indeed an option. There are 2 direct orders that allow your teamate to be extra offensive or defensive (click the joystick and L1/L2 to activate that iirc). You can also set your AI as you wish in the strategy menu.

No need to say that playing defensively won't win you matches, but it can be useful in the course of a battle (if the enemy is about to use a powerful move that surrounds them, or if they reflect dmg for instance) or if you wanna solo a battle.

In general, the game will reward you for being aggressive, but it's fair to say it'll reward you for playing correctly anyway. Dodging a move with the right timing can make pop a soul on the battlefield and can even heal you (if you have upgraded boots).

People often neglect defensive options, which is a mistake. Even if Velvet cannot be staggered in Therion Mode, if she takes dmg, she will exit this Mode quicker. No matter how aggressive you are you must never forget about your defensive options, dodge as much as you can, especially in the higher difficulties where getting hit often means dying.

As for staying away from your opponent. 4/6 members of the cast are spell casters, so it's definitively an option. Some characters have move to support a H&R strategy or to protect them while they cast, but you'll have to learn to anticipate, position yourself correctly, use around steps to reduce cast time, and to sometimes simply prioritize a physical approach according to the situation.

Do note that each character have their own Break Soul. Rokurou's is a counter, you might wanna try that if you like defensive plays.
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Shinyuki
Tales of Innocence R help & tips topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643157-tales-of-innocence-r/77149633

Strife2
1 month ago#3
Wow. That is some hefty info. Thanks.
Copernicus - Candlemass

Strife2
4 weeks ago#4
Obtained Rokurou, Laphicet, and Eizen. I was honestly expecting the battles to be a little tougher (I know it is early, but still). I have a handle on Velvet so far. As I feared, leaving her under AI can be risky via Therion mode.

EDIT: just read up on a topic solving Velvet's AI.

The equipment system makes sense I think. I've been dismantling anything without a "random" skill after everyone masters them.

Idon't think I am using stuff like Flash Step and Quickness right. The charge times are brutal when Eizen is in melee.
Copernicus - Candlemass
(edited 4 weeks ago)

Koro-Pok-Guru
4 weeks ago#5
I was honestly expecting the battles to be a little tougher (I know it is early, but still).

This game is overall easy. If you want some challenge you'll have to craft it (nothing too complicated & you'll generally get rewarded for that anyway).

- Play on the hardest difficulty available. You'll get Intense soon after you get to Loegres (Code Red Echidna)
- Use Dark Bottles (they will make enemies repop during a battle) and/or trigger Dangerous Encounters (which will make foes stronger, it's also a way to make enemies from the earliest areas relevant again). This should make any segment of the game more challenging.
- Do not play Velvet. She is clearly a character for beginners. She can't be staggered or die in Therion Mode, she will trivialize the game by herself and might even give you some bad habits (like neglect dodging). Consider her at best as an emergency button.

What I usually add on top of this is the "No Item challenge". You get a lot more Grade Points if you don't use items, which means that your equipments are mastered faster and that you get additionnal points for the Grade Shop (options you can use during your NG+). While this may sound hard at first, it will make you use every aspect of the gameplay to survive, which is a very rewarding way to play.

You could eventually stop cooking, since it fully heals you between battle which makes the game easier. But I wouldn't recommend it. It's a quality of life feature, and there's no reward for ignoring it (basically the contrary). Do note that all Tales don't work the same way, in some games you'll need to manage your HP/TP properly between battles.

The equipment system makes sense I think.

It's easy to manage but it can be tedious to sell/dismantle a lot of things. It'll get slightly more complex as you unlock new potentites to upgrade your equipments further. For the moment, collecting Master Skills is the right move.

Paying attention to random skills is a good habit to take too, but for the moment you can't drop anything super impressive. If you continue to play in Intense/Chaos you'll unlock equipments with more/stronger random skills.

Idon't think I am using stuff like Flash Step and Quickness right. The charge times are brutal when Eizen is in melee.

Not really.
I kinda mentionned that previously but the game has a mechanic that decreases cast time according to the number of actions you've already performed in a row (artes and around steps are considered as actions).

So basically, if you have 4 souls, you can perform 4 actions before you're forced to take a break. If you were to cast a spell as your first action, there's no cast time reduction. If a spell is your 2nd action there's a 20% cast time reduction, 40% for your 3rd action, 50% for the 4th one.

Mixing melee and spells is made easier by this. And things can get really fast if you do that properly. Do note that you can also cast lower tier spells at the begining of a combo, and use higher tier spells as you progress to take advantage of the big cast time reduction you get the further you're in a chain. You can also use back steps 3 times in a row to distance you from an enemy and then cast a spell with a 50% cast time reduction (which is probably the best way to use resurrection spells).

When it comes to the 2 spells you mentionned. Flash Step is useful to teleport. I personally use Eizen primary as a spell caster, so it allows me to go to melee directly (with a nice P. Def buff) without running. Used in melee you can change target on the spot and escape an incoming threat or save an ally.
Quickness will simply make you run faster and dispel the Slow status ailments. But Berseria is not a game where you're supposed to run a lot after enemies (especially when you play a spellcaster, you'll understand more about this when you unlock the 5th character).
Tales of Innocence R help & tips topic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/643157-tales-of-innocence-r/77149633

Strife2
4 weeks ago#6
I think I'm not worried about other diifficulties. I may replay it someday downthe road. I just know a certain boss fight is where a crazy curveball in dificulty shows up.
Copernicus - Candlemass

Koro-Pok-Guru
4 weeks ago#7
It's hard to find a good combo video for Eizen without spoil, but this should show you how it works:

https://youtu.be/YH4eMQgzfM8

This is not bad but it's not very good either. It still shows you how you can use the cast time reduction and control the distance between you and your enemies with the right combination of Artes. You can take advantage of when the enemy is staggered, downed, in the air, affected by some status ailments (stun, paralysis, burn and slow would nicely do the trick) to cast spells safely.

What's not so good about this video is that you're normally supposed to use Break Souls to do longer chain of Artes, which the player doesn't do here. Instead they take a small break.
They also have 8 souls (something you can achieve late game thx to the equipment system), so while they don't do anything too wild that would be impossible with 5 souls (they mostly use that excess of souls to add some sidesteps in the mix because it looks better), I prefer videos with better use of some gameplay mechanics.

https://youtu.be/ix9l_eJNEM4?t=14

The begining of the video with the 3 enemies shows the proper use of flash step. A way to get close of your target while ignoring anything in between. The second flash step is particularly great, the player used 2 around steps before to decrease its cast time, they dodged Oscar's attack and interrupted the spell caster. 3 birds in one stone.

What I "don't really like" about this video is that it's some custom PC stuff (so the begining of the game with Eizen instead of Velvet) and has some modifications. This doesn't change anything about what I intended to show you (the proper use of Flash Step), and the player is still very skilled, but it's important to notice that kind of stuff.
Luckily, most youtubers are transparent enough to talk about the modifications they made to the game for their videos. Here they mostly tried to make stuff harder for themselves ^^ (the second part of the battle kinda drags and gets repetitive because of it tho)

Another point I don't really like is how they do not care about SG recovery (which explains why their souls are always red). During a fight, on top of your souls, you should manage your SG properly, which means you need to sometimes do breaks (guard to get an aura and regen your SG). If you don't and continue to attack while you have no SG, your attacks will be easier to dodge and counter, on top of being overall less effective.

That's all, hope it helped.
(Be careful about spoils if you look for other combo videos on Youtube tho).

I think I'm not worried about other diifficulties.

Fair enough.
Just be aware of your options, if you want challenge, the game can arguably become one of the most challenging of the series for random encounters.

I just know a certain boss fight is where a crazy curveball in dificulty shows up.

:meh:
There are some difficulty spikes here and there, mostly areas with a lot of spellcasters. Boss will get tougher towards the end of the game, but there's no scenario boss that'll represent a real wall. People can have trouble against an enemy because they overlook a gameplay feature tho.
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: shadowysea07

shadowysea07
4 weeks ago#8
Strife2 posted...

About average besides the ones that refill your gauge faster or increase casting speed. Those are very useful.

Status ailment wise I didn't take advantage of any of them so I wouldn't know.

Strife2 posted...

Rocko specializes in counter attacks for his burst artes. If you played tales of legendia it's basically what she was able to do. I never got the timing down for them though so I rarely used him for that and preferred his multi hit elemental artes or the big elemental ones for his later forms 6-8 iirc. Out of the cast he was my least favorite playing as though.

Strife2 posted...

I'm just wondering if the game has a character or allows for chipping away at enemies without too much risk,

Eizen fills that role definitely. His chain arte allows him to attack any enemy from mid range and they strike from underground and typically have a high stun rate. Which works wonders for spamming his burst arte chain. Eizens one of the most popular characters to use because of him being a bit broken because of that. They try to balance it out by having enemies resistant to stun or the element he uses so that helps a little.Strife2 posted...

Yeah they nerfed the quick stepping from graces/zesty so casting times are pretty rough for eizen when you want to use him for buffing purposes.
HammeredWharf posted... When diplomacy doesn't work even after the third decapitation, you know it's a tough crowd.
Superrpgman posted... to my fried Tejus!

Koro-Pok-Guru
4 weeks ago#9
Yeah they nerfed the quick stepping from graces/zesty so casting times are pretty rough for eizen when you want to use him for buffing purposes.

Dude, you really need to stop spreading misinformation...
Around Steps didn't affect cast time in Graces F and Berseria works like Zestiria in that regard.

Strife2
4 weeks ago#10
Just got Eleanor, so that means the party is now full. The game was finally starting to be not a "challenge," but enough that enemies were doing damage. The training wheels seem to be off. I just wish I could remember how to do sidesteps now. The introduction of switching characters in battle made that confusing. I'm sure it's similar to the switch control buttons, but I probably just got used to Velvet spam working on enemies to notice I forgot.
Copernicus - Candlemass
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Berseria
  3. Combat Questions *Possible Spoilers*
  • Post New Message