You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Berseria
  3. I liked Xillia - will I like this game

User Info: JW ACE

JW ACE
1 month ago#1
So first (and only) tales game I have played was Xillia. I generally loved it, and didn't think I was going to.

Primarily that battle system which seemed complex at first ended up flowing really well for me, so I never felt like I was grinding.

Is the battle system in this game similar enough? Unless the story is terrible I'll probably like it enough to continue for the whole game - but would be good to have fun doing it.
Currently playing: Dreamfall Chapters, Civilization VI,Horizon Zero Dawn
Long live Sierra!!!!

User Info: Sand_Flare

Sand_Flare
1 month ago#2
I personally thought that the battle system feels quite different to play than Xillia's. The way artes are handled is very different, and there are a lot of new mechanics that make it feel totally different.

As for the story, your mileage may vary. It bored me to tears, but others seem to like it.

If you're looking for a Tales game to play, keep in mind that Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition is coming out in about 3 weeks. Vesperia's battles feel a lot more similar to Xillia's.
http://img1.imagehousing.com/0/anime-524978.gif

User Info: VanilleHopen

VanilleHopen
1 month ago#3
wait for vespiria edition, and buy symphonia for ps3 and tales of abyss if you have ps2 or 3ds...

This isn't nostalgia talking I actually played all these games after Graces and Xillia..

They are just better, back when Namco put real effort into their games and didn't just recycle bland environs, and put a box down somewhere you have to push 2 spaces up and 1 space forward and call it a "puzzle"
Currently living on Haru's forehead from P5 and I have a huge 20 acre backyard.

User Info: 666Kefka666

666Kefka666
1 month ago#4
Sand_Flare posted...
As for the story, your mileage may vary. It bored me to tears

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this way.

User Info: Zombies_Online

Zombies_Online
1 month ago#5
The battle system is nothing like Xillia's. It's closer to Graces f and Zestiria. The cast and story are fantastic, though, and among the best in the series.
All the zombies walk on Black Friday.

User Info: JW ACE

JW ACE
1 month ago#6
Ah ok - I think I did hear Vespiria is closest to Xillia in some article I read. Didn't realize a definitive edition was in the works.

Good to hear - I'll check that one out. Prob won't play it for a bit - I'm more of a Final Fantasy fan myself - but picked up Xillia on impulse and ended up liking it, figured I would give another game or two a go.

I do have a HUGE backlog though - still I will always find time to play a good game.
Currently playing: Dreamfall Chapters, Civilization VI,Horizon Zero Dawn
Long live Sierra!!!!

User Info: Sand_Flare

Sand_Flare
1 month ago#7
JW ACE posted...
I'm more of a Final Fantasy fan myself - but picked up Xillia on impulse and ended up liking it, figured I would give another game or two a go.

I hear you. I'm a huge FF fan too. In fact, in terms of world/exploration and stuff, Vesperia is more similar to older FF games since it has a fully traversable world map, so you should feel right at home.
http://img1.imagehousing.com/0/anime-524978.gif

User Info: Archenemy

Archenemy
1 month ago#8
Tales games can be distinguished between two parties -- Team Destiny and Team Symphonia noted by their battle systems. Xillia and Xillia 2 belong to Team Symphonia. Berseria and its prequel Zestiria belong to Team Destiny. Their battle systems are pretty different.

I myself am partial to Team Symphonia and in terms of battle system and gameplay, Xillia 2 is Tales' crowning jewel.

User Info: gamerprince1999

gamerprince1999
1 month ago#9
The story and characters are FAR better. The battle system is very different and you may or may not like it idk. The overworld areas are better designed and fun to traverse but still feel a bit bland and empty. Still its way better than Xillia's.

User Info: 666Kefka666

666Kefka666
1 month ago#10
Archenemy posted...
Xillia 2 is Tales' crowning jewel

I admit that the battle system was fun, but Graces F is still the Tales of with the best gameplay mechanics.
  1. Boards
  2. Tales of Berseria
  3. I liked Xillia - will I like this game