You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Is leather armor inherently stealthier than combat armor?

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#1
Just wondering if the type of armor itself matters for being detecting while sneaking or if it's solely based on the weight of the armor.

I noticed when I replaced all of my leather armor with combat armor, the total weight was nearly identical.

So does that mean the combat armor doesn't hurt stealth any more than the leather, or does the actual material come into play as well, and not just the weight?

Thanks.

User Info: red255

red255
2 months ago#2
Reasonable sure the stealth equation uses armor weight instead of caring about type
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#3
red255 posted...
Reasonable sure the stealth equation uses armor weight instead of caring about type

Interesting, because like I said, replacing my leather with combat armor only raised the weight by about one pound. That's why I was confused why everyone seems to suggest leather armor for stealth builds.

Granted, it does *look* better...

User Info: Evil_Geoff

Evil_Geoff
2 months ago#4
And if I am remembering correctly, you can Upgrade the armor to "Shadowed" and that decreases detection chance in dark areas while Lighter Build does just that - lightens armor weight. There are also Chameleon and Cloaking Legendary armors that basically go auto-Stealthboy when you are still. And since it's Legendary, each piece stacks the effect.

Also Chinese Stealth Armor mod brings the FNV Stealthsuit into Fallout 4... https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29091

Enjoy sneaking!
Hah! You kids these days got it easy. I started playing video games with PONG. Now THAT was a video game! And get off my lawn!

User Info: red255

red255
2 months ago#5
You can get shadowed on anything except Raider armor though.

he was asking if it was worth hunting leather armor when he already had legendary combat armor with decent effects.

of it it was just the slightly higher weight penalty of the shadowed combat armor vs the leather.

I personally prefer legendary mods that give +2 to stats over various legendary stuff.

I generally move and cloaking is after being hit, neither is super useful. I'd rather have +AGI from cunning or something on my legendary stealth armor.

though I generally lean to fortifying for increased melee damage and carry weight and sprint AP cost reduction and HP.
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#6
Heh heh, in a way my question may be moot, because I flat out walked in front of an enemy last night -- not even in stealth mode -- and he didn't see me. Go figure. 😎
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Is leather armor inherently stealthier than combat armor?