You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Need advice on how to spend perk points from here on out...

User Info: Evil_Geoff

Evil_Geoff
2 months ago#11
PRO-TIP for a "No Power Armor" character (if you have the Automatron DLC):

The Mechanist armor is the best non-power armor outfit in the game. It starts with 72 Damage Resistance and 72 Energy Resistance, +1 END, AND is -15% damage from robots. Add Mk V (max level) Ballistic Weave and you have armor that gives you 182 DR/ER! Plus the base bonuses.

You can also wear a hat with it - the following can be upgraded with Ballistic Weave as well, so you get up to +110DR/ER and the hat base bonus:
Battered Fedora - +1 Luck
Green Rag Hat - +10 ER
Newsboy Cap - +1 CHA
Trilby Hat - +1 CHA

If you don't want the Mechanist Armor or don't have the Automatron DLC, many of the clothes that can be worn UNDER armor (like Army fatigues or a Minuteman outfit) can be upgraded with Ballistic Weave to give you up to 110DR/ER in addition to whatever protection the armor provides.

Consider: The ABSOLUTE best protection from base armor that you can get in the game without the DLCs requires the purchase of very expensive UNIQUE armor pieces scattered across multiple merchants. Start with the Mk 4 Synth Chest (49 DR/54 ER), Overseer's Rt Armguard (22/22), Overseer's Lt Armguard (21/21), Devastators Rt Greave (rt leg) (27/17), Apocalypse Lt Greave (lt leg) (23/14) OR Mk 4 Synth Left Leg (22/25), and top it all off with the Mark 2 Synth helmet (17/18) and you can armor up to 159 DR/146 ER OR 158 DR/157 ER. Slap a MK V ballistic weave base layer under that for a 110/110 boost, and you've got levels of protection approaching 1/2 that of a full suit of Raider or base T-45 Power armor.

But frankly, any of the hats you can modify with Ballistic Weave is better armor protection than the helmet. The only thing that makes that Synth helmet worth wearing is the +1 AGI and +1 PER bonuses.
Hah! You kids these days got it easy. I started playing video games with PONG. Now THAT was a video game! And get off my lawn!
(edited 2 months ago)

Evil_Geoff
2 months ago#12
Clarification - that armor build I pointed out above is about 1/2 the DR of Raider and T-45a PA. It actually has MORE ER than Raider PA, and is just short of T-45a ER.
Hah! You kids these days got it easy. I started playing video games with PONG. Now THAT was a video game! And get off my lawn!

User Info: red255

red255
2 months ago#13
I generally would consider 5 pieces of fortify shadowed leather with deep pockets some army fatigues and newsboy cap with balistic weave maxed out

The tier 1 stuff to minimize weight
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

Evil_Geoff
2 months ago#14
@red255 - that's great for a sneak build! Works well to deal with ranged weapons with the ballistic weave underlayer.

If you want to go toe-to-toe with Deathclaws, you go with the heavy armor on top. :-)

red255
2 months ago#15
If I was truly dedicated to a sneak build id make them lightweight instead of deep pockets

Its more for massive carry weight also the strength makes you deal stupid amounts of melee damage
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#16
I just unlocked ballistic weave and some of your suggestions are close to what I have. Currently I have deep pocketed, shadowed combat armor in each slot, armored dirty army fatigues (I just found "clean" army fatigues and my OCD is itching to use those instead, but I don't know if it's worth the materials....where do you get more of the ballistic weave materials?).

I've also been using the newsboy cap, and that's armored now as well. An underpiece that gives +2 or +3 to CHR would be nice, but I haven't found that yet. I like having that extra point of STR from the army fatigues though. I've also considered the Minuteman outfit as well. Too bad you can't remove the ballistic weave like other mods.

red255
2 months ago#17
You get more ballistic weave from military duct tape or military backpacks or you can buy shipments i think lucas simms sells some

Also tinker tom sells armored clothing breaking it down with two ranks of scrapper yields ballistic fiber

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#18
Thanks. I may redo my clothes once I finally decide what I want from it. I like the strength from the army fatigues, but the minuteman outfit seems nice too.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Need advice on how to spend perk points from here on out...