You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Need advice on how to spend perk points from here on out...

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#1
I didn't think I'd get to a point where I don't know what to do with my points, but right now I'm there. I'm currently level 26 with three perk points unused.

Here's what I have so far:

Armor 2 (don't really seem to need rank 3 yet)
Rifleman 3
Locksmith 3
Gun Nut 3
Hacker 3
Scrapper 2
Sneak 4
Ninja 2

I plan to take Local Leader, so that will leave me with two extra points. Eventually I will finish out most of the above (probably not Locksmith or Hacker), but none of the above will be available to take again until the 30s (Rifleman at 31 is the earliest, I think), which means I'll have quite a few perk points wasting away.

So any recommendations until then? I was considering Science!, but I'm not sure I need that. I wear lighter armor (just switched from leather to combat armor) with Shadowed and Deep Pocketed mods. Works well so far.

Other possibilities would be Strong Back (but that also requires a couple extra points in Strength), Toughness (?), Life Giver (?), probably Lone Wanderer later on, Medic (?), Mister Sandman after I finish Ninja (because of a bug?), and Action Boy (I could take this one now).

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: red255

red255
2 months ago#2
Generally speaking i go with rifles and automatics

If you get an explosive legendary you put it on an automatic it gets bonus damage from the automatic and explosive perks

Ideally a pipe rifle cuz the ammo is so light and cheap but in my game its a 10mm pistol

Wasnt running into a carry weight issue useing pockets and codworth but i travel somewhat light

But yeah automatics are great
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#3
Hmm, I'm not sure I want to specialize in another weapon type. I like rifles so far. I was looking more for the utility type perks to round out the character.

I did have Commando listed as a possibility, but I actually crossed it out just before asking my question!

red255
2 months ago#4
JohnJSal posted...
Hmm, I'm not sure I want to specialize in another weapon type. I like rifles so far. I was looking more for the utility type perks to round out the character.

I did have Commando listed as a possibility, but I actually crossed it out just before asking my question!

Im just saying if you get a weapon that adds 15 explosive damage per hit demolition expert knocks it up to 30 and commando double it again to 60

I dont know your special
At 10 special int gets nerd rage which slows time before you die
At 10 special en gets solar powered which removes radiation damage in sunlight
Chemist as mentioned allows you to craft jet fuel
Demolition expert allows you to craft mines and grenades good xp
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

User Info: Evil_Geoff

Evil_Geoff
2 months ago#5
If you use Power Armor? Nuclear Physicist. Maxed out makes your fusion cores last a stupid long time.

They also last longer in Gatling Lasers... Just sayin'
Hah! You kids these days got it easy. I started playing video games with PONG. Now THAT was a video game! And get off my lawn!

JohnJSal
2 months ago#6
I don't plan to use Power Armor, unless I can sneak around in it 😏

Here are my stats so far:

Strength 3 (still need the bobble head)
Perception 4 (got the bobble head)
Endurance 2 (no bobble head)
Charisma 6 (no bobble head)
Intelligence 6 (bobble head)
Agility 7 (no bobble head)
Luck 4 (no bobble head, but use YOU'RE SPECIAL on it)

I'm thinking I may use some perk points on Luck and try out all those perks that work well together, but I don't always use VATS, so it's a trade off.

I'm also considering a few points in Strength for Strong Back, and maybe a point in Endurance for Life Giver. The health regen seems cool.

red255
2 months ago#7
Again i only bothered with the solar one
Which removes rads in sunlight

Stimpacks are super common and you can find 2 on lowly raiders so if you want more hp recovery id consider stimpack efficacy

Cranking en gives more hp per level and reduces running stamina cost

Costs like 12 ap a second with 1 en and 6 with 10 en

Probably free sprinting with 20 en

As for sneaking in power armor

There are mods you can install to give it a stealth field

I dont think its ever truly stealthy but you can sneak in it

JohnJSal
2 months ago#8
Thanks. Maybe I'll use perk points on Endurance and Medic instead of Life Giver.

That would also allow me to get Aqua Boy, which seems unnecessary yet cool. The sort of utility perk I'm looking for.

red255
2 months ago#9
Yeah i started my last run with 10 int and used the your special and bobblehead to raise it to 12

Had a usanka hat and lab coat to push it to 15 while crafting or 20 with drugs

Great for crafting xp to accelerate leveling

Now there are people who avoid power armor and rapidly leveling to maintain game challenge

But if you arent trying to maintain game challenge a big ol suit of x01 and a bunch of easy crafting levels

Will make the game easier

Alternatively shadowed leather and two pieces of ballistic weave

You wont be as hard to kill but with enough hp and stimpacks death is unlikely

JohnJSal
2 months ago#10
Yeah, I'm not rushing to level up. I like to just take my time and enjoy the game. I really only have about three or four perks left that I consider my "necessary" ones (Rifleman, etc. as named above), and then I'll be swimming in extra perks.

Of course, after expanding my options and realizing how many points I would need to start taking all of those, now I see that I won't have nearly enough, unless I level well past 50 or 60. I'm not sure how far I'll go before being done, but who knows, maybe I'll get there eventually.

I'll probably never touch Power Armor. I just recently moved from leather to combat armor, with almost no increase in weight, surprisingly. I need to look into this ballistic weave stuff when I get it. Sounds cool.

So far I'm not really having much trouble staying alive, so I guess Life Giver isn't strictly necessary anyway. It just sounded cool to have health regen, but I've read that there is a magazine that also gives regen. Granted, it sounds like a pitiful amount (something like 1 point per minute?), but I assume it would still work when you fast travel, so that would probably heal you for a nice chunk each time.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Need advice on how to spend perk points from here on out...