You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. How does excess food get added to the the Workshop inventory?

User Info: JohnJSal

JohnJSal
2 months ago#1
Hi all. I just started Fallout 4 a few days ago, and I'm reading a website that explains how the Settlement system works. One thing I'm confused about is that the guide keeps mentioning that "excess food" is automatically added to the Workshop inventory, but at the same time mentions that food must be manually harvested.

What does this mean? What's the difference between harvesting it yourself and having it added to storage somehow? Does it just happen if you wait too long to harvest? Or is the guide referring to some other feature of growing food?

Thanks.

User Info: Evil_Geoff

Evil_Geoff
2 months ago#2
Good questions! As long as I have been playing the game, I honestly have no clue - I've never noticed it.

Beyond getting the farming aspects set up (crops planted, settlers assigned, etc) and making sure I have enough food production going on that I have enough to keep happiness above 70% - 80%, I have never looked at what happens to the crops once the system is up and going. I know there are settlements that don't have land for farming like Boston Airport and The Mechanist Lair, and assigned settlers don't starve.

So I guess that at least some of the food goes to those locations via the provisioner network. And now that I'm actually thinking about it, I'm trying to remember if I actually harvest the crops when I am cooking in settlements, or if I'm using crops in the workbench inventory... Hhhhhhmmmmmm...
Hah! You kids these days got it easy. I started playing video games with PONG. Now THAT was a video game! And get off my lawn!

JohnJSal
2 months ago#3
One more question has popped up since I've been playing today: I tried "scrapping" some food units because I had too many and they weren't even being tended to anyway, but there is no scrap option for food. How can I get rid of them?

I pressed Tab on one of them and it gave me the option to send the whole thing to storage, but I never saw it in storage, so I have no idea what that feature is actually doing. It did remove it from the field, though.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#4
Evil_Geoff posted...
I know there are settlements that don't have land for farming like Boston Airport and The Mechanist Lair, and assigned settlers don't starve.

So I guess that at least some of the food goes to those locations via the provisioner network.

One thing I learned from my research is that any food you have over the minimum you need for a particular settlement is shared with other settlements connected to it, so you might have a settlement with 10 people and no food, but if it is connected to a settlement with at least 10 extra food, then it uses that extra food and they won't starve.
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Supplice_

Supplice_
2 months ago#5
JohnJSal posted...
I pressed Tab on one of them and it gave me the option to send the whole thing to storage, but I never saw it in storage, so I have no idea what that feature is actually doing. It did remove it from the field, though.

It puts it not in the workshop storage, but the sort of storage you have of already constructed items. The next time you go to plant one of those items, you should see a number underneath the icon. You can place that number of those items without using items stores in workshops. Same goes for beds, furniture, walls, turrets and generators, etc. Think of them as being preconstructed items just sitting in hammerspace, ready to be used again. I'm also almost certain hat these preconstructed items are available across your Provisioner-linked settlements, too.
The Radio Free Supplice broadcast system.

User Info: wanderz

wanderz
2 months ago#6
JohnJSal posted...
Hi all. I just started Fallout 4 a few days ago, and I'm reading a website that explains how the Settlement system works. One thing I'm confused about is that the guide keeps mentioning that "excess food" is automatically added to the Workshop inventory, but at the same time mentions that food must be manually harvested.

What does this mean? What's the difference between harvesting it yourself and having it added to storage somehow? Does it just happen if you wait too long to harvest? Or is the guide referring to some other feature of growing food?

Thanks.

if you have your settlement growing food to the point that "food" is in the green (ie 6 or more food for 6 settlers) then it will technically just appear in the workshop for that settlement over time...
roleplaying wise you can say that your settlers harvest the food and put any they don't eat in the workshop storage for you...
in reality they don't technically even harvest food... just because there is sufficient food, they are happy and even if you have it exact (i usually produce 12 food if i have 12 people) there will be food of whatever kind they are growing in the workshop over time... water works the same too.

how exactly it works when connecting settlements i'm not sure, because i don't even bother with that... i just make each settlement self sufficient and generally leave most of them alone, unless they get attacked, or i happen to be nearby, i might stop in / run thru.

i'm also fairly certain they won't ever actually starve, not sure if they might eventually leave, but i don't think so, but the lower the "happiness" is the less they will do, so even if you have 8 people assigned to salvaging they will produce less and less as their happiness decreases.
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.

User Info: red255

red255
2 months ago#7
Its an overcomplicated equation

Settlers harvest if there isn't enough food in storage and more often if they are happier

Same with water

Which is why people dont care for the scavenging workbenches because the junk limit is so low.

As such i generally put 36 food 36 water at each settlement and have a few large farm settlements i personally harvest when i want to craft glue

20 settlers can work 240 tato plants but they will only harvest to the cap

Good farm locations are like sanctuary hills. The sunshine coop and the island because of lots of land everywhere else just 12 pumps and 6 guys on food and 9 of the 8 def turrets
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

JohnJSal
2 months ago#8
Thanks guys! Very helpful!

red255 posted...
As such i generally put 36 food 36 water at each settlement and have a few large farm settlements i personally harvest when i want to craft glue

20 settlers can work 240 tato plants but they will only harvest to the cap

Good farm locations are like sanctuary hills. The sunshine coop and the island because of lots of land everywhere else just 12 pumps and 6 guys on food and 9 of the 8 def turrets

Can you explain this further? I'm not all that keen on investing a ton of time into settlement building, so having an idea of what's a good system (like you seem to be describing) would help me get on with it.

Thanks.

User Info: red255

red255
2 months ago#9
Basically if there is an excess of say 50 food items in the workbench production stops

So if you have 0 food and 36 production. And 7 settlers day 1 36 food 7 gets eaten 29 gets stocked day 2 29+29 58 gets stocked day 3 7 gets eaten 51 stocked day 4 7 gets eaten 44 stocked production resumes day 5 44+29

Etc

Using 6 on food and one for supply lines
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.

User Info: Evil_Geoff

Evil_Geoff
2 months ago#10
OH!

Speaking of supply lines Pro Tip:

Radiation is one of the few things that can actually drop provisioners out of the game. There are locations that will, from time to time, kill human provisioners that are set up to make that link because they pass through high radiation zones. Spectacle Island and Far Harbor being two of the most notorious. For Spectacle Island and Far Harbor runs use GHOUL Settlers. They are immune to the rads from the water where humans will often die. Generally speaking, until I got the Automatron DLC, I tried to make ALL of my provisioners Ghouls.

Once I had the Automatron DLC and could make robots? They got promoted to the provisioning chores. Ghouls and bots are pretty much unstoppable.

OMG! I'm going to repaint all my provisioner bots BROWN. *LOL* UPS LIVES ON!.
Hah! You kids these days got it easy. I started playing video games with PONG. Now THAT was a video game! And get off my lawn!
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. How does excess food get added to the the Workshop inventory?