Making mods for console question, would like to know before purchase please.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Making mods for console question, would like to know before purchase please.

User Info: LoneReaper115

LoneReaper115
2 years ago#1
I am a console player and Fallout 4 is on sale on Steam. I have the digital deluxe bundle on Xbox One, so I already have the DLC assets. The only reason I'm considering buying it on sale is to make mods for my console game. I do not enjoy keyboard and mouse, I've tried many times over the last 15-20 years and I just can't get into it. Even using a controller and xpadder doesn't make it better for me.

So my question is, if I buy vanilla Fallout on Steam, can I make mods for my console with DLC, or do I also have to purchase the DLC on Steam for it to be 100% compatible? I plan on either using new, created assets, or vanilla.
All RPG discussion spot: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1159-reapers-rpg-island
Stop in and stay a while. GT: LoneReaper115

User Info: LaserFodder

LaserFodder
2 years ago#2
You should be able to make mods that will work, but of course they won't be able to use the new assets. This could lead to some issues, depending on what mods you're making.

For example, you wouldn't be able to change anything in Far Harbor or Nuka-World, when those came out. Also, things like the Mechanist's lair and some of the other changes that occur within the Commonwealth itself might cause some issues if you're affecting similar locations. As near as I can tell, you'd be adding in a LOT more time to testing and troubleshooting, to make sure your changes don't get modified by or conflict with any mod changes.

My suggestion would be to get the mods if you can. I suspect that if you make much beyond a few basic mods, you'll end up saving more time by having the mods on both sides than the money is worth. But that's a call based on what's important to you, so make your own decision :)

User Info: wanderz

wanderz
2 years ago#3
you could get the main game (either from steam or another source) then buy the specific dlc you want to be able to work with..
i don't know from experience that would work, but i can't see why it wouldn't.

of course you can also get the season pass cheaper if you don't get it thru steam... it's $30 on other sites, instead of $60 on steam.

also if you know someone else that has the game you could ask them to "family share" the game with you on steam. you won't be able to play the game at the same time as the other person, but you can use it when they are not to work on your mods.

i'm not sure how it wouldn't play the same with the exact same controller connected to your PC tho.. i use an xbox 360 controller and it works great for me.
i tried being serious once, in 1989.. didn't particularly care for it.. so don't expect it to happen again.

User Info: kingcodebra

kingcodebra
2 years ago#4
You don't need xpadder. Just plug a regular old Rock Candy into your PC and Fallout 4 will be under the same exact control scheme as consoles without even having to mess with any options.
http://goo.gl/aRfBup ~ by masterpug53

User Info: gtomanga

gtomanga
2 years ago#5

I do not enjoy keyboard and mouse, I've tried many times over the last 15-20 years and I just can't get into it. Even using a controller and xpadder doesn't make it better for me.

i think you didn't look hard enough
im using ScpMonitor program on my pc

i can play any controller support game using any controller known to man and im using my favorite costume made ps3 controller
if you used the program the pc will register it as an Xbox 360/ps3/ps4/xbone controller
soo you don't have to do anything

if your interasted
this video will help you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSaOJJIun8
Ys,megaman,harvest moon,sly cooper,rune factory,shin megami tensei,growlanser,superman,bomberman,shump,sonic fan

LoneReaper115
2 years ago#6
Thanks guys for all the help! Sadly I discovered my laptop isn't able to run it.

I actually do have a controller adapter that allows you to plug a dualshock 1/2 into it, but even using that I feel like I'm missing functionality by not having hotkeys and whatnot. It works really well, and I'm a bit attached to it since I've had it since the Windows 98 days lol.

Honestly it's okay that I can't run it, since eventually I'm going to build a PC that can. I really only wanted to make a few mods. The bad thing is I wanted to make one similar to ones on the nexus that aren't being ported over to console and a new one. Mainly I just wanted to be able to move the workbench at settlements and make a sound for when legendary enemies evolve using: https://youtu.be/9o19CaOSuD8

User Info: gtomanga

gtomanga
2 years ago#7
LoneReaper115 posted...
Thanks guys for all the help! Sadly I discovered my laptop isn't able to run it.

your laptop
are using windows 8 or 10?
Ys,megaman,harvest moon,sly cooper,rune factory,shin megami tensei,growlanser,superman,bomberman,shump,sonic fan

LoneReaper115
2 years ago#8
When IT reimaged it after my hard drive crashed, they put 32 bit windows 7 on it, which is definitely not what it had before. Other than that, everything seems like it would be right for it. It has an I7 and enough RAM/ video speed. It's supposed to be replaced soon, so here's hoping work goes overkill again.

User Info: Taiolu

Taiolu
2 years ago#9
LoneReaper115 posted...
When IT reimaged it after my hard drive crashed, they put 32 bit windows 7 on it, which is definitely not what it had before. Other than that, everything seems like it would be right for it. It has an I7 and enough RAM/ video speed. It's supposed to be replaced soon, so here's hoping work goes overkill again.

OS being replaced soon I hope. If you're able to find the drivers for it there is no reason why you can't do it yourself.
Not changing this sig until Mariofan15 takes his meds.
By replying to anything I say, you agree to my EULA: The demon Duke of Hell Ipos owns your soul.

User Info: Marikhen

Marikhen
2 years ago#10
Just out of curiosity, are file formats for the X-Box One in a format that allows copying them off of the disc or drive to a PC and using in the Creation Kit that way?
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Making mods for console question, would like to know before purchase please.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived