• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Is Fallout New Vegas worth playing?
amilli0nlights 5 years ago#1
Fallout 4 is my first Fallout game, I beat it on Xbox One. I finally bought a gaming PC, and now I have it on PC and i'm playing through it with mods and cheats. I absolutely LOVE this game! I think the story is great, the characters are great, the customization (with mods) is great, my PC character is so cute!

Anyway, enough of my rambling and on to the actual questions... After playing Fallout 4, is New Vegas good? It's on sale on Steam now, and I just want to know if it's worth investing the ton of hours that i'm sure it requires. Is the story good? How about the characters? Does it have an immense modding community like Skyrim? Finally how does the game stand up to the test of time? Did it age well, does it still look good, how are the combat mechanics?

I know I said enough rambling, then continued to ramble, but i'm just a rambly person, thanks in advance for any responses.
PS5: AMilli0NliGHTS_ | Switch: 4951-1316-4319 | Steam: AMilli0nliGHTS
AnygameAnytime 5 years ago#2
For its time NV was good, however stepping back from Fallout 4 you may not like it very much due to the gun-play not being anywhere near as good as Fallout 4.
(message deleted)
amilli0nlights 5 years ago#4
Holy crap, I just checked the Nexus, you're right SpaceAgeNinja, these games have a TON of mods!

The sub par gunplay does concern me though, but if the story and characters are great then I can overlook it, especially now seeing how many mods there are for it.
SpaceAgeNinja11 5 years ago#5
i deleted my comment on accident i was trying to quote, oops, yeah check out this one https://youtu.be/A0fmqSPrK20 check out this video
(message deleted)
amilli0nlights 5 years ago#7
SpaceAgeNinja11 posted...
i deleted my comment on accident i was trying to quote, oops, yeah check out this one https://youtu.be/A0fmqSPrK20 check out this video

That weapons mod looks great! For only $6.79 I think I'm gonna have to go ahead and get New Vegas Ultimate Edition.
20ME2cmpnvet 5 years ago#8
NV is awesome. The factions blow FO4 out of the water, but it lacks in graphics and gun play where FO4 exceeds. The one down side to NV is I didn't really like the world space and atmosphere. I liked FO3 and FO4 for that.

Mods are not as plenty for NV as say Skyrim. Nothing will beat the mods out for Skyrim. Well maybe FO4 when the geck comes out. Mods for Skyrim is the only reason I pumped 2500 hours in that game
Screen Archery is a Addiction https://www.flickr.com/photos/127344542@N08/
"Never touch another man's fries !!"
DuneMan 5 years ago#9
- People who played the original two games tend to prefer New Vegas. It places more emphasis on having overlapping impacts from the player's choices. You'll also see how FO4 includes features found in New Vegas that weren't in Bethesda's FO3: weapon modding, companion relationship system and perks, etc.
- The story centers on a power struggle located on the California/Nevada border between a bureaucratic government whose leadership has little interest in the Mojave(the New California Republic) and a ruthless 'might makes right' dictatorship sweeping its way toward the coast(Ceasar's Legion).
- The characters and groups are varied enough.
- Mods are bountiful, straight up to literal moon missions.
- The game is definitely a lot stiffer than FO4 though, since it is using the FO3 engine which had clunky shooting mechanics. NV does offer ADS aiming though and as long as you meet a weapon's Strength and Skill requirement you can take up a firing position that keeps your shots accurate. You can also toss grenades in VATS, which allows for some perfect ambushes.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao
WilburMercer 5 years ago#10
Yes, it's much better than Fallout 4. But it depends what drew you to Fallout. If it's 'yeeaaauh shoot stuff! blow stuff up! hold my hand through the story! Pew pew!' you probably won't like New Vegas. If you like a well built world with good writing, characters with depth, a story that requires you to dig around, talk to people and incentivises you to find out more background yourself, and quests that give you choices with consequences, you will like NV.
I used to do a lot of drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Is Fallout New Vegas worth playing?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A