• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Is survival difficulty worth it?

User Info: dendriticX

dendriticX
3 years ago#1
I think games from Bethesda were the only ones in which I haven't played at the highest difficulty.

I'm thinking about starting all over (new game) just for survival difficulty. I refuse to just change my difficulty to survival in my current playthrough; it feels like cheating, in my opinion.

User Info: OmegaSol

OmegaSol
3 years ago#2
Will I give you an inner sense of satisfaction? Then totes worth
XboxOne - OmegaSol PS4 - NEOOmegaSol Steam - NEOOmegaSol
WiiU - OmegaSol

User Info: rahxpehon

rahxpehon
3 years ago#3
It is really challenging at the beginning. Even you have better equipment later you could still be one shot by enemies if being careless.

User Info: valkod23

valkod23
3 years ago#4
dendriticX posted...
I think games from Bethesda were the only ones in which I haven't played at the highest difficulty.

I'm thinking about starting all over (new game) just for survival difficulty. I refuse to just change my difficulty to survival in my current playthrough; it feels like cheating, in my opinion.

Honestly, I would at least download the mods that even out the damage dealt and received by the player for Survival difficulty. The reason is well, bullet sponges aren't fun and legendary enemies already are bullet sponges on normal and have that awful mutation mechanic that just refills their health and all. The AI doesn't change, so it just makes fights more tedious than anything else, you'll be using that reload button more often. Legendary weapons and armor can be worth it, provided the bonus is good, like bleed damage on hit for a rapid firing weapon, or extra projectile on a powerful sniper rifle; stuff like unlimited ammo (no reloading really, not unlimited ammo like what you'd think) on a Fat Man is much less useful in comparison.
Playing Baldur's Gate Trilogy right now.
There is no Lumi, only Zul.

User Info: Pinefruit

Pinefruit
3 years ago#5
IMO not at all. Couple things why, health recovery, mob health, and the loot.

It's one thing to have enemies with 99% accuracy 2 shot you (that I'm fine with) but the recovery of health on Survival REALLY kills the pacing of the game.

The mobs are just bullet sponges on Survival. There's just something unsatisfying about blasting dudes in the head point blank with a shotgun a billion times and still having them walk around.

The loot. Survival has legendary mobs running around everywhere with guaranteed legendary drops but it's all garbage. I've found one good item in 60 hours an infinite ammo 10mm Pistol. It's like early D3 legendary bad.

I turned it down to Very Hard the other day and it's suddenly much more fun.
us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mysticfruit-1746/hero/60192763
pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Brights

User Info: mayatola

mayatola
3 years ago#6
The first deathclaw was a real pain with the minigun tickling it. Somehow I managed to finish it off with a shotgun after abusing the environment. This was after being extremely conservative with ammo against the raiders too. If that's how you wanna play, sure, start over and change it. It wasn't really as fun as I would have thought the encounter could be (actually, it felt extremely dangerous because you could die in 2-3 hits in the armor), but I'm not about to lower it after that victory.
PSN/Steam/Origin: mayatola

User Info: Triod

Triod
3 years ago#7
I like survival, it forces you to play smart instead of just charging blindly and killing everything. Just stack a bunch of damage perks and play smart and it isn't really hard. Deathclaws and sentry bots can be sponges, but they aren't anything a phycho and a bunch of jet can't kill.

Loot is pretty random, but with a legendary around every corner you'll find some amazing guns sooner or later.

User Info: deathman9

deathman9
3 years ago#8
It's great.
It basically balances out the difficulty where while you can mess with the AI cuz your smarter, the NPCs are tougher then you so it's fair.
It forces you to NOT be careless and just run around with no worries because if an enemy gets the drop on you, 8/10 times your gonna die before you react. In the lower difficulty, i found it to be too easy to bug the game and win. On survival, bugging the NPCs ( messing with their path-finding and jumping over objects and forcing enemies to walk around while you shoot ) is a legitimate tactic thats NEEDED. You MUST be maneuverable or you die.
http://www.twitch.tv/blo0dy_ruskie

User Info: The_tall_midget

The_tall_midget
3 years ago#9
deathman9 posted...
It's great.
It basically balances out the difficulty where while you can mess with the AI cuz your smarter, the NPCs are tougher then you so it's fair.

Ironic.
"FFXIV 1.0 is a great game, Tanaka and I see eye to eye. B+."
-Anyone who's insane

User Info: Vnfemmefatalis

Vnfemmefatalis
3 years ago#10
It adds a tension to the game that some could find unenjoyable, and some legendaries are bullet sponges. Basically everything is hard to kill and I'm scared of Mirelurks ambushing me.

It felt like it was worth it when I opened a chained door and proceeded to get ambushed by a pack of ghouls, I like the tension it creates.
Eat Broccoli. Eat right.
Be like water.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Is survival difficulty worth it?
  • Topic Archived