• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Fallout 5 location?
the_old_days 7 months ago#1
Where do you think Fallout 5 will be set?

Chicago or San Francisco seem most likely to me and many others.

I think the game will be set in the early 2300s, or at least the very late 2290s, in San Francisco.

The NCR will have won the Second Battle of the Hoover Dam, destroyed House, and then will have invaded Legion territory. Unfettered access to develop the Hoover Dam’s full potential staves off the collapse of the NCR civilization. Perhaps the NCR is no longer a true republic, with either General Oliver or Colonel Moore rising to serve as head of state.

There will be major pressure from the NCR to fully incorporate the semi independent territory of San Francisco. This will be one of the back drop narrative themes of the game.

Our boy Arthur Maxon, now in his 40s, will have fully reunified with the Midwest chapter, will have destroyed the remaining Midwest mutant army, and will have either destroyed or incorporated any remaining Enclave in the Midwest. They’ll have built or incorporated a new fleet of zeppelins. Other regions will have been incorporated into this emerging BoS political state, expanding its power.

The BoS - NCR war is about to heat back up in a major way; the BoS are coming over the Rockies (or will have done so already) in force to relieve the ailing West Coast chapters which, under pressure from a revitalized NCR, are facing total destruction.

Major factions would be the BoS, NCR, and the Shi.

Or, if it’s in Chicago, it will follow the full reunification of the BoS, will perhaps feature Super Mutants and Enclave being the preliminary enemy factions until a big bad emerges. Or perhaps the Enclave remnants in the Midwest are a fully joinable faction.

But I feel like San Francisco is more likely.
Who has the Palladium? Diomedes. In Hesperia.
One must not simply play the bass. One must slay the bass.
(edited 7 months ago)
c_s_tadsen 7 months ago#2
I think Fallout 5 will be in a new area because only FO1 and FO2 have had overlapping areas; every other game in the franchise- only one of which came out before FO2- has been done in a new area.

Personally, I would like to see a game set in Canada. Canada was a war-torn country before the bombs dropped, since the USA invaded and conquered it during the battles over fossil fuels; I imagine nuclear war did little to improve things. It could provide access to entirely new environments, such as actual forests and mountains instead of scattered trees and the occasional large rock; and give scope for stories placed anywhere in the Fallout timeline and the development of new game lore without needing to trample the existing lore (like various Power Armor types in FO4/FO76, BoS lore in FO:T/FO76, etc.)

I think Australia would be an interesting choice for similar reasons.
<(0.0<) <(0.0)^ ^(0.0)^ ^(0.0)> (>0.0)>==============O
"Kirby... Ka... Me... Ha... Me... HAAAAA!!!!!!"
(edited 7 months ago)
Dvs161 7 months ago#3
These games usually take place in prominent locations...well, besides West Virginia in FO76 but that was a terrible idea and I hope they learned from it.. I don't feel San Francisco is very significant or historical (sorry lol) Chicago is a large city but there's nothing there of historical significance, really. Just factories and stuff, it would be uninteresting imo.

I can see New York City as a possibility. Finally get to see the statue of liberty and go from district to district, not to mention Broadway jazz would be able to play a big part in this. An actual war on Wall Street would be pretty cool.

FYI, there have been plenty of nods to this:
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/New_York_City
Steel-type is #1. "F*** your mom and dad. Getting high and playing video games is the best." -Rick Sanchez
(edited 7 months ago)
omega_dog 7 months ago#4
The only issue with NYC is that it would have been DESTROYED it honestly would have been one of the first places hit during a nuclear attack it's a large metropolitan area with a large condensed population into the MILLIONS and it's a coastline city and the Statue of Liberty would have been a prime target
Wo doen' ov agood mth ad?
(edited 7 months ago)
Dvs161 7 months ago#5
omega_dog posted...
The only issue with NYC is that it would have been DESTROYED it honestly would have been one of the first places hit during a nuclear attack it's a large metropolitan area with a large condensed population into the MILLIONS and it's a coastline city and the Statue of Liberty would have been a prime target
I direct you to Fallout 3 which took place at the US capitol lol

if they did DC they could do NYC for sure
Steel-type is #1. "F*** your mom and dad. Getting high and playing video games is the best." -Rick Sanchez
omega_dog 7 months ago#6
Dvs161 posted...
I direct you to Fallout 3 which took place at the US capitol lol

if they did DC they could do NYC for sure
Yeah they NEVER should have done DC honestly I don't think Bethesda had ANY IDEA of what the Lore of the game was when they made 3🙄
Dvs161 7 months ago#7
omega_dog posted...
Yeah they NEVER should have done DC honestly I don't think Bethesda had ANY IDEA of what the Lore of the game was when they made 3🙄
Wasn't Fallout 4 supposed to be in NYC before they changed it? I read they still have some of the maps for it.

If the writers are good enough, anything is possible. There have been god-like entities in Fallout games like Robert House, if there's someone like that who was able to preserve Wall Street and some other prominent NYC districts, it would be believable.
the_old_days 7 months ago#8
There isn’t any actual official canon on the post-apocalyptic state of NYC other than that it was hit. They could do whatever they want.

A few interesting notes though:

Chicago is the only location to be referenced in all the 3D games; Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4, and even 76.

While most of the events of Fallout Tactics are no longer canonical, Bethesda did retain the lore of at least one BoS zeppelin reaching the city.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Chicago

Though, lookey here, NYC gets about as many mentions, though I don’t think they are as direct or as important to extant lore as the Chicago references are.

New York City is mentioned in Fallout 3, the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Dead Money, Fallout 4 and its add-on Far Harbor, Fallout 76 and its updateWastelanders, as well as Fallout Bible 0.

• During the early planning of Fallout 4, New York was discussed as a possible location for the game, and a design document was produced by Emil Pagliarulo with this idea in mind. The developers instead chose Boston as the location for the game, but have kept the design document on file.[Non-game 2]
I suppose this does make it a strong candidate. Though perhaps they make NYC the setting of a future 76 expansion, like what they are doing with the Pitt (though it seems that if the BoS is present in the Pitt as far back as 2102, it kind of mucks up their lore with the Scourge in 2255).

NYC is also quite a ways away from the FO76 location, but they could still do it if they wanted to.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/New_York_City

In the lore for the original Fallout 3, Project Van Buren, San Francisco was to have been nuked by the Enclave following the events of Fallout 2.

When Obsidian was developing New Vegas they planned to incorporate this lore, but Bethesda made them change it as they wanted San Francisco to stay viable for potential future game locations.

• Originally, Fallout: New Vegas was going to feature a line of dialogue stating that San Francisco had been destroyed since the events of Fallout 2. Bethesda asked for Obsidian to remove this line, however, so that the city could be used as a potential future location for the series.[Non-game 5]
San Francisco appears only in Fallout 2. Its aquarium is mentioned in the Fallout 3 add-on Broken Steel. The city's Golden Gate Bridge appears in the Atomic Command game in Fallout 4, and through Kellogg's memories, as the Golden Gate is seen out of the window. It is also mentioned in Fallout 76 as part of the Patriotism Training at Camp McClintock[5], as well as in the updateWild Appalachia.[6] The city was also going to be mentioned in Van Buren.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/San_Francisco

All the San Francisco references in 4 still lead me to believe that it will be the setting.

San Francisco Sunlights, “I don’t know boy, you think this is enough to go off of?”

And Kellogg’s childhood, the Golden Gate Bridge, Hubologists, references to the NCR, and more. It’s a lot, much heavier than the Commonwealth references in Fallout 3.
(edited 7 months ago)
omega_dog 7 months ago#9
Let's be honest Hollywood, Los Vegas, NYC, and DC would have honestly have been removed from the map and even if they weren't destroyed in the nuclear attack NYC wouldn't be habitable one hit at it would have caused the buildings to collapse like dominos. And that's just it any large area like NYC, San Francisco, LA, etc. Wouldn't survive a nuclear attack because everything would collapse upon itself.
the_old_days 7 months ago#10
Sure. But it’s a video game series.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Fallout 5 location?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A