• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Factions?? New player question

User Info: renzokuken99

renzokuken99
1 month ago#1
I’m on my first playthrough and trying to go without guides as much as I can. My question is about factions.

They are asking me to join the Minutemen, and I know there’s others like Brotherhood of Steel. My question is do any of these conflict with each other? My hope is that I can just help everybody, take every quest, etc without locking me out of certain factions or questlines.

What should I know about factions going in?
FFRK RW: Divine Veil Grimoire/Godwall -- KcKu
"Where were you Childs?"

User Info: Ultima_1nfinity

Ultima_1nfinity
1 month ago#2
They won't lock you out. Join away.

User Info: Venghar

Venghar
1 month ago#3
renzokuken99 posted...
I’m on my first playthrough and trying to go without guides as much as I can. My question is about factions.

They are asking me to join the Minutemen, and I know there’s others like Brotherhood of Steel. My question is do any of these conflict with each other? My hope is that I can just help everybody, take every quest, etc without locking me out of certain factions or questlines.

What should I know about factions going in?

Haven’t played in a while so my memory can be a bit fuzzy about this.
I believe you can join them all, but after some quests for some they will lock you out of some others.
some also involve perks you can get or get locked out of from companions.

I don’t think you can get info on that if you want to do a spoiler free playthrough.
If you don’t mind about spoilers there’s a lot of info on this subject how to interact with factions and how to get all possible perks in the game.

Just joining the minutemen at the start doesn’t conflict with anything as far as I know
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

User Info: AsIfByMagic

AsIfByMagic
1 month ago#4
You can join them all and do side quests, but there'll come a point in the main quest where they start to conflict. This isn't like Skyrim or whatever where the factions are entirely separate from that stuff (if you played New Vegas, it's about halfway between that and Skyrim).

User Info: Excalibur

Excalibur
1 month ago#5
If your main concern is not pissing anyone off and having full access to everyone and everywhere, that is quite easy to do, especially if you end up picking the Minutemen. The important thing here is that despite the fact that you are clearly joining these factions, the only bit that actually matters is the one you choose to help you get into the Institute near the end of the main quest line. Before that you can do all sorts of quests for everyone and nothing will conflict. (And the point where you must choose is very clearly telegraphed.) And as I mentioned, picking the Minutemen is the easiest way to stay on everyone's good side.

They really wanted the Minutemen to be your "oops I shot everyone" backup, so they're always available. In fact, the only way to get anywhere close to being on their bad side involves the Nuka World DLC. The Railroad don't care about them at all, and the Brotherhood will grumble about your choice, but that's all.

Naturally, the Brotherhood and the Railroad are the tricky ones here. Unless I'm forgetting some trick, picking one involves pissing off or destroying the other, so avoid them. There are also ways to accidentally aggro one of them, most notably by bringing certain companions to the Railroad HQ, but as long as you're being smart about how you play this shouldn't be an issue.

There's also the fourth option, siding with the Institute. This will lock you out of quite a bit and a LOT of people will be upset with you, but there's also a good chunk of stuff that's only available here, including a whole companion. This is also the odd one out in that you have to make this choice after you've already chosen one of the other three to help get you into the Institute to begin with. This is something you'll likely want to do on a future playthrough, and luckily enough the choice is quite clear to see coming.
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 month ago#6
You can totally get the institute follower and not get locked out of the other factions. Infact you can even complete one of the questlines with that follower which is not the institute ending.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

User Info: Veezara

Veezara
1 month ago#7
If you are going for completion, I think the only way to get Danse's perk is to build the teleporter with the Brotherhood of Steel. His affinity is capped until you have completed a quest. Blind Betreyal, after it if you want to finish allied with the Railroad don't talk to Kels, beng given the next quest cuts your alliegence with them. His perk is quite a good one to get, more damage to Synths, Super Mutants and Ghouls. Unfortunately it's quite late in the game you get it.
Deacon and Preston's affinity aren't capped, once the become followers they can idolise if you do things they like. X6, once you get him you can jump in a set of power armour, jump out, wait 2 hours repeat.

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
4 weeks ago#8
Veezara posted...
If you are going for completion, I think the only way to get Danse's perk is to build the teleporter with the Brotherhood of Steel. His affinity is capped until you have completed a quest. Blind Betreyal, after it if you want to finish allied with the Railroad don't talk to Kels, beng given the next quest cuts your alliegence with them. His perk is quite a good one to get, more damage to Synths, Super Mutants and Ghouls. Unfortunately it's quite late in the game you get it.
Deacon and Preston's affinity aren't capped, once the become followers they can idolise if you do things they like. X6, once you get him you can jump in a set of power armour, jump out, wait 2 hours repeat.
You do not need to build the teleporter with the BoS to get his perk. Blind Betrayal merely caps your ability to get any more affinity with Danse until it's completed, in a certain way of course.
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Factions?? New player question
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A