You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. made a comment elsewhere about some of the best weapons in the game, shared here

User Info: leeman3104

leeman3104
1 week ago#11
@tomo012 posted...
I am currently save scumming the legendary radroach at the Concord Civic Access for an instigating pipe bolt action.

tbh i feel like the pipe bolt action's not really enough damage for wanting an instigating version, but eh, you do you.

at the very least, it won't be some insanely good gun that'll basically last the whole game, if that's sorta what you want. it'll be able to carry you a while as a strong stopping gun with sneaking and crits, potentially. otherwise, the normal pipe pistol with wounding would be better.
https://imgur.com/a/cZzvkKn jrpg is referring to a genre, not the location it was made.
https://imgur.com/a/QjeVqSD me versus sjw/antisjw/censorship stuff
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: Olld-Onne

Olld-Onne
1 week ago#12
Any gun can carry you through the game if your built for it. Well except the Junk Jet. :)
you haven't set a signature for the message boards yet!

leeman3104
1 week ago#13
@Olld-Onne posted...
Any gun can carry you through the game if your built for it. Well except the Junk Jet. :)

sure, but we're talking about some of the 'best' guns. and the junk jet can work fine, just like you can beat the game with nothing but an unmodded pipe gun, if you really wanted to. it'll be a PITA, but you CAN.

but just because it's feasible, doesn't mean it's the 'best'. some guns are just broken good.
https://imgur.com/a/cZzvkKn jrpg is referring to a genre, not the location it was made.
(edited 1 week ago)

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
1 week ago#14
Olld-Onne posted...
Any gun can carry you through the game if your built for it.

Eh... it's a painful thing though... Like, for fun I tried to kill a Mirelurk Queen using the Exterminator's Solar Cannon. It worked, eventually, but even with the 50% more damage to Mirelurks it took way too long. Compare that to 1-2 shots from a Gauss Rifle and it's clear that one weapon is clearly superior to the other for combat.

The only thing that 40 pound 'rifle' has going for it is that it's semi-silent, despite the glowing projectiles that streak across the sky. Well, that and incendiary damage, so it's easy to find corpses in the grass afterward by following the flames.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

User Info: Dimeron

Dimeron
1 week ago#15
Wounding is generally considered one of the best prefixes, but sometimes it can be outclassed by other prefixes on certain weapons.

For ripper, with enough strength and melee perks, the furious prefix is the best bar none. Wounding doesn't even come close to power of furious ripper. Only weapons like instigating/furious rocket sledge hammer/bat/disciple cutlass can match its power. Even then, against really high hp enemies, furious ripper will eventually out-scale any weapon with the exception of problem solver/splatter cannon.

Freezing ripper with enough melee perks will also outdamage wounding ripper, and with Overdrive drug, it is hilariously fun. You literally freeze everything within seconds. Samething applies to freezing automatic guns with Overdrive.

Two shot plasma thrower will out damage wounding plasma thrower. It is not even a contest.

Explosive mini gun will deal more damage, but in practice, I find explosive combat shotgun much easier to use. It has no spin up time, it is more ammo efficient, and ammo is lighter, cheaper, and much more plentiful.

Kneecapper on shotguns and automatic weapons will pretty much cripple anything after a few seconds of shooting. Make any sort of melee enemies like Deathclaws easy picking.

Problem Solver/Splatter Cannon, as previously mentioned, are the best DPS against high hp enemies due to its furious prefix (they are the only guns which can have furious prefix, thus the brokenness).

User Info: DuneMan

DuneMan
1 week ago#16
Dimeron posted...
ammo is lighter, cheaper, and much more plentiful.

To get free Minigun ammo you need to orchestrate fights against Super Mutants such that you kill the one holding the Minigun first and then wait for other Mutants to loot the weapon before killing them. Do that and you can easily get 2,000 rounds from one group of Mutants.

If you have Contraptions Workshop then 5mm rounds can be made in batches of 10 for 1 Fertilizer and 2 Steel. The cheapest Fertilizer comes from Connie Abernathy, who sells 2 batches at a discount. Steel is common from Cans/Tin Cans so find areas with Can Traps and disarm them for 18 Steel each.

I forget but you can also check unmarked vendors like Eleanor to see if they have extra 5mm ammunition. She also sells at a discount if you rescue her dog Teddy. I know she's a go-to for characters using .44 ammo as she usually carries 100-150 rounds.

As for using the Explosive Minigun, don't forget that you can treat it a bit like you would when fighting Ferals. By that I mean, go for the legs to slow enemies down. Once they're slowed you can light them up without reservation.
"I'd rather betray the world than let the world betray me." -Cao Cao

Olld-Onne
1 week ago#17
Keyword was carry. You can but sometimes it's better to get it over with. :)

User Info: tomo012

tomo012
1 week ago#18
leeman3104 posted...
@tomo012 posted...
I am currently save scumming the legendary radroach at the Concord Civic Access for an instigating pipe bolt action.

tbh i feel like the pipe bolt action's not really enough damage for wanting an instigating version, but eh, you do you.

at the very least, it won't be some insanely good gun that'll basically last the whole game, if that's sorta what you want. it'll be able to carry you a while as a strong stopping gun with sneaking and crits, potentially. otherwise, the normal pipe pistol with wounding would be better.

Oh, you're most definitely right and I agree to an extent but once you turn the bolt action into a .50 it's a ridiculously OP arm cannon that will rival any legit sniper rifle. The Instigating prefix is just icing on the cake and probably overkill on a stealth/sneak build which is what I'm going for. I did manage to get it last night and I know this seems a bit excessive but probably took about 5 hours or so. Not gonna lie -I was tempted to give up when I came across the plasma-infused prefix just for s***s and giggles. ;P
I haven't played FO4 in three years since doing everything I wanted to in the vanilla game so I decided to do a new survival playthrough and tackle all the DLC I didn't before.
-The biggest oxymoron ever is an open-minded liberal.
(edited 1 week ago)

leeman3104
1 week ago#19
tomo012 posted...
leeman3104 posted...
@tomo012 posted...

Oh, you're most definitely right and I agree to an extent but once you turn the bolt action into a .50 it's a ridiculously OP arm cannon that will rival any legit sniper rifle. The Instigating prefix is just icing on the cake and probably overkill on a stealth/sneak build which is what I'm going for. I did manage to get it last night and I know this seems a bit excessive but probably took about 5 hours or so. Not gonna lie -I was tempted to give up when I came across the plasma-infused prefix just for s***s and giggles. ;P
I haven't played FO4 in three years since doing everything I wanted to in the vanilla game so I decided to do a new survival playthrough and tackle all the DLC I didn't before.

tbh other snipers still do more damage, though. rival, sure, but they'll do more. it's definitely a very nice early option, however.

actually, looking at it, it's not nearly a drastic difference as i thought. the lever action pipe gun's basically the same as a hunting rifle, has a similar base damage and best receiver, even converting to .50 cal, the level action rifle's got the wonky ammo, and the gauss rifle is both really heavy and a really high level gun, as well as having rarer ammo. there's not a ton of weapons going past 50 damage to begin with, you could have this as a sniper weapon for a gunslinger build, which would probably make you not want to use more powerful rifles, etc.

it's a gun you could get early as f***, be fully modified by gun nut 2, get a silencer for it from trudy near the start of the game, so even without gun nut, you can start a sneak build easily, if you're doing a VATS build can be modded for low VATS usage easier than like, a hunting rifle, etc. i can entirely see it working.

Olld-Onne
1 week ago#20
leeman3104 posted...
tomo012 posted...
leeman3104 posted...
@tomo012 posted...

tbh other snipers still do more damage, though. rival, sure, but they'll do more. it's definitely a very nice early option, however.

actually, looking at it, it's not nearly a drastic difference as i thought. the lever action pipe gun's basically the same as a hunting rifle, has a similar base damage and best receiver, even converting to .50 cal, the level action rifle's got the wonky ammo, and the gauss rifle is both really heavy and a really high level gun, as well as having rarer ammo. there's not a ton of weapons going past 50 damage to begin with, you could have this as a sniper weapon for a gunslinger build, which would probably make you not want to use more powerful rifles, etc.

it's a gun you could get early as f***, be fully modified by gun nut 2, get a silencer for it from trudy near the start of the game, so even without gun nut, you can start a sneak build easily, if you're doing a VATS build can be modded for low VATS usage easier than like, a hunting rifle, etc. i can entirely see it working.

See. :p
  1. Boards
  2. Fallout 4
  3. made a comment elsewhere about some of the best weapons in the game, shared here