• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  3. Are physical copies of this game rare?

User Info: mrHowlll

mrHowlll
3 months ago#1
It seems to me that physical copies of DQ8 on 3DS are relatively expensive. I want to give this game a try eventually.
Smash most wanted: Klonoa, Sora, Dante, Travis Touchdown, Krystal, & Ray
I'd love to see a Bloody Roar 5 or Bloody Roar reboot for Nintendo Switch

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
3 months ago#2
mrHowlll posted...
It seems to me that physical copies of DQ8 on 3DS are relatively expensive. I want to give this game a try eventually.

Thanks to COVID19 especially, prices on rarer items have gone up, especially for more wanted games. This being one. This is also the best version of DQ8 by a fair margin.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.

User Info: Linkz1

Linkz1
3 months ago#3
I bought one at eBay for $40 months ago before the COVID-19 hit.

mrHowlll
3 months ago#4
I got a copy on eBay for $53. The bid wasn't idle too long.
Smash MW: Klonoa, Sora, Dante, Travis Touchdown, Krystal, & Ray mk3

User Info: Garetjax333

Garetjax333
3 months ago#5
Just snagged a new copy from Amazon. Little pricy, but sooooo worth it.
The good ol' days never existed. It's the coverage of negative news that increased significantly. www.goodnewsnetwork.org
FFRK ID# GfRd Tyro DVG

User Info: ecylis

ecylis
2 months ago#6
I doubt it's rare exactly, but resellers have certainly started taking advantage of the fact that new copies aren't available from retailers anymore. When XI came out you could still buy VIII directly from Amazon for $40. Almost as soon as they ran out the prices started going up.
http://i.imgur.com/UgOcJQG.jpg

User Info: LunarKnights

LunarKnights
2 months ago#7
got mine for $45 bucks on ebay. Although, I did make a habit checking new items listed
3DS: 2621-3481-6230
Mayor Nolan of Gondor

User Info: WizardofHoth

WizardofHoth
1 month ago#8
I dont think Dragon Quest 8 3DS game is rare or hard to find. I still see at least 5 copies of the game still on clearance at Walmart when I do my monthly out of town road trip shoppin getc.

While YOU may think Dragon Quest 8 is "rare" where you cant find it in stores... realize this. Stores are getting rid or trying to of Nintendo 3DS games to make room for Nintendo Switch games.

Im just lucky to find a few Dragon Quest 8 still in the Nintendo games cabinet in the Walmart store.

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
1 month ago#9
WizardofHoth posted...
I dont think Dragon Quest 8 3DS game is rare or hard to find. I still see at least 5 copies of the game still on clearance at Walmart when I do my monthly out of town road trip shoppin getc.

While YOU may think Dragon Quest 8 is "rare" where you cant find it in stores... realize this. Stores are getting rid or trying to of Nintendo 3DS games to make room for Nintendo Switch games.

Im just lucky to find a few Dragon Quest 8 still in the Nintendo games cabinet in the Walmart store.

Depends on where you live. There is nothing within 50 miles of me, and I don't feel like checking further out. It's been that way for months now, since at least April or May. Not in Walmart, not in Target, not in Gamestop. It's not available online, so their online-only warehouses, nationwide, are empty.

Meaning the only thing left are individual stores here and there that have some stock left-over. Eventually that will get moved to the warehouses, and the online portal will show them available once again, but only until that's sold out. That's once they decide to remove all 3DS stock left on shelves, given the 3DS and 2DS are no longer active systems.

So yes, I would say it is already reaching "rare" levels. The market hasn't quite hit that part yet, as DQ doesn't have quite the traction as say...Persona does, given how much buzz P5 generated, especially with continued sales, and that based on the only data we have for distribution %, P5 is much more popular in the US.

As a result, ALL Shin Megami Tensie games and virtually every spinoff, is now over $100, and I'm kicking myself because I didn't have the funds when they were cheap. Though it isn't bleeding off into Atlus, as EO games haven't budged.

So while DQ games are seeing spikes in prices (and they're noticeable, +20~50%), it's nothing like Persona, and "new" is very hard to come by, especially for out of print games, at a reasonable cost. That's now rare, not due to print number, but market demand.

In terms of prints and availability, DQ8 is probably closer to Persona 3 + FES and maybe SMT 4 + Apocalypse. Not as much market demand as Persona, but like persona, it's very hard to find reasonable prices outside an ebay seller, or the potential chance you check a particular brick and mortar that still has a copy.

However, for copies outside of finding it from official retailers, Amazon is fairly consistent with other market 3rd party seller prices who aren't the original official retailers, but those who bought a ton of stock from main retailers at wholesale prices:

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B017W16ZUI?context=search

If you check 3rd party new and used, you'll find certain trends towards certain games. DQ8 being one of the DQ games with the highest demand, and thus the highest spikes in prices. Especially as DQ11 spreads ever wider...slowly, but surely expanding the Western fanbase, ESPECIALLY in the US. It's probably now on par with DQ8 in Europe and Australia combined, but it's way over DQ8 in the US, and we're seeing trends in older DQ game sales that coincide more with DQ11.

If we check DQ 5, we see an interesting pattern.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B001NJMMHG?context=search

1. DQ5's initial spike in prices came on the heels of DQ9's popularity.
  2. The second spike coincides with the start of the DQ7 3DS campaigns, and died down after SE reprinted the game for their stores, due to new attention (and SE was restructuring with a new President, and with a new plan to restart DQ in the West). You could order it until about 2~3 years ago. This would coincide with renewed DQ interest from general non-DQ fans, likely a lot of disenfranchised FF fans, looking for a real TB experience, and how many fans would recommend DQV.
  3. The third spike is after DQ11's release, and continues forward, though it's consistent with a limited supply as SE stopped selling it just prior, and DQ demand has since gone up.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B002I0EH6I?context=search

DQ9 sees a similar spike in price coinciding with DQ11.

My point being, the spike is also based on limited supply. Again, those few stores you're still seeing games in, will soon disappear. If I had the cash, I'd love to drive out and find every store that had a copy for clearance, then resell at $40 for a fair profit margin. Probably saving an extra copy.

So it's a general trend that indicates rarity and demand.
Life can be unexpected. Embrace and prepare for anything.

mrHowlll
1 month ago#10
How rare or common might Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 be? I am loving the monster collecting in DQ8.
Oh and for main story progress I just witnessed Marta be killed by Evil Sir Leopold.
Smash MW: Klonoa, Sora, Dante, Krystal, & Ray 01 (Custom Robo)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  3. Are physical copies of this game rare?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

How do I get into Alexandria Tower? General2 Answers
how do i beat (rhapthorne)? Enemy/Boss3 Answers
Magic Key chests? Side Quest2 Answers
Lost sight of Empryea's Shadow? Side Quest2 Answers
Cameron's Codex 022 Morrie's Minions help? Side Quest1 Answer