• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Free Games
  3. Free Games Friends, a guide to our Discord server.

User Info: TroutPaste

TroutPaste
2 months ago#1
I'll have to repost links, because they expire... starting in the 2nd post. Many of you have already seen this in the past week, and thank you for joining (if you did). I'll usually reference it in the topics for new games... this is the last time I'll write a full blown topic on it. Sorry if this is a repeat, I swear it's the last time. This board will continue to be maintained as it always has been... only it's a chance to have non-GameFAQs or ex-GameFAQs friends in the same place.

Started this project in the past week. I think the mechanics are finally down. First of all, absolutely no racism, homophobia, transphobia, sexism, insulting for religious/atheistic beliefs, politics/culture war, ableism, special needs words/comments, etc. This isn't meant to be an uncensored place... it's for video games and mature conversation. There's certainly other places to do that, on the internet... right? Don't do it here.

If you subscribe to this board, you receive an @ message. Only it's for any topic made (which is why the people making topics are limited to myself, ER, and a few others). We have a new evolution of that, on the Discord. We're using the "Role" feature to differentiate between what you want. So far, we have Steam, GOG, Epic Games, Humble Bundle, PSN, Xbox, Nintendo, Amazon/Twitch and Fanatical. You can opt for as many of those as you want... or none of them, it's not required for the chatroom. In that case, you would receive a notification for it. If you only want Steam and Nintendo, check those. Or GOG and PSN. Any combination you want. Only admin can send out @ messages, there won't be a bogus ping.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/4/1/4/AAWRr4AACMe2.png

Simple as that. Click your own profile, choose the ones you want. Can add and unadd at any time.

Here's a screenshot of the "Role" message boards.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/6/6/4/AAWRr4AACNRo.png

The channel itself is locked, but each new post will have a thread... which any member can discuss in. that's where I'll post Youtube links and all that good stuff... especially for bundles, never done that on GameFAQs before.

And of course, we have a general, video game chat, and a few special interests topics. I pride myself in the new MEE6 level prompt, and consider it the best in the world.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/a/user_image/6/6/5/AAWRr4AACNRp.png

1up mushroom + Mario & Luigi GIF. Can't beat that.
(message deleted)

User Info: Supremo

Supremo
2 months ago#3
What's the advantage of a Discord channel? It's a genuine question, I'm not being ironic.

I noticed a lot of people are doing this Discord thing so I'm curious as to what it offers.
"If I started working at Nintendo instead of Sega, I would have already quit the videogame industry." - Toshihiro Nagoshi

TroutPaste
2 months ago#4
Supremo posted...
What's the advantage of a Discord channel?

I dunno, accessibility. Mobile access, easier formatting, chatroom style communications, voice chat, bot/mod commands. It's mostly for people who already use Discord on a regular basis

User Info: EvilResident

EvilResident
2 months ago#5
Appreciate all the time you put into making all this happen. I know it’s not easy.

This board sure has grown even since I’ve first discovered it! :)
---

User Info: Yomi

Yomi
2 months ago#6
You can generate a permanent invite link by clicking "Edit invite link", setting it to never expire and to have an unlimited number of uses.
https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/208866998-Invites-101
Chez moi, il fait beau.

TroutPaste
2 months ago#7
Yomi posted...
You can generate a permanent invite link by clicking "Edit invite link", setting it to never expire and to have an unlimited number of uses.
https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/208866998-Invites-101

that's a good idea. thanks

TroutPaste
2 months ago#8
Although at the same time, an expiring link is kinda helpful

Is there a way to disable that particular link? The infinite one. I wonder if there's a log of them somewhere in the settings

User Info: Yomi

Yomi
2 months ago#9
TroutPaste posted...
Is there a way to disable that particular link? The infinite one. I wonder if there's a log of them somewhere in the settings
Yes. Check the last part of the link in my previous post.
Server Settings > User Management > Invites

There you can see your active invite links and, by hovering over any of them, you can permanently delete any invite link.
Chez moi, il fait beau.

TroutPaste
2 months ago#10
Yomi posted...
Yes. Check the last part of the link in my previous post.
Server Settings > User Management > Invites

There you can see your active invite links and, by hovering over any of them, you can permanently delete any invite link.

That's awesome.

1. Boards
  2. Free Games
  3. Free Games Friends, a guide to our Discord server.
  • Post New Message