You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Some Side Scrolling Horror Games...

User Info: Mr_Mason_W2DS

Mr_Mason_W2DS
1 week ago#1
Wanted to reply to another topic, but it was archived. There are some legitimately creepy side scrollers out there, and these are some I find really worth considering:

1. Clock Tower: The First Fear - This one goes all the way to 1995, and predates even Resident Evil. It's a Run & Hide game, but has a stylish Argento-esque flare. It's point snd click, but all the action is 2-dimensional side to side.

2. The Creeping Terror - This 3DS game is VERY much a homage to Clock Tower, perhaps even intentionally down to its initials, CT. Unlike Clock Tower, it isn't a point and click game but aside from that the gameplay works very similarly. It's not as compelling or vibrant as Clock Tower, and for some reason feels a bit more forgettable, but it's definitely worth multiple plays.

3. Lone Survivor - A game that, even being a 2D side scroller, feels almost IDENTICAL to playing one of the early Silent Hill titles. There is ammo conservation, resource management, map consultation, puzzle solving, backtracking, darkness and flashlights, sinewy monsters, etc. The game's 2D environments manage to feel just as complex and deep as the 3D environments in the series that clearly inspired the creator.

4. Home - Less stylish or polished than Lone Survivor, and in fact possibly lacking in any real threat to the character's life, this 8-bit horror is still moody, and the fact that your different decisions affect the outcome is neat. It's not a favorite, but it was worth playing.

5. The Coma: Recut - This game is a run and hide game, in basic premise like Clock Tower or The Creeping Terror, but it is actually quite a bit more polished than the Creeping Terror in storytelling and fluid gameplay. It's the story of a student stuck in an alternate dimension version of his school, where real life people have dark counterparts, especially his favorite teacher, whose counterpart is a vicious, increasingly Lovecraftian abomination wielding various weapons with which she chases him down relentlessly. Like Lone Survivor, this game utilizes maps very well, and manages to make it's 2D environments feel as complex and almost even mazelike as any 3D Survival Horror. The game has a manga-like art style, but somehow manages to feel twisted and scary despite that cartoonish design. Trust me, at least look at a preview before dismissing it for that!

6. Detention - A heart wrenching and creepy game about a school girl who, quite similarly to the boy in The Coma, finds herself trapped in an alternate version of her school. However, where The Coma evokes Lovecraft-meets-Clock Tower-meets-horror-anime in its atmosphere, Detention evokes Silent Hill-meets-Fatal Frame-meets-Rule of Rose. The puzzles are VERY reminiscent of Silent Hill. No shooting or fighting, but also not much "run and hide" so much as finding ways to evade enemies and then move on, such as planting "offerings to the dead" to distract ghosts so that you can walk by them while they feast.

So there you have it. Several side scrollers that, in my opinion, are very interesting, and several of them are just as good, in my opinion, as any AAA three dimensional offering.
(edited 1 week ago)
Thanks for your informative topic. I'm also a fan of side-scrollers. yeah, some side-scrollers and indie titles are even better than some triple-A ones.

I also wanted to add 'Little nightmares' to your list. It's a nice horror side-scroller with nice visuals.

'A puzzle-platformer horror adventure game for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. The game received positive reviews upon release with critics praising the atmosphere, graphics, and sound.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Nightmares

Official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y27KjX_FRk4
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity
(edited 1 week ago)

Mr_Mason_W2DS
1 week ago#3
lightningxiii-2 posted...
Thanks for your informative topic. I'm also a fan of side-scrollers. yeah, some side-scrollers and indie titles are even better than some triple-A ones.

I also wanted to add 'Little nightmares' to your list. It's a nice horror side-scroller with nice visuals.

'A puzzle-platformer horror adventure game for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One. The game received positive reviews upon release with critics praising the atmosphere, graphics, and sound.'

Official trailer:

Ah, I've heard about that quite a bit! I just didn't realize it was a side scroller, for some reason!
Mr_Mason_W2DS posted...
lightningxiii-2 posted...

Official trailer:

Ah, I've heard about that quite a bit! I just didn't realize it was a side scroller, for some reason!

You'd better try it! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
1 week ago#5
There are the Chzo Mythos games, 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic and 6 Days a Sacrifice, though these are actually point and click rather than side scroller.

However they tie in with a roguelike sidescroller by the same guy called The Consuming Shadow. In this Lovecraftian (well, Chzo Mythos, which is obviously a tribute to Lovecraft) game, you need to travel to locations where you fight unpleasant monsters in silhouette and try to deduce which eldritch horror is trying to break into our world. I haven't played this myself yet, but I have watched numerous playthroughs, and it is really cool.
(edited 1 week ago)

Mr_Mason_W2DS
1 week ago#6
darthcorpse posted...
There are the Chzo Mythos games, 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic and 6 Days a Sacrifice, though these are actually point and click rather than side scroller.

However they tie in with a roguelike sidescroller by the same guy called The Consuming Shadow. In this Lovecraftian (well, Chzo Mythos, which is obviously a tribute to Lovecraft) game, you need to travel to locations where you fight unpleasant monsters in silhouette and try to deduce which eldritch horror is trying to break into our world. I haven't played this myself yet, but I have watched numerous playthroughs, and it is really cool.

Wow, cool! Yeah, I was actually considering including the Chzo Mythos, as I've played all four core games, but like yourself I found d it didn't seem quite a side scroller, not just because of point and click (I included Clock Tower) but because as I recall your gameplay movements could involve free roaming into the background. But it was a great series!!

darthcorpse
1 week ago#7
Mr_Mason_W2DS posted...
darthcorpse posted...

Wow, cool! Yeah, I was actually considering including the Chzo Mythos, as I've played all four core games, but like yourself I found d it didn't seem quite a side scroller, not just because of point and click (I included Clock Tower) but because as I recall your gameplay movements could involve free roaming into the background. But it was a great series!!

You could be right about the free roaming, it's been a couple years since I played them. They were awesome! I want to check out Trillby's Notes too

User Info: StoneyEyedPunk

StoneyEyedPunk
1 week ago#8
darthcorpse posted...
You could be right about the free roaming, it's been a couple years since I played them. They were awesome! I want to check out Trillby's Notes too

You should check out the first Trilby game, too, if you haven't already. It's not horror but a really good stealth game.
You a rat, that's a cool thing to a cat.

darthcorpse
1 week ago#9
StoneyEyedPunk posted...
darthcorpse posted...

You should check out the first Trilby game, too, if you haven't already. It's not horror but a really good stealth game.

Stealth isn't usually my poison, but I'll try to check it out!

User Info: cador

cador
1 week ago#10
Why so many bad reviews of the coma:recut though? I was going to get it either way but now I'm curious since you said it was better than the creeping terror which I enjoyed.
"Corn-cob-man? There's a lot of sick people in this town."- Red Guy
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Some Side Scrolling Horror Games...