You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Horror games that weren't that scary

User Info: ABXYLR

ABXYLR
4 weeks ago#1
Not every horror game can be pants wettingly horrifying. Some oversell it, overdo it, or just aren't scary at all. For instance, I have played the first 3 Silent Hill games and for me the only one that was actually scary was the first one, the other two was just kinda meh. I mean, I see why some people would think 2 and 3 are scary but they just felt more disturbing than scary.
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!" - Dracula, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 1997

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
4 weeks ago#2
I guess Cursed Mountain for me. I mean, I love that game...It has a great plot, a creepy and lonely atmosphere, and gameplay I (mostly) enjoyed (I am a weird one that doesn't mind motion controls when they work). But it didn't freak me out that much. But hey, it is probably a good thing if a game doesn't rely on jump scares. The atmosphere was disturbing enough.

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
4 weeks ago#3
*Cry of Fear--Not scary, just loud (technically this is a fanmade mod, but still, I see its name pop up whenever horror games are mentioned).

*System Shock 2--Too goofy to be considered scary (even at the time it was released. Now it's dated and goofy). Aliens vs Predator 1 came out the same year, and that game blows SysShock 2 out of the water in terms of creating tension and dread.

*Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs--The first game was great and scary, the sequel is neither. I blame the fact that the sequel was made by an entirely different company than the first.

*Condemned 2: Bloodshot--See the above. However, Monolith created both Condemned 1 and 2, so they just fubar'ed it.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
4 weeks ago#4
I can always appreciate a nice well-designed horror game with a creepy atmosphere, even if it's not actually that scary.
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: GundamMonX

GundamMonX
4 weeks ago#5
Completely forgot one that I finished not too long ago. Kholat.
"If Keanu Reeves didn't look so non-Asian, he would never have made it into Hollywood."--LuminescentRule

User Info: TongYoon

TongYoon
4 weeks ago#6
Haunting Ground. Not scary at all

User Info: VisionRing30

VisionRing30
3 weeks ago#7
GundamMonX posted...
Completely forgot one that I finished not too long ago. Kholat.

I recently finished Kholat as well, and I agree, not very scary. Although there are some enemies it mostly feels like a walking simulator, and I find those types of horror games less scary in general. Plus, the setting was so pretty to look at it made me feel at peace, not scared.

I'd also add Calling for the Wii as a horror game that started with some promise and then completely fell apart. The biggest issue it has is that it becomes predictable, which is a death sentence for horror.
"Laughter is the countdown of devastation."- Killer 7, end of Sunset

User Info: JetJenkins

JetJenkins
2 weeks ago#8
P.T.
"My carriage is being prepared, I will be there at dusk; the adherents of the wheel will suffer" - the Queen's Fool

User Info: lightningxiii-2

lightningxiii-2
2 weeks ago#9
JetJenkins posted...
P.T.

Really? I thought it was one of the scariest ever made!
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity
(edited 2 weeks ago)

User Info: JetJenkins

JetJenkins
2 weeks ago#10
lightningxiii-2 posted...
JetJenkins posted...
P.T.

Really? I thought it was one of the scariest ever made!

It is. I am just trying to be cool!
"My carriage is being prepared, I will be there at dusk; the adherents of the wheel will suffer" - the Queen's Fool
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Horror games that weren't that scary