You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Favorite underrated horror games
darthcorpse posted...
Hmm aren't most horror games under-rated, generally speaking?

This is sadly true.
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: VisionRing30

VisionRing30
3 weeks ago#12
I don't know if it's underrated or just rare, but I never see people talking about Kuon for the PS2. I guess I wouldn't call it my favorite horror game but it was fun if not really scary.
"Laughter is the countdown of devastation."- Killer 7, end of Sunset

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
3 weeks ago#13
VisionRing30 posted...
I don't know if it's underrated or just rare, but I never see people talking about Kuon for the PS2. I guess I wouldn't call it my favorite horror game but it was fun if not really scary.

Might be because it's so hard to get hold of. I would love to play it!

User Info: VisionRing30

VisionRing30
3 weeks ago#14
Yeah, I figured it's probably more rare than underrated. I'm just lucky to have a good friend who tracked down a copy for me, otherwise I'd probably never play it. If you can find it for a decent price it's definitely worth it.
"Laughter is the countdown of devastation."- Killer 7, end of Sunset

User Info: StoneyEyedPunk

StoneyEyedPunk
2 weeks ago#15
Maybe a bit of a hot take, but Condemned 2 I thought was pretty good. The latter half of the game wholly s*** the bed but the first half was solid and the expanded combat was fantastic. On top of that, the multiplayer nobody wanted turned out to be a lot of fun and some of the modes managed to keep a tense atmosphere like you'd expect from a good horror game. The small community it did have was great, too.
You a rat, that's a cool thing to a cat.

User Info: Citan22

Citan22
2 weeks ago#16
darthcorpse posted...

I guess Cursed Mountain would be a contender. Another might be Ghost Hunter, for PS2, though I haven't played enough of it to know it is genuinely horror.

read through topic to see if this was mentioned. it's probably my #1 underrated horror game, and i like to think i've played a lot of em..

Cursed Mountain is not very popular because, first of all, it was on the Wii - which is actually home to quite a few survival horror games, but still catered to a younger more casual crowd and this game was one of the more obscure mature titles on the system. second.. it was on the Wii - which means a bunch of people instinctively assumed the motion controls sucked and didn't buy it and another bunch of people bought it and quickly determined the motion controls do suck and quit playing..

well the controls don't suck.. it's been a long time so i may have this reversed, but here is the issue: the way the manual/tutorial presents the controls, a player may assume they are to hold the remote and nunchuk pointed toward the screen, more or less level to the ground, like most Wii games. in actuality, and this is only when performing the 'spells' with the magical hatchet (or whatever it is you're banishing the evil spirit baddies with) you are supposed to hold the remote and nunchuk vertically in front of you (as if showing Dracula a pair of crucifixes) and then do the motion(s). remember that and it all works pretty flawlessly..

also, if you're going to play Cursed Mountain, please do so in the winter. the game's cold, dark and snowy atmosphere is probably the best thing about it.. and i can't help thinking that playing it in the middle of summer would hurt the experience. Resident Evil 1 is my middle of summer horror game, btw - takes place in July and i just happened to first play through it on the nights of an especially hot and humid summer break.. when you walk out into that little courtyard/garden and hear the crickets chirping, that's exactly what i was hearing through my window at that same time. weird how you remember things like that, but i digress..

i've also played Ghost Hunter lol. fun game, but very lighthearted, linear, and action oriented.. not exactly bad things, mind you. and while it's very impressive visually (supports progressive scan thru component), it's not nearly as atmospheric as a game like Cursed Mountain, which has more of a Fatal Frame vibe.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Citan22/games/owned

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
2 weeks ago#17
Citan22 posted...
darthcorpse posted...

I guess Cursed Mountain would be a contender. Another might be Ghost Hunter, for PS2, though I haven't played enough of it to know it is genuinely horror.

read through topic to see if this was mentioned. it's probably my #1 underrated horror game, and i like to think i've played a lot of em..

Cursed Mountain is not very popular because, first of all, it was on the Wii - which is actually home to quite a few survival horror games, but still catered to a younger more casual crowd and this game was one of the more obscure mature titles on the system. second.. it was on the Wii - which means a bunch of people instinctively assumed the motion controls sucked and didn't buy it and another bunch of people bought it and quickly determined the motion controls do suck and quit playing..

well the controls don't suck.. it's been a long time so i may have this reversed, but here is the issue: the way the manual/tutorial presents the controls, a player may assume they are to hold the remote and nunchuk pointed toward the screen, more or less level to the ground, like most Wii games. in actuality, and this is only when performing the 'spells' with the magical hatchet (or whatever it is you're banishing the evil spirit baddies with) you are supposed to hold the remote and nunchuk vertically in front of you (as if showing Dracula a pair of crucifixes) and then do the motion(s). remember that and it all works pretty flawlessly..

also, if you're going to play Cursed Mountain, please do so in the winter. the game's cold, dark and snowy atmosphere is probably the best thing about it.. and i can't help thinking that playing it in the middle of summer would hurt the experience. Resident Evil 1 is my middle of summer horror game, btw - takes place in July and i just happened to first play through it on the nights of an especially hot and humid summer break.. when you walk out into that little courtyard/garden and hear the crickets chirping, that's exactly what i was hearing through my window at that same time. weird how you remember things like that, but i digress..

i've also played Ghost Hunter lol. fun game, but very lighthearted, linear, and action oriented.. not exactly bad things, mind you. and while it's very impressive visually (supports progressive scan thru component), it's not nearly as atmospheric as a game like Cursed Mountain, which has more of a Fatal Frame vibe.

Great post. I agree...The controls are in general fine. I had trouble a few times, but I think my controller or sensor bar are screwed slightly anyway, so they were probably the problem. When it worked well, I found the controls immersive and visceral. I think the atmosphere was the strongest point. It was so cold and creepy and isolated. The bits where the wii remote doubles as a walkie talkie were great too.

As much as I enjoyed it on the Wii, I am glad it is possible to play on the PC now, which means more people will hopefully try it and enjoy it. It does have some similarities with Fatal Frame, I agree.

Good thoughts about the seasonal aspect. I think you're right that for many a nice summer day would dispel the atmosphere. Also cool to hear how RE1 worked so well during the summer for you.

User Info: yadehtsiyadot

yadehtsiyadot
2 weeks ago#18
Kuon and Ghosthunter are both worth a playthrough.

Just finished both RE: Revelations installments. I was a little late to get to them.
Bloodborne: https://www.youtube.com/PraiseTheHunt
Bedlam Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthYLU5wCVu2MdhqTFlj3RQ
yadehtsiyadot posted...
Just finished both RE: Revelations installments. I was a little late to get to them.

Those are among my all time favorite games. How were they? Did you like them?
Horror fans can discuss horror games here: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/1482-horror-games
My dearest beloved Light, you will remain my love for eternity

User Info: yadehtsiyadot

yadehtsiyadot
2 weeks ago#20
lightningxiii-2 posted...
yadehtsiyadot posted...

Those are among my all time favorite games. How were they? Did you like them?

The first one, the enemies felt like they were outta Silent Hill, although the bosses felt like RE. I didn't really care for the bosses in the game, except for the last one. That was an interesting and challenging fight. There was too much swimming in it. The only swimming in RE, should be swimming back to your boat after being knocked out from Del Lago. Overall, I really didn't care for it. I did enjoy it more than some of the other installments though.

The second one, the enemies felt like they were straight out of The Suffering, and it even starts off in a prison. The game kinda felt like The Suffering meets Left 4 Dead with an RE4 camera. I thought the pacing was well done, and the difficulty on Normal was perfect. The amount of ammunition you received was a perfect balance. That being said, I really dug the second one. I was actually impressed with it and surprised at how much I enjoyed the experience. Probably my 5th favorite RE if that even means anything[it doesn't].
Bloodborne: https://www.youtube.com/PraiseTheHunt
Bedlam Video: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthYLU5wCVu2MdhqTFlj3RQ
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Favorite underrated horror games