You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Any horror games you couldn't complete?

User Info: iddy1994

iddy1994
1 month ago#41
evilpresident posted...
The Alone in the Dark reboot. Not because it was scary but it was just so convulated and just plain not fun to play.

I couldn't play that either XD

User Info: Mr_Mason_W2DS

Mr_Mason_W2DS
1 month ago#42
darthcorpse posted...
Hmm, embarrassed to admit, but Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare has something unpleasant about it. I think partially cause the enemies are quite hard to kill, and respawn. I have to return to it someday...as a fan of Cosmic Horror, it is rather appealing in many ways. It is also very old school, but looks ok as a PS2 game. Has lots of atmosphere and a cold industrial soundtrack to the combat. It also has some really cool scares. My favourite happens at the beginning...just head left rather than right when given the choice, and go straight to the gate. Don't blink.

Nothing to be embarrassed about! There are moments where the atmosphere and dread in that game matched or surpassed any of its contemporaries, and even some modern games!

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
1 month ago#43
Mr_Mason_W2DS posted...
darthcorpse posted...
Hmm, embarrassed to admit, but Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare has something unpleasant about it. I think partially cause the enemies are quite hard to kill, and respawn. I have to return to it someday...as a fan of Cosmic Horror, it is rather appealing in many ways. It is also very old school, but looks ok as a PS2 game. Has lots of atmosphere and a cold industrial soundtrack to the combat. It also has some really cool scares. My favourite happens at the beginning...just head left rather than right when given the choice, and go straight to the gate. Don't blink.

Nothing to be embarrassed about! There are moments where the atmosphere and dread in that game matched or surpassed any of its contemporaries, and even some modern games!

You're right! It is a great example of almost cosmic horror done right. I will revisit it eventually and complete it. Obviously i want to experience both characters' stories.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Mr_Mason_W2DS

Mr_Mason_W2DS
1 month ago#44
darthcorpse posted...

You're right! It is a great example of almost cosmic horror done right. I will revisit it eventually and complete it. Obviously i want to experience both characters' stories.

Most definitely! I don't know if you were ever a fan of the original Resident Evil 2, but the character interactions in The New Nightmare, and the way their stories diverge into different paths but are interconnected, are even more fleshed out and well done (narratively speaking, as the game doesn't have a "zapping system" like RE2 where gameplay choices as one character affect the other), aside from a few minor inconsistencies. It definitely feels like with each character, you're getting to see a whole other side of the story, especially given that after the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the game, the characters even branch out into totally different areas...but still stay in frequent contact on their hand radios, for actual meaningful conversations in plot development, character development, and gameplay. And with a few admitted inconsistencies, for the most part the conversation you witness (whether in person or on the radio) with one character still exists (with minor inconsistencies in tone and word choice) if you play as the other character, so it's neat getting to see the same events from the other character's view, or see where they were during such and such radio conversation, etc.

I know that's getting off topic, with me homing in on your plans to experience both characters, but I just thought it was really well done, and as survival horror game player characters having intersecting scenarios go, it's a real gem that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

User Info: darthcorpse

darthcorpse
1 month ago#45
Mr_Mason_W2DS posted...
darthcorpse posted...

Most definitely! I don't know if you were ever a fan of the original Resident Evil 2, but the character interactions in The New Nightmare, and the way their stories diverge into different paths but are interconnected, are even more fleshed out and well done (narratively speaking, as the game doesn't have a "zapping system" like RE2 where gameplay choices as one character affect the other), aside from a few minor inconsistencies. It definitely feels like with each character, you're getting to see a whole other side of the story, especially given that after the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the game, the characters even branch out into totally different areas...but still stay in frequent contact on their hand radios, for actual meaningful conversations in plot development, character development, and gameplay. And with a few admitted inconsistencies, for the most part the conversation you witness (whether in person or on the radio) with one character still exists (with minor inconsistencies in tone and word choice) if you play as the other character, so it's neat getting to see the same events from the other character's view, or see where they were during such and such radio conversation, etc.

I know that's getting off topic, with me homing in on your plans to experience both characters, but I just thought it was really well done, and as survival horror game player characters having intersecting scenarios go, it's a real gem that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Well that just gives me more enthusiasm to beat it one day! I actually missed RE back in the day, both 1 and 2. Shame cause I could have played 2 on my n64 at least, had i realized it existed back then! But it sounds great how they interweave the stories in Alone. Definitely cool to hear, and makes it sound even more awesome than I realised!
  1. Boards
  2. Horror Games
  3. Any horror games you couldn't complete?